Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default A Black Pittsburgh teen beaten by police officers for large object: bottle of M. Dew

(AP) PITTSBURGH (AP) - The photos taken by Jordan Miles' mother show his face covered with raw, red bruises, his cheek and lip swollen, his right eye swollen shut. A bald spot mars the long black dreadlocks where the 18-year-old violist says police tore them from his head.

Now, 10 days after plainclothes officers stopped him on a street and arrested him after a struggle that they say revealed a soda bottle under his coat, not the gun they suspected, his right eye is still slightly swollen and bloodshot. His head is shaved. The three white officers who arrested him have been reassigned. And his mother says she is considering a lawsuit.

"I feel that my son was racially profiled," Terez Miles said. "It's a rough neighborhood; it was after dark. ... They assumed he was up to no good because he's black. My son, he knows nothing about the streets at all. He's had a very sheltered life, he's very quiet, he doesn't know police officers sit in cars and stalk people like that."

A judge continued the case until Feb. 18 after the officers failed to appear at a hearing Thursday, Miles' attorney, Kerrington Lewis, said.

The police department is saying little as it investigates and isn't releasing the officers' names. Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said that the city is investigating whether the officers' actions were justified and that if they weren't, "they will be held accountable for those actions."

"The incident was very troubling to me, and we're taking it very seriously," Ravenstahl told reporters. "It seems as if there was a tremendous amount of force used."

Miles' family describes him as a studious teenager who plays the viola for a jazz band and the orchestra at Pittsburgh's prestigious Creative and Performing Arts High School.

The confrontation began around 11 p.m. Jan. 12, when the teenager walked out of his mother's home and headed to his grandmother's, where he spends most nights. His mother complimented him on the new jacket he had gotten for his birthday.

"It looks handsome," she said, smiling as he walked down the front steps.

As Miles walked up the block, he noticed three men sitting in a white car, "but I thought nothing of it," he said.

The criminal complaint says Miles was standing against a building "as if he was trying to avoid being seen." But he says he was walking when the men jumped out of the car.

"Where's the money?" one shouted, according to Miles. "Where's the gun? Where's the drugs?" the other two said. "It was intimidating; I thought I was going to be robbed," Miles said.

That's when he says he took off back to his mother's house but slipped on the icy sidewalk. Before he could pull himself up, Miles said, the men were at his back.

"That's when they started beating me, punching, kicking me, choking me," he said.

Not until 15 minutes later, when uniformed officers drove up in a van and Miles overheard their conversation, did he realize he had been arrested, he said. Initially, when the handcuffs were clamped around his wrists, he thought he was being abducted, he said.

The police believed Miles, who appeared to have something heavy in his pocket, was carrying a gun, according to the affidavit. The police say they used a stun gun on the teenager.

According to the affidavit, the object in Miles' pocket turned out to be a bottle of Mountain Dew. But Miles says he didn't have anything in his pocket and rarely drinks Mountain Dew.

"The story just doesn't make sense when you read the affidavit," said Lewis, the teen's attorney.

Miles said the family is considering suing the police department and the officers.

"I knew that he hadn't done anything wrong," his mother said. "That's just not an option for Jordan."

Pittsburgh police have reassigned the three officers and put them back in uniform while the city investigates, spokeswoman Diane Richard said. She declined to say whether racial allegations are part of the probe.

Meanwhile, Jordan Miles says he awaits a physician's approval to return to school and is suffering from nightmares and flashbacks.

Once he's done with school, he says, he hopes to attend Penn State University - and study crime scene investigation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...3A+CBSNews.com)

http://www.ksn.com/content/news/also...0VxY4fPng.cspx

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/22/...ute/index.html
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Re: A Black Pittsburgh teen beaten by police officers for large object: bottle of M.

Ah yes, a 5'6" black male, minding his own business, carrying a deadly weapon known as "Mountain Dew", sees three men in plain clothes jump out of a car, and beat the hell out of him over his Mountain Dew because they deem it necessary.

They should just lock this kid up and throw away the key because he is an obvious danger to society. Great job cops, great job.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: A Black Pittsburgh teen beaten by police officers for large object: bottle of M.

Good thing he wasn't carrying a cell phone in Brentwood, or it would have been a lot worse.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

Wow, that sucks.
And who wouldn't be creeped out by 3 men in a car & make some attempt to avoid them?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,170 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Good thing he wasn't carrying a cell phone in Brentwood, or it would have been a lot worse.
Or a soda can in Denver - he would've been shot.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Wait a second, the kid, allegedly, is carrying a bottle of Mt. Dew and a criminal complaint is filed for what??? Is the dew illegal in Pittsburgh these days? What the hell is he arrested for? Resisting? The story make no mention of the cops identifying themselves as cops so that's out. What in the world is there a criminal complaint filed for? Even if he was arrested, who is the moron District Attorney that filed that garbage?
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Wait a second, the kid, allegedly, is carrying a bottle of Mt. Dew and a criminal complaint is filed for what??? Is the dew illegal in Pittsburgh these days? What the hell is he arrested for? Resisting? The story make no mention of the cops identifying themselves as cops so that's out. What in the world is there a criminal complaint filed for? Even if he was arrested, who is the moron District Attorney that filed that garbage?
what are the charges? if they dint identify themselves i too would have fought for my life. freaking assclowns. I realize being a cop is a hard job, but how about getting out of the car identifying yourself and asking to see what is in his pocket? then if he runs chase. 99,9% of the time if you have done nothing wrong your gonna say oh well it s a bottle of dew. oh and put the cops bnack oni teh streets in uniform while being investigated how about sit your hinney at home with no pay

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

While I normally am very supportive of police in general, this incident absolutely horrifies me and isn't the first time Pittsburgh Police have been accused of using excessive force. I only hope this matter is investigated thoroughly and if what this young man and his mother are alleging is true, they are fired and held not only criminally responsible but civilly, as well. In other words - sue the living out of them.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Let me see...they see a kid...with dreads...walking the streets at night...yeah, he must automatically be a drug-dealing thug!

I normally support police officers too, but heads had damn well better roll for this. This is outrageous and was a completely unnecessary use of force.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
The story make no mention of the cops identifying themselves as cops so that's out.
Exactly. This is why plainclothes and undercover cops should never engage a suspect unless there's imminent danger. The whole point of not having a uniform is to blend in and look like a civilian.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote