Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Here's To Hoping The Steelers Don't Draft A Cornerback Early On In 2010 Draft

Last week, we posted a roundup of what some of the early mock drafts have the Pittsburgh Steelers doing with the 18th pick of the 2010 NFL Draft. Yes, there was some variability in what the 'draft gurus' believed the Steelers would and should do with their 1st Round pick this year. For instance, one site had the Steelers taking Clemson running back C.J. Spiller. Most though believed Pittsburgh would bolster their defense in round one, and amongst those who did, most identified the secondary as the area Pittsburgh would likely target. More specifically, the Steelers ought to draft a cornerback in the 1st Round if you go by the early consensus of draft niks.

I totally disagree. Here's several reasons why.

1) Last time I checked, the Steelers drafted two cornerbacks last year - Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett. Granted, Lewis was a 3rd rounder and Burnett a 5th, but Lewis in particular has the physical tools to one day be a starter in this league. He just needs some time to learn the game at this level, much like the Steelers incumbent #1 CB Ike Taylor did earlier in his career. By drafting a cornerback in 2010 to play immediately, the Steelers would essentially be giving up on one of those two picks. How so? Well, Taylor's not going anywhere anytime soon. He'll turn 30 in May, but regardless of your opinion of him as an instinctive natural at the position, it's impossible to deny that Taylor is one of the most freakishly fit and durable specimens on the roster. So if it were Taylor and a 2010 1st rounder locking down the CB positions for the foreseeable future, that makes it difficult to work in Lewis and Burnett...not too mention....

2) William Gay. There was no tougher critic of William Gay than me all year. I definitely was disappointed to be 'right' about this one, but I worried 'on the record' here during last year's offseason that I thought the defense would suffer fairly dramatically by inserting him in to the slot once manned by Bryant McFadden. Nevertheless, Gay's struggles this year will pay dividends for the team next year. I'm positive he'll work harder than he has before in his life this offseason to improve his body and game for next year. Even though 'we're the Steelers' and have enjoyed frequent success for quite some time now, it's impossible to stay at the top year in and year out in this league due to the salary cap, and the demands it places on teams to continually work in less expensive, young talent. That means some down years from time to time, even for the best franchises. It would be foolish I believe to give up on Gay and not reap some dividends in future years for the losses the team incurred while working him in to the fold in 2010.

3) It's impossible to really say just how much of a difference Troy Polamalu makes when he's out there and healthy. On the one hand, it's easy to argue that there are 11 guys out there and that no single player can or should be that much of a difference maker. On the other hand, the proof may just be in the pudding. When #43 plays, the Steelers win and make life awfully tough on opposing offenses. With Polamalu doing his thing, our cornerbacks have looked significantly better in years past than they have when he's shelved with an injury.

Now, it might be argued that the Steelers should consider finding another top shelf safety to play alongside Polamalu given his propensity for getting injured. I'd be amenable to that for sure, though I haven't yet scoured the draft boards closely enough to know who might be a good fit.

Getting a cornerback this year though in the 1st Round doesn't make sense to me. I'd instead look for a homerun pick at ILB or at nose tackle. James Farrior's replacement needs to be secured sooner rather than later. So does Casey Hampton's. I don't see that same immediate need at the cornerback position, particularly when you consider the fact that Pittsburgh plays in the AFC North where a high premium is placed on winning the battle at the line of scrimmage and fielding a physical team in the trenches. We know Baltimore's offensive line and running game is in good shape for the future; same with Cincinnati, and to a lesser degree, even Cleveland.

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts and I'm sure I'll be expounding on some of these thoughts in the future weeks and months, but for now, this is my story and I'm sticking to it - let's see what the Steelers can do next year defensively if Polamalu's back healthy and our young DBs have had that much more time to develop. If we see the same problems rear their ugly head next year - namely, if #43 can't stay healthy again, and if guys like Gay, Lewis and Burnett struggle - then maybe it'd be time to invest heavily in getting a lockdown corner early on in the Draft. For now though, I believe Pittsburgh would be better served packaging a number of their mid round picks to move up in Round 1 and get a slam dunk pick like Rolando McClain, Gerald McCoy or even one of the prized offensive tackles of this year's Draft

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-steelers-dont
Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Here's To Hoping The Steelers Don't Draft A Cornerback Early On In 2010 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
. For now though, I believe Pittsburgh would be better served packaging a number of their mid round picks to move up in Round 1 and get a slam dunk pick like Rolando McClain, Gerald McCoy or even one of the prized offensive tackles of this year's Draft

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-steelers-dont
I agree with the premise of the article and think that we will better served in picking up a NT or Safety in the first.

I do however disagree with two things. 1) We have no chance of picking up McCoy, who will probably go in the top three and would virtually cost us our whole draft. Besides I think he is a proto-typical 4-3 DT and not a 3-4 NT. 2) If we want an OT, we are sitting in the right spot to get one. Without a doubt, one of the 1st round rated OT's will be available at #18.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Re: Here's To Hoping The Steelers Don't Draft A Cornerback Early On In 2010 Draft

Quote:
2) If we want an OT, we are sitting in the right spot to get one. Without a doubt, one of the 1st round rated OT's will be available at #18.
Right in the pocket of Bulaga, Campbell, or Davis.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

i for one would love to see the steelers draft cj spiller. if we want to get back to running the ball cj would be the man. mendenhall and cj would make a great tandem. of course we need help on the d-line and of o-line and farrior is getting old in an hurry. so who knows.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
fat4jc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3201

Not denying Spiller's talent here, but if the Steelers take Spiller in round 1, I'm going to be very upset. I like the CB talent in this draft class, so passing on a CB in round 1 is okay with me, as long as we address that position in the 2nd. For what it's worth (very little), I think we need to use our 1st rounder on one of the following positions:

1) NT (assuming Hampton is gone)
2) ILB
3) Safety
fat4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
jdthree
Water Boy

Member Number: 8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4jc View Post
Not denying Spiller's talent here, but if the Steelers take Spiller in round 1, I'm going to be very upset. I like the CB talent in this draft class, so passing on a CB in round 1 is okay with me, as long as we address that position in the 2nd. For what it's worth (very little), I think we need to use our 1st rounder on one of the following positions:

1) NT (assuming Hampton is gone)
2) ILB
3) Safety

The only issue that I have with the above positions is that there is only one person that is (right now) worthy of drafting in the first.

NT - with the new revelation of Codys weight, Williams is the only true NT to be worthy of a first round pick

ILB - McClain, unless you value Spikes more than most draftnuts out there, and

Safety - Earl Thomas is pretty much the only one I'd pick as Mays has the measuables, but doesn't have the instincts or ball skills to be worthy of a FS.

So while I don't disagree with you, the amount of players at each of those positions is quite small, and inmho, down to only one person.

But the amount of players at the O-line is somewhat bigger, obviously depending on how the draft falls to us.... but I see several players that very well could be interesting to us.....

Brian Bulaga
Anthony Davis
Bruce Campbell
Mike Iupati
Trent Williams

And while our O-line wasn't our glaring weakness this season, we will be getting our two best defensive players back next year. Combine that with the CB and S class being pretty deep this year, I'm leaning towards getting someone like Iupati in the first and then going mostly D the rest of the way.
jdthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I don't disagree with the general notion either...I PRAY that Lewis AND Burnett pan out.

That being said, fans becoming enamored of certain players doesn't increase their ability to perform on the field. If they aren't able to make the step up, the coaches will be aware of that and draft accordingly. I think one year IS enough to get a viable sense of the potential the DB's on this team possess. I hope that the assessment of Gay (which clearly was off) was an anomaly.

IF Burnett and Lewis aren't starter caliber, then we do need to take a good, hard, long look at CB early, and I would have no problem trading the second pick to move up and take Joe Haden if it's possible, but only if necessary. Otherwise I like DT at #1.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
Right in the pocket of Bulaga, Campbell, or Davis.
Or maybe even Trent Williams, depending on workouts.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
SteelersTilIDie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4943

absolutely depends on if joe haden is on the board or not, if not then it's not worth it

“Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it.”~Chuck Noll
SteelersTilIDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersTilIDie View Post
absolutely depends on if joe haden is on the board or not, if not then it's not worth it
At #18?

No way. If we covet him, we're moving up....