Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Tim Tebow an NFL QB? Fail.

The MAIN concern I have with Tebow is the mental aspects of being a QB in the NFL. You can't rely on physicality or pure athleticism to read a defense or go through progressions.

You don't have to have prototypical NFL size (look at Brees), or have phenomenal arm-strength (look at Pennington, a vastly underrated QB), but you DO have to possess the mental capabilities to play on Sunday's. That's where I think he'll fall flat...
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
The MAIN concern I have with Tebow is the mental aspects of being a QB in the NFL. You can't rely on physicality or pure athleticism to read a defense or go through progressions.

You don't have to have prototypical NFL size (look at Brees), or have phenomenal arm-strength (look at Pennington, a vastly underrated QB), but you DO have to possess the mental capabilities to play on Sunday's. That's where I think he'll fall flat...
but that assumption is in direct conflict with what Sparano had to say in LLT's post...

Quote:
South team coach Tony Sparano of the Miami Dolphins says the former Florida star was a little more comfortable and got the ball out of his hand quicker on Tuesday. Sparano says that improvement shows how smart Tebow is and how quickly he processes information.
I don't think his "smarts" is what will hold him back, nor his physical attributes, but his technique and skill development.

The wild cat would love him, but that has proved to not be an every down scheme in the NFL.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
I don't think his "smarts" is what will hold him back, nor his physical attributes, but his technique and skill development.

The wild cat would love him, but that has proved to not be an every down scheme in the NFL.
Agreed...I am going to keep an eye on his mechanics. He seems to me to have almost the same wind-up of Matt Lienhart, which I never liked.

I am still thinking that he is drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
We haven't seen Tebow play yet, therefore he might not be a bust because he might even go in the 5th round as a backup quarterback... and do an ok job at that

im reserving my judgement until he starts stinking up the field.
Thats fine your allowed to reserve judgement until he actually plays the position in the NFL, however based on stuff you already know its not wrong of any of us to take a guess at how good he will be.

Based on poor accuracy the fact he took every snap from the gun in college AND his extremely long throwing motion my first guess is he wont be very successful at the NFL level.

Hes a smart guy and i think has some ability to correct some of those problems and if he does great, i dont have a problem with Tebow.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #15
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

http://blogs.tampabay.com/gators/200...f-theyear.html

Tim Tebow wins second ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American of theYear
Florida quarterback Tim Tebow has won the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America of the Year award, becoming the first student-athlete to earn the honor two consecutive years in the University Division.

Tebow is the first Florida athlete in any sport to earn first-team Academic All-America honors three-consecutive years and the first football player from the SEC to be chosen to the first team three-straight times. He joins Carlos Alvarez as the only three-time Academic All-Americans in football at Florida. Alvarez earned first-team recognition in 1969 and second-team accolades in 1970 and 1971.

Tebow is majoring in Family, Youth and Community Sciences and has a 3.66 grade point average.

What a crock. You're so full of it it's laughable.

I'm not saying he will or wont make it as an NFL qb. My guess is that he wont, but it has nothing to do with not possessing "the mental capabilities" to play the position.

If he fails in his attempt to play qb in the NFL it will almost certainly be due to flawed mechanics in his throwing motion and his drop backs.

Unlearning virtually involuntary muscle memory in your mechanics while trying to figure out a game that plays out at about 1000 mph is probably too high a hurdle for almost anyone to overcome.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #16
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

You do realize, though, that his 3.66 GPA comes from majoring in Family, Youth, and Community Sciences. That doesn't exactly evoke the impression of a winner of the Fields Medal in Mathematics!

I don't think that Tebow is stupid by any stretch of the imagination, but he isn't particularly "football smart", either. His size has allowed him to get away with that during his college years----instead of reading defenses and allowing plays to develop based on the defense read, he just takes off running. His size has allowed him to be successful at that at the college level. But in the pros...the game is a lot faster and everyone is big.

My reason for not liking Tebow is that he is selfish and a poor sportsman. I have seen him on more than one occasion mouthing-off to and flipping-the-bird to opposing teams fans in the stands. That's not exactly classy sportsmanship---especially for someone who apparently wants to be a pro QB (incidentally, it's also one of the reasons I don't like Rivers). For all of Tebow's Bible-bashing (no offense intended to those of you who study the Bible regularly...) he certainly doesn't walk the walk of a humble Christian---as the Bible says we should.
Next (with regard to his selfishness)---have you ever noticed that any time the Gators ran an option outside the Red zoneTebow always pitched it to the back; but if they were inside the Red zone he always kept it to score the TD himself? Very selfish player...

EDIT:
I also agree with the difficulty in overcoming his flawed mechanics---too high of a hurdle to overcome. But I have a feeling he would make a good TE...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
http://blogs.tampabay.com/gators/200...f-theyear.html

Tim Tebow wins second ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American of theYear
Florida quarterback Tim Tebow has won the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America of the Year award, becoming the first student-athlete to earn the honor two consecutive years in the University Division.

Tebow is the first Florida athlete in any sport to earn first-team Academic All-America honors three-consecutive years and the first football player from the SEC to be chosen to the first team three-straight times. He joins Carlos Alvarez as the only three-time Academic All-Americans in football at Florida. Alvarez earned first-team recognition in 1969 and second-team accolades in 1970 and 1971.

Tebow is majoring in Family, Youth and Community Sciences and has a 3.66 grade point average.

What a crock. You're so full of it it's laughable.

I'm not saying he will or wont make it as an NFL qb. My guess is that he wont, but it has nothing to do with not possessing "the mental capabilities" to play the position.

If he fails in his attempt to play qb in the NFL it will almost certainly be due to flawed mechanics in his throwing motion and his drop backs.

Unlearning virtually involuntary muscle memory in your mechanics while trying to figure out a game that plays out at about 1000 mph is probably too high a hurdle for almost anyone to overcome.
Being smart in the classroom doesn't mean you will be "smart" when it comes to reading defenses and making quick judgments, 2 things you need to do at least reasonably well to make it as an NFL QB. If he is deficient at either or both, he will flame out big time, bad mechanics aside.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #18
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo View Post
You do realize, though, that his 3.66 GPA comes from majoring in Family, Youth, and Community Sciences. That doesn't exactly evoke the impression of a winner of the Fields Medal in Mathematics!

I don't think that Tebow is stupid by any stretch of the imagination, but he isn't particularly "football smart", either. His size has allowed him to get away with that during his college years----instead of reading defenses and allowing plays to develop based on the defense read, he just takes off running. His size has allowed him to be successful at that at the college level. But in the pros...the game is a lot faster and everyone is big.

My reason for not liking Tebow is that he is selfish and a poor sportsman. I have seen him on more than one occasion mouthing-off to and flipping-the-bird to opposing teams fans in the stands. That's not exactly classy sportsmanship---especially for someone who apparently wants to be a pro QB (incidentally, it's also one of the reasons I don't like Rivers). For all of Tebow's Bible-bashing (no offense intended to those of you who study the Bible regularly...) he certainly doesn't walk the walk of a humble Christian---as the Bible says we should.
Next (with regard to his selfishness)---have you ever noticed that any time the Gators ran an option outside the Red zoneTebow always pitched it to the back; but if they were inside the Red zone he always kept it to score the TD himself? Very selfish player...

EDIT:
I also agree with the difficulty in overcoming his flawed mechanics---too high of a hurdle to overcome. But I have a feeling he would make a good TE...

"Football smart", and natural NFL ability usually go hand in hand in my opinion. Dan Marino had a terrible wonderlic score but supposedly read defenses with the best of them. The reason I say supposed is because Marino's natural ability in certain areas was so great that he literally had a second and half advantage in making his reads over a normal NFL qb.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Dan probably just had a bad day when he took the wonderlic. He wasn't and isn't a dummy. But at the same token i don't think he was ever one of the games great thinkers either. The Patriots used to roll out some sort of double zone that Dan still hasn't figured out to this day.

Anyway Marino probably had as close to a perfect release and throwing mechanics as anyone who ever played the game. No one taught him that, he was as fluid and sound fundamentally in his hs days at Central Catholic as he was at the peak of his NFL career.

Conversly Tebow's technique was always flawed and probably always will be. If he could have been corrected in an expediant manner I think Urban Meyer and the Gators coaching staff would have done so by now. It would be a major feather into their cap if he succeeded at the next level. So if they could have tore him down and remade him in a more acceptable NFL way without sacrificing the Gators season they almost certainly would have.

Don't be surprised if next year the Gators run more plays from a pro style set with a genuine NFL qb prospect running the plays.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #19
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Dan Marino had a terrible wonderlic score but supposedly read defenses with the best of them.
Dan Marino had the same Wonderlic as Terry Bradshaw.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Dan Marino had the same Wonderlic as Terry Bradshaw.
I don't think they were using the wonderlic when Terry came into the league? Are you sure he ever even took that test?