Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Tim Tebow an NFL QB? Fail.

LOL....I know complete morons who coasted all the way through post-graduate degrees with 4.0's. Knowledge and grades have little to do with each other, and grades have NOTHING to do with the ability to read a defense or play QB in the NFL.

You either have it or you don't...and some guys have a higher football IQ than others. I don't think Tebow has it...but it sure is fun to watch the apologists get offended and make excuses for him.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #22
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
LOL....I know complete morons who coasted all the way through post-graduate degrees with 4.0's. Knowledge and grades have little to do with each other, and grades have NOTHING to do with the ability to read a defense or play QB in the NFL.

You either have it or you don't...and some guys have a higher football IQ than others. I don't think Tebow has it...but it sure is fun to watch the apologists get offended and make excuses for him.
And my contention remains that if Tebow had a naturally quicker release and more refined mechanics that the game would speed up for him to the point that the ancillary things like reading defenses and hitting receivers out of breaks would fall into place for him.

Tebow could have all the football smarts in the world. Some day he might be the next great coach in the game for all any of us know?. But if he doesn't have the physical ability to execute as an NFL quarerback all that knowledge will get him nowhere, because he just wont have the capacity to get the ball where it needs to be in a timely enough fashion. The way he carries the ball in the pocket, the trajectory he delivers it with etc... just aren't made for the NFL game.

It's not a question of .IQ football or otherwise. He's simply not refined enough for the NFL game.

So how about we make it about what it is rather than about what it's not?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #23
Venom
Team Captain

Member Number: 13824

Tebow , late second rounder or early third rounder
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #24
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Tebow , late second rounder or early third rounder
Even if I could watch the Senior Bowl (which I can't because TWC STILL won't carry the NFL Network), I would put little stock in anything Tebow (or any of the other QB's, for that matter) manages to accomplish. He's not going to be looking at anything all that complicated or complex from the defenses this week, simply because they only have a week to insert a defense. I think for the QB's, the week of practice is the important thing.

I concur about him going late in the first day...you've got a system QB with poor mechanics, poor footwork, and who has trouble understanding defenses and locks on WR's.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #25
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo View Post
You do realize, though, that his 3.66 GPA comes from majoring in Family, Youth, and Community Sciences. That doesn't exactly evoke the impression of a winner of the Fields Medal in Mathematics!

I don't think that Tebow is stupid by any stretch of the imagination, but he isn't particularly "football smart", either. His size has allowed him to get away with that during his college years----instead of reading defenses and allowing plays to develop based on the defense read, he just takes off running.

I understand what you're saying, but was that Tebow or the offensive design?

His size has allowed him to be successful at that at the college level. But in the pros...the game is a lot faster and everyone is big.

It will be interesting to see how the qb's that follow Tebow will fare as NFL prospects if at all? Some successfull teams just are designed in the way that they would never progress a qb's game to the next level. I think the smartest move Troy Aikman ever made was transfering out of Oklahama to UCLA. It certainly didn't help him win games in college, but he never would have been a viable qb candidate in NFL scouts minds if had stayed. imo

My reason for not liking Tebow is that he is selfish and a poor sportsman. I have seen him on more than one occasion mouthing-off to and flipping-the-bird to opposing teams fans in the stands. That's not exactly classy sportsmanship---especially for someone who apparently wants to be a pro QB (incidentally, it's also one of the reasons I don't like Rivers). For all of Tebow's Bible-bashing (no offense intended to those of you who study the Bible regularly...) he certainly doesn't walk the walk of a humble Christian---as the Bible says we should.

I think it's just the competiior in him coming out? I'm not big on those sort of displays either, but everything this guy's ever done, good or bad, has been magnified because he's had the spotlight on him virtually from day one. There's probably been worse offenses by others that we just don't know about because they don't draw the attention of the media the way Tebow does.

Next (with regard to his selfishness)---have you ever noticed that any time the Gators ran an option outside the Red zoneTebow always pitched it to the back; but if they were inside the Red zone he always kept it to score the TD himself? Very selfish player...

Also a very successfull player. Again what he was being told by the coaching staff leading up to the game we can only guess? Maybe that the way Urban Meyer wanted it? He didn't seem to mind it regardless. And Meyer certainly comes off as genuine in his respect for Tebow both as an athlete and a person. If he was a selfish player, a guy who didn't elevate others around him, I really don't think his coach would be as enthusiastic of a supporter.

EDIT:
I also agree with the difficulty in overcoming his flawed mechanics---too high of a hurdle to overcome. But I have a feeling he would make a good TE...
Bottom line I think Tebow was the perfect qb for the Gators, but i don't think his game translates to the next level. He was one of the best ever college qb's, but that's probably as far as it will ever go.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #26
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I believe you'll see Tim Tebow under center in the NFL.

He's got the untangibles it takes to be a good leader, and a good QB, he'll definitely need some coaching but he's better than a few other QBs already starting in the league (imo).

I'm sure every player that has gone to the senior bowl has been perfect according to the scouts. I think that Tebow has been one of the most watched players the last 3 years and because of that he is under the microscope longer than his peers!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #27
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
I don't think they were using the wonderlic when Terry came into the league? Are you sure he ever even took that test?
Here is a site showing his score....along with most QB scores.

http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #28
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Here is a site showing his score....along with most QB scores.

http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

After looking through that list I'd say the wonderlic is a fairly worthless tool in evaluating future NFL quarterbacking potential.

Again I think "game intelligence" is greatly influenced by physical skills. For example a qb with great athleticism would have always been encouraged to run as soon as the play broke down in his formative years because generally speaking someone with superior athletic ability can beat defenses virtually alone right up until the NFL level.

Old habits die hard, therefore many of these players while equally skilled as throwers never learn how to adapt their game to the NFL level. the instinct of pulling the ball down and running is just too great to overcome.

Then of course with Tebow we have the added factor of poor throwing fundamentals. His athletic skills were great enough to overcome the best the college game had to offer, therefore the coaches never bothered to greatly change his game. But unfortunatley for Tim by letting him play the game the way he has for so long it's highly unlikely that he can adapt not only his mindset, which tells him to pull the ball down and run too soon, but also his throwing mechanics. Add in that he has no clue about how to take a 3, 5 or 7 step drop, and you might as well be asking him to throw the ball with his other hand and call signals in Chinese.

In other words he has very little chance to make it as an NFL qb imho. But it has nothing to do with his football intellect, as certain poster's have suggested. Again imo.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #29
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
After looking through that list I'd say the wonderlic is a fairly worthless tool in evaluating future NFL quarterbacking potential.

I never commented on whether it was a good evaluation tool....simply a reply to your saying that you believed the wonderlic wasnt given at at that time period.

The value of the Wonderlic in QB evaluation is a different subject altogether. In fact it for used for all positions in the NFL and in a variety of professions outside of the NFL
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #30
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I never commented on whether it was a good evaluation tool....simply a reply to your saying that you believed the wonderlic wasnt given at at that time period.

I never indicated otherwise. I appreciate the infomation you shared. I was just going foward in what i thought was a logical progression of the conversation. I wasn't laying down some sort of gauntlet, sorry you took it that way. .

The value of the Wonderlic in QB evaluation is a different subject altogether. In fact it for used for all positions in the NFL and in a variety of professions outside of the NFL
I'm not saying it has no value, but when I see guys like Marino, Bradshaw, and McNair near the bottom of the list and I see guys like Alex smith at the top, then I'm not letting it be my be-all end- all in evaluating young qb's coming into the league.