Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,355 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers' Townsend 'can still be a starter'

Wednesday, January 27, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In a season in which the secondary had problems preventing big plays and making even the simplest ones, the Steelers had to turn to one of their most reliable players to help ease the chaos.

After watching cornerback William Gay struggle and eventually lose confidence in his first full season as a starter, Deshea Townsend was thrust back into a role he hadn't performed in nearly two seasons -- starting opposite Ike Taylor.

Townsend, a 12-year veteran who had spent most of the past two seasons as a nickel back, started the final two games at left cornerback for Gay, primarily because opposing teams were picking on Gay with more than modest success. But even that switch didn't produce instant results or prevent more coverage breakdowns.

Townsend gave up a 30-yard touchdown to Ravens tight end Todd Heap in a Week 15 victory against Baltimore and got caught out of position on pass plays of 22 and 34 yards the following week in Miami, the latter for a touchdown.

But, he did come up with the first interception by a Steelers cornerback this season, even if it did take him 16 games to do so. And, in his opinion, he convinced the coaches he can still be a starter in the National Football league.

"I think I showed them I can still be a starter," he said.

The Steelers are not counting on Townsend, who will be 35 in September, being a starter next season. Nor are they sure he will even be around. But he has played a valuable role as a nickel back who lines up in the slot in passing situations and also lines up at safety in some of their specialty packages.

Still, Townsend is an unrestricted free agent, and the Steelers are preparing to move on if he chooses to sign with another team. When they drafted cornerback Joe Burnett in the fifth round last year, they proclaimed him a defensive playmaker who could be a valuable nickel back.

But the Steelers believe Townsend wants to return, and they will take him at a reduced rate, though there will be no urgency to re-sign him.

Depth is not an issue at cornerback -- at least not right now. The Steelers used two picks in last year's draft to help shore up the position when they took Keenan Lewis with one of their three third-rounds picks and Burnett with one of their two fifth-round picks.

But making plays is most certainly an issue, especially after the Steelers went 15 games without an interception by a cornerback this season. Curiously, it was Townsend who ended the drought with a second-quarter interception in the season finale in Miami. Taylor, who dropped what would have been a big interception in the loss in Kansas City, added another against the Dolphins.

Don't be surprised if those shortcomings prompt the Steelers to seek a cornerback in the early rounds of the draft.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10027/1031274-66.stm
Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Steelers' Townsend 'can still be a starter'

Townsend can still be a starter?

In a word.....no.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:46 AM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

too slow now.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

I said it before in another thread, I think he would make a great free safety opposite of Troy. That is of course if we don't resign Clarke.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

I like Townsend in the fact that anybody can take over Gay's position and be an upgrade. Townsend has been a great vet for this team and filled in pretty good for Gay during the season only making a few mistakes, but he knows the system and has played well.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
FacemeIke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11185

His days as a nickle back are over, let alone as a starter. I don't think he makes the roster next season unless we are desperate. Honestly, he's had a good career, I think he should just retire, but it doesnt look like he's thinking along those same lines.
FacemeIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

As much as I like Deshea and consider him a great player and a classy guy, I have to say that the team needs young blood in the secondary unit, with the new pass happy trend in the NFL we need faster backs IMHO
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,166 Times in 612 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Sure, he can be a starter....not a GOOD starter, but he can be a starter....if we're foolish enough. He should be the 4th corner AT BEST.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Meh, people make too big of a deal about his age. He could do OK. Not great, but OK. I know I'd be glad to have him around as an insurance policy, because after the way this season went, it's pretty clear that he and Taylor are the only ones we can be 100% sure aren't retarded.

wait, sorry, "developmentally disabled."

wait, no, "retarded."

anyway, unless Gay or Burnett or someone else improves in a big way, I'd take a guy who we know is going to produce average results, over a guy who sometimes does OK but gets burned ALL the time.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Meh, people make too big of a deal about his age. He could do OK. Not great, but OK. I know I'd be glad to have him around as an insurance policy, because after the way this season went, it's pretty clear that he and Taylor are the only ones we can be 100% sure aren't retarded.

wait, sorry, "developmentally disabled."

wait, no, "retarded."

anyway, unless Gay or Burnett or someone else improves in a big way, I'd take a guy who we know is going to produce average results, over a guy who sometimes does OK but gets burned ALL the time.
Quote:
Townsend gave up a 30-yard touchdown to Ravens tight end Todd Heap in a Week 15 victory against Baltimore and got caught out of position on pass plays of 22 and 34 yards the following week in Miami, the latter for a touchdown.

But, he did come up with the first interception by a Steelers cornerback this season, even if it did take him 16 games to do so. And, in his opinion, he convinced the coaches he can still be a starter in the National Football league.

"I think I showed them I can still be a starter," he said.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote