Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419
Default Steelers Might Re-Sign Hampton, Clark?

Jason La Canfora (NFL.com)
Steelers expected to re-sign DT Hampton, S Clark
Posted: January 27th, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ryan Clark, Tyrone Carter

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made retaining DT Casey Hampton and S Ryan Clark an offseason priority and neither player is expected to hit the open market, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. This yearís free-agent class is already shaping up to be thin due to the absence of a CBA extension at this point, and the best prospects will be further limited as teams negotiate new deals with key free agents between now and March.

The Steelers began exploratory talks with Clark before the season, and it would be very surprising if they did not come to a deal in the coming weeks. Clark is coming off what may have been his best season, with Troy Polamalu out for much of the year. In the mean time, the team is likely to let another free agent safety, Tyrone Carter, hit the market.

Hamptonís weight issues have given the team concern at times, but he again was an anchor on defense in 2009. Given Hamptonís age ó he will be playing his 10th season in 2010 ó and the possibility the sides cannot agree on a long-term deal, the team could always end up using a franchise designation on him as well. Last year, the franchise tag for DTs was only roughly $6 million (Hampton earned aproximately $3.1 million in 2009) and though that figure will rise, it remains low compared to many other positions.

Also, if there is no new CBA, clubs can utilize an extra franchise designation in 2010, another tool that would restrict the quantity and quality of players to hit the market

O, and u geniuses that say canforas not dependable, ur an idiot, so dont bother posting that if u check this outm just be happy were keeping hampton
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
groundhogday
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5248
Default Re: Steelers Might Re-Sign Hampton, Clark?

I'm positive Hampton will be a Steeler next year (Franchise Tag if deal is not reached). I wouldn't mind seeing Clark back but he got exposed alot this year in the absence of Troy. With Troy though, they made a great Yin and Yang out there. If Clark is back, I doubt we go Safety in the draft.
groundhogday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelC7 View Post
O, and u geniuses that say canforas not dependable, ur an idiot, so dont bother posting that if u check this outm just be happy were keeping hampton
While I agree with the article and would be glad to have both of those guys back ... what the hell is this? Is it even English?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Huh? Antway otay nockkay tiay fofay ithway hetay amenay-allingcay?

As for the meat of the article, I won't be at all surprised to hear that the Steelers have tagged Big Snack if they can't come to mutually agreeable contract terms.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Both make total sense, we'll see how the money plays out though.

Plus, Field Goal kicker is kind of need after watching the nonsense in the playoff this year. Just if ours could keep himself sober long enough to make a kick in Chicago, that would be something to talk about.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

This is great news! I was hoping that the FO would make these 2 guys a priority, now they can go into the draft without their hands tied to certain needs.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Quote:
Jason La Canfora (NFL.com)
the team could always end up using a franchise designation on him as well. Last year, the franchise tag for DTs was only roughly $6 million (Hampton earned aproximately $3.1 million in 2009) and though that figure will rise, it remains low compared to many other positions.

The funny thing is that Hampton was said repeatedly before and after the season that the team is not going to franchise him and that he's been promised that will not occur.

Who knows if that will actually happen, but I ask my fellow Steelers fans this...

If we decide not to franchise him, would you re-sign him? Bear in mine financial costs, not just talent.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Clark is coming off what may have been his best season, with Troy Polamalu out for much of the year.

someone's been looking at the stat sheets a little too much
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post

someone's been looking at the stat sheets a little too much
I have to agree here Psycho. I think the Steelers would be thrilled to get these 2 guys signed and return Troy to our secondary and our defense will be in pretty good shape. I think that the Steelers should pay attention to the newest Michigan LB coming out this year that is killing everyone at the Senior Bowl so far. The guy could team up with Woodley to for a very formidable duo in the next season or two at the most cuz I think that Harrison has shown signs this past season that maybe he is starting to show a little signs of slowing down maybe.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a huge decision to make this offseason with Pro Bowl nose tackle and pending free agent Casey Hampton.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Should the Steelers give Hampton, 32, a long-term contract? Pittsburgh also could let Hampton go into free agency or give him a one-year franchise tag, which would make him one of the NFL's highest-paid nose tackles in 2010.

Here is analysis on the situation from Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson:

“I think Hampton will get franchised for a couple reasons. First off, the Steelers should view themselves as a contender. They're not a rebuilding team. They didn't make the playoffs, but they won the Super Bowl a year ago. They're still very good, and you can't afford to break in a new nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. It's such a position in demand, and it's so important for that scheme that you can't just roll the dice and hope to get a rookie in there. There isn't somebody on the roster who is his heir apparent. Ideally, that would be a great thing to pick up on draft day this year and groom him for a year while Hampton is franchised and will become a free agent again .... So you either let him walk and take your chances at an extremely difficult position to replace. Or you keep Hampton, probably address other needs, take a shot at the title again and worry about it a year from now. That's the approach I think they'll take, and I think that's a smart move.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote