Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045
Default Myron Rolle

Quote:
Senior Bowl: For Myron Rolle, all Rhodes lead to NFL
January 29, 8:16 AM College Football Examiner: Kevin McGuire

If you think the NFL is over-flowing with players who think more about money and making the highlight reel on SportsCenter and that too many players care about themselves first and foremost, then prepare for a change of pace.

Imagine a talented and bright young player who has the skills to make an impact on the NFL but possess the kind of brains needed to make more of an impact in hospitals as a doctor.

Myron Rolle is that person.

The former Florida State safety is generating some buzz down in Mobile, Alabama in practices for tomorrow's Under Armour Senior Bowl. Rolle is a top ten caliber safety in the 2010 NFL Draft as is a decorated college football player. First-team Freshman All-American in 2006, 2006 Sporting News ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year, Associated Press 3rd team All-America in 2008 and FWAA 2nd team All-ACC in the same season just for starters.

The most impressive award Rolle has received was a Rhodes Scholarship, which allowed him to study at Oxford. Rolle's interview for the Rhodes Scholarship, the most prestigious scholarship in the world, was scheduled for the same day that Florida State's football team was to play a conference game at Maryland, but his interview was in Birmingham, Alabama. The NCAA made a special exception for Rolle to be able to take a chartered flight from Alabama to College Park, Maryland so he could join his teammates. Three hours before the Seminoles and Terrapins took the field, Rolle was awarded the scholarship and he quickly jumped on a plane to join his team with the good news.

The scholarship took Rolle to Oxford where he studied medical anthropology and put off entering the NFL for another year, even though he would have been one of the more attractable draft candidates in the 2009 NFL Draft. Now Rolle is ready to pursue an NFL career, and he is doing it with grace and elegance.

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to catch Rolle in the daily interview segment of Pardon the Interruption on ESPN, hosted by Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser. I was already aware of how smart Rolle was but what I never totally grasped was how well mannered he is. On more than one occasion he addressed Wilbon as "Sir", which left co-host Kornheiser holding back a bit of a laugh. Had anyone ever referred to Wilbon as Sir before on the hit ESPN show? I have been watching the show since the first time it was on the air, and I am struggling to recall anyone doing so.

After doing some search for coverage of Rolle yesterday I came upon a video clip of Rolle's other appearance on ESPN yesterday. As you can see, his PTI appearance was no fluke. In this clip Rolle talks about his "typical day" at Oxford. Impressive.

There is no doubt that Rolle has his career planned out and the NFL looks to take a back seat to his studies and his future medical work right now. Just last week Rolle helped the U.S. Department of the Interior to introduce a new program, the Our Way to Health Program. The public-private partnership between Department of the Interior's Office of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Indian Education and the Myron L. Rolle Foundation (yes, the young man already has set up his own foundation) is aimed to bring innovative physical fitness and health programs to the Bureau of Indiana Education-funded Native American schools in New Mexico and Arizona.

I also love how he describes himself on his Twitter page;

"Football player and aspiring physician from New Jersey by way of Bahamas with a passion to serve the underserved."

Whether or not Rolle has a significant impact in the NFL remains to be seen, but it is already clear that Rolle's largest contribution to society will come off the field. He is well ahead of the game in that area and it seems as though reaching the metaphorical end-zone off the field will never satisfy Rolle.

How can anyone not be rooting for Rolle?

The Senior Bowl will be played on Saturday and will be aired by the NFL Network. Kickoff is set for 3:00 PM.
http://www.examiner.com/x-30425-Coll...es-lead-to-NFL

Great Story and so far has impressed scouts and could be a good safety, any thoughts on him being a possible 3rd round pick or so for us?
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823
Default Re: Myron Rolle

Rolle has impressed a lot of people here in Mobile. It's not just the intelligence that makes him so appealing, but the fact that he just took a year off from football and has barely skipped a beat. At weigh-ins, Rolle already began to impress me and the teams reps sitting around me. He has great size for a safety and is still in great shape. He looked like he'd spent a year in the weight room and not in the library.

I've heard a lot of talk about Rolle going in the second round if he continues to show he has the skill people raved about last year. In an interview, Rolle even mentioned he's been told he could go as high as the first round. If he falls to the third to the Steelers, it will be the steal of the draft. I'd take him in the second in a heartbeat at this point.

I exchanged contact information with him after practice yesterday and am anticipating an interview with him in the next week or two. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonslow View Post
Rolle has impressed a lot of people here in Mobile. It's not just the intelligence that makes him so appealing, but the fact that he just took a year off from football and has barely skipped a beat. At weigh-ins, Rolle already began to impress me and the teams reps sitting around me. He has great size for a safety and is still in great shape. He looked like he'd spent a year in the weight room and not in the library.

I've heard a lot of talk about Rolle going in the second round if he continues to show he has the skill people raved about last year. In an interview, Rolle even mentioned he's been told he could go as high as the first round. If he falls to the third to the Steelers, it will be the steal of the draft. I'd take him in the second in a heartbeat at this point.

I exchanged contact information with him after practice yesterday and am anticipating an interview with him in the next week or two. I'll keep you guys posted.
AWESOME thanks alot, i look foward to that.

I would take him in the 2nd as well if hes there, but if we take Earl Thomas first round i dont think taking him would make sense then, basically im saying if we dont take thomas first round, Rolle could be considered later on, if he keeps impressing everyone.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
AWESOME thanks alot, i look foward to that.

I would take him in the 2nd as well if hes there, but if we take Earl Thomas first round i dont think taking him would make sense then, basically im saying if we dont take thomas first round, Rolle could be considered later on, if he keeps impressing everyone.
I comletely agree with that. I'd be happy with either, but I'd ideally like to see a Patrick Robinson in the first/Myron Rolle in the second combination more than a Earl Thomas in the first/Brandon Ghee in the second. Both Rolle and Robinson have impressed me more than Brandon Ghee this week. I like Thomas but we'll have to see where the value will be when we pick at #18 in the first.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
I comletely agree with that. I'd be happy with either, but I'd ideally like to see a Patrick Robinson in the first/Myron Rolle in the second combination more than a Earl Thomas in the first/Brandon Ghee in the second. Both Rolle and Robinson have impressed me more than Brandon Ghee this week. I like Thomas but we'll have to see where the value will be when we pick at #18 in the first.
Reports indicate that Myron Rolle is a pure SS with little chance of playing FS in the NFL.

Is that your take on how he will project?

If he is truly a FS candidate then he is worth a look in the second. If he is only a SS then he is only a candidate for a team looking for a starting SS ( which the steelers are not).

Love the work, the reports that you give and the website is a resource I use frequently

Great job
Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
Reports indicate that Myron Rolle is a pure SS with little chance of playing FS in the NFL.

Is that your take on how he will project?

If he is truly a FS candidate then he is worth a look in the second. If he is only a SS then he is only a candidate for a team looking for a starting SS ( which the steelers are not).

Love the work, the reports that you give and the website is a resource I use frequently

Great job
There hasn't been any tackling this week, but he looks to me like he can play FS just fine. He's athletic enough to play corner, but he's obviously better suited at safety. From the clips I've seen from the past, he can tackle well, but he's also got great feet and fluid hips. He's obviously very smart and reads the quarterback really well. I'm convinced he could play either strong or free safety and could possibly be a better fit at free safety.

And thanks for the props. I'm glad you enjoy the site.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
A publication I read stated Thomas may be the second best CB in the draft. If that is the case. How about a draft of Thomas, Rolle, Then maybe a OL or NT in the 3rd.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Is Rolle a SS or FS?
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
A publication I read stated Thomas may be the second best CB in the draft. If that is the case. How about a draft of Thomas, Rolle, Then maybe a OL or NT in the 3rd.
Earl Thomas is a safety, but if you mean Patrick Robinson, then I like where you're going with that. Robinson/Rolle would be an awesome combo. Robinson is second on my board at CB after what I saw from him this week.

A NT like Dan Williams from Tennessee would be great in the tird, but he's being projected as a late first or early second-round pick. Cam Thomas had a good showing this week and could be a guy I'd take somewhere in the 4th-5th range to play NT. Thomas (from North Carolina) came in at 331 lbs. at weigh-ins and has had a solid week.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
Is Rolle a SS or FS?
He can play either. He has the size and physicality to play SS and the speed/quickness to play FS. Hell, he's looked good enough this week that I think he could legitimately play corner in the NFL. I really like him. He's probably more of a free saftey but I won't limit his potential at playing anywhere.