Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Aussie_steeler 2010 Mock Draft

Its 2010 and so far I have failed to submit a mock draft. When better than Senior Bowl week to submit my first detailed effort. Here goes.

at the #18 spot I see the Steelers sitting in that first round grey zone where the BPA could vary from OT, FS, CB, DE, DT, NT, WR or OLB. An endless set of combinations is possible.

My mock draft is aimed at ensuring that the first 5 picks all wind up on the 53 man roster to start the season. They will all target current holes in the roster and be able to contribute in some role through out the season. The next set of picks are all players that will be given a legitimate chance to compete with fringe players and worst case scenario be practice squad material.

I see key targets like McClain, Haden and Thomas being taken before the #18 pick. I currently see the pick being between Dan Williams NT, Bryan Bulaga OT and Mike Iupati OG. I am still tossing up between Bulaga and Iupati, protecting Bens blindside or punching huge running lanes in the interior of the line. I want to say Iupati but I think you err on the side of protecting your billionaire QB.

Tossing a coin I pick

Rd 1
Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa 6’6 312lbs

(if Willie Colon is lost then Bulaga earns his roster spot. If Willie Colon is resigned then Tony Hills is the man to make way for Bulaga)

The next pick has to be a FS or NT. The only possible option at NT is Terrance Cody and I just don’t see the durability there. The secondary needs to be strengthened and a backup FS who can step in and start in 2011 is a must. The best pure cover FS at this point has to be;

Rd 2
Nate Allen FS South Florida 6’1 205 lbs

(if Ryan Clark walks then Nate Allen is competing for a starting position. If Clark stays as expected then Ryan Mundy is the odd man out)

The third round pick has to be a sure fire pick for the future and I see no better pick than getting a stout NT who can immediately challenge Hoke for the backup role and step in to replace Casey in 2011 (after he has been tagged and released in the 2010 season) A solid senior bowl week has solidified this NT back into the 3rd ranking for the 3-4 NT position.

Rd 3
Cam Thomas DT North Carolina 6’4 331 lb

(if Casey leaves then Chris Hoke starts with Thomas his understudy. If Casey stays then I think Hoke is on the outer)

Going into the fourth round the next hole that has to be filled on the current roster is SS. Tyrone Carter has been a valued member of the roster for a long while. Unfortunately time has caught up with Carters body and unfortunately his football instincts are not translating to his legs and feet. The guy who backs Troy needs to be strong in the box and a man who can run with a teams TE and cover the middle of the field. In the 4th the best man I see available is

Rd 4
Reshad Jones SS Georgia 6’2 212 lbs

(Reshad Jones immediately makes Tyrone Carter expendable. At this point in the draft the safety positions on the team have been significantly bolstered and depth is no longer a concern.)

The holes that remain on the roster now in my view are;

#2 RB ( I think that between Moore, Redman and Vincent things look OK)
#2 TE ( McHugh and Johnson are blocking TE’s. A hands guys might be needed)

Competition is needed at;

# 3 / 4 outside linebacker
# 4 ILB
#4 WR
#3 QB (l Batch comes back I believe)

The next 6 picks are all guys who are not expected to land on the roster but will give great competition and would not surprise to score a ticket to playing on Sunday’s

Round 5a
Jermaine Cunningham DE /OLB Florida 6’3 252lbs

An intriguing undersized DE from the SEC. Has very good pass rush skills and has plenty of potential. The steelers always reach for a DE convert ( eg Alonzo Jackson, Bruce Davis…) so a guy like Cunningham in the 5th is not going to break the bank if he falls short. I would have liked to take a guy like Koa Misi in the 4th but I see SS as a slightly more pressing need. Granted if a starting OLB goes down we are in trouble but either Bailey or Frazier are better equipped to start and maintain some pressure.

Round 5b
Dorin Dickerson FB / HB / WR Pittsburgh 6’1 222

This guy has wowed plenty of scouts at the senior bowl. Trying out for the first time as a slot receiver and by all reports he has made some of the touted secondary prospects look second rate. Dickerson is a Hines Ward type receiver who is not scared to go into traffic or take on the hard blocks. This guy will be a huge sleeper for whoever drafts him.

Round 5c
Adrian Tracey OLB William & Mary 6’3 243

This guy is my first real bolter of the draft. Mike Tomlin loves his W & M alum and this is his first real chance to give one of his schools players a chance. Tracey as a player could be considered this high with a good workout. He has the skills to compete as a 3-4 OLB.

Round 6
Stafon Johnson RB USC 5 11” 214

A high character guy who suffered a tragic accident in the weight room last year (dropped 250 lb weight on his throat whilst bench pressing. Has had numerous operations that have saved his life and voice). Johnson has great burst and can break a huge run once through the hole. Good in pass protection and shows great patience when running. Johnson is a quality RB that sat behind some good players at USC and was never given a real chance to showcase his talents. I think story may be a little Willie Parker like.

Round 7a
Nate Bynham TE Pittsburgh 6’4 268 lbs

Bynham is a hard working Tight end. He possesses solid blocking and pass catching skills. He is very similar to our current backup TE’s. With the depth in the receiving corp I just don’t see the #2 TE doing much more than blocking in the current system.

Round 7b
Matt Mayberry ILB Indianna 6’2 238 lbs

Good character guy who doesn’t have the measurables to wow the scouts. He is a leader and a player who might just overachieve if given a chance. Mayberry could well be that special team type player that works hard enough to work his way into a role on the team as a ILB.

Players who I like but cant find spots for at this point in time.

1. Kerry Meier WR Kansas 6’2 219 lbs ( still my main pimp. Dickerson is just better value)
2. Cody Grimm SS Virginia Tech 5’11 210 lbs
3. Brett Swenson K Michigan State 5’8 173
4. Kade Weston DE Georgia 6’5 325 lb
5. Curtis Steele RB Memphis 6’0 190 lbs
6. Lee Campbell ILB Minnesota 6’3 246

With the 2011 draft in mind I have not jumped in the deep end for an inside linebacker. I have my eyes well and truly on Donta Hightower, Rolando McClain’s partner at Alabama. At 6’4 250 lbs he is every bit as skilled as Rolando McClain. He suffered a season ending injury this year last year, but at the start of the season he was as dominant as his sidekick in the middle linebacker position on the Tides dominant defence.

Look forward to any feedback.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832
Default Re: Aussie_steeler 2010 Mock Draft

Ben's blindside is currently protected by a man makng 25+ million.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
Ben's blindside is currently protected by a man makng 25+ million.
For the next two years I would say yes. Beyond that I am not sure. Kendall Simmons was making huge money and that didnt stop the FO letting him go.

Also I am not sure about Colon and his status. The squad really looks one good OT short IMO. Foster looks like his is capable but Hills looks like he is heading down the Bruce Davis path.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Like the draft Aussie, though I don't know much about Tracey. You give me my 2 safetys and an OT. If Reed whats to much money you may have to make room for Swenson.

Great job.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
For the next two years I would say yes. Beyond that I am not sure. Kendall Simmons was making huge money and that didnt stop the FO letting him go.

Also I am not sure about Colon and his status. The squad really looks one good OT short IMO. Foster looks like his is capable but Hills looks like he is heading down the Bruce Davis path.
Simmons also broke down. We don't have a reason to believe that Starks will (Maybe he will, but there isn't any reason to believe that to the point of spending a first rounder on a tackle).

As long as Starks plays at the level he's at and shows improvement as he did this season, his pass protection improved a lot - did a lot better with his footwork - there isn't an issue at left tackle.

Colon will get the 1st/3rd tender. We can either try to extend him or prove he can play at a high level another year and lock him up long-term next offseason. And even if you think that Colon could be gone next year, Bulaga can't play on the right side. He only has experience at LG and LT.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Like the draft brother....you always seem to think very logically in your draft picks.

I currently have a brand new Steelers coat, that might be the prize this year for the draft contest. I REALLY dont want to have to pay for postage to Australia!!!!!!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Like the draft brother....you always seem to think very logically in your draft picks.

I currently have a brand new Steelers coat, that might be the prize this year for the draft contest. I REALLY dont want to have to pay for postage to Australia!!!!!!!!
Liike I said last year, I'll split it with ya. I would love for you to have to mail that thing down under.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

Great draft!! I like all of those picks! If our draft were to fall just like that we would be in great shape. I really like the Stafon Johnson pick at that point he had a great week at the Senior bowl practices and think he would be good for the Steelers.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulldog24 View Post
Great draft!! I like all of those picks! If our draft were to fall just like that we would be in great shape. I really like the Stafon Johnson pick at that point he had a great week at the Senior bowl practices and think he would be good for the Steelers.
Stafon Johnson would be a great pick in the later rounds!!! the question is will he be there in the 5/6th???.....
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372

Good draft, I like the Mayberry pick a lot. He may not have the measurable but he is just a football player and has really good instincts.