Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141
Default O-Line / Kraig Urbik

Chances are Willie C is on his way out and the steelers have a new Oline coach. I'm pretty sure that all spots on the Oline are gonna be up for grabs this year at training camp. I was just wondering if anyone knows anymore about Krag Urbik as far as his ability to possibly become a starter in 2010. He was the 15th player taken in the third round last year so im guessing he is no slouch. Yes I know he is listed as RG. There are three RG's listed on the steelers site. I was just curious about Urbik . But as a whole who stays who goes on the O-Line ?

Last edited by Northside Jonny; 01-29-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Northside Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312
Default Re: O-Line / Kraig Urbik

Unless something major happens or for whatever reason they no longer want him, Colon isnt going anywhere. Unless by i think its March 5th a new CBA is reached then Colon is an RFA. I just dont see them letting one of the better/more consistent OL players go. He's improved a lot of the years to become a above average RT...though some say he should be an RG. It really depends what they do in the draft as far as what happens as a whole to the OL. If they was to land a stud OT or something in the 1st...or a C (like Pouncey) in the 2nd...if they do...it could effect things somewhat...if they dont get a stud or high end/high numbered OL pick then the only position I really see changing is RG...and maybe to a much lesser extent C...if they feel Legursky can do the job or not. RG could have a 3 way battle Essex vs. Urbik vs. Foster (I dont think Stapleton has a chance at RG...he stunk there)...which pretty much would be Essex vs. Urbik as i dont think Foster has good enough feet to be a permanent starter. I hear Urbik was pretty good in college and should be a good pro, with a year in the system he could be ready to go...we'll have to wait and see though.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,621 Times in 811 Posts

I watched Urbik a few games in 2008 as well as the Senior Bowl and combine. He was solid, nasty and even handled Ziggy Hood 1 on 1 a few times in the Senior Bowl practice. I think the kid is gonna be a solid pro.....probaby never a pro bowler, but just a guy that has a 10 year career at OG. Give him time. Here is his scouting report.

Kraig Urbik (OT)
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 328
College: Wisconsin
Conference: Big 10
Hometown: Hudson, WI
High School: Hudson HS
View Combine Page >>

Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash : 5.3 seconds
Bench Press : 29.0 reps
Vertical Jump : 24.0 inches
Broad Jump : 94.0 inches
3 Cone Drill : 7.87 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle : 4.89 seconds

Round: 3
Pick (Overall): 15 (79)
Discuss Pick Analysis: The former Badger is a tough, blue-collar player with the ability to create a push along the line. Though he has limited athleticism, he gives the team a quality young player with the potential to develop into a versatile starter.
Overview

When Urbik's streak of 45 consecutive starts came to an end when he injured his knee vs. Penn State in 2008, the Badgers' midseason struggles began. Without their offensive leader, Wisconsin lost five of six contests before a fully recovered Urbik, the right offensive guard, guided the team to a 3-1 record to close out the season.

Wisconsin has been known for developing quite a bit of offensive line talent for the NFL ever since former head coach Barry Alvarez arrived on campus. A member of that renowned coach's best recruiting class, Urbik was the first Badger freshman to start at offensive tackle since All-American Chris McIntosh did in 1996. Urbik would go on to start 16 games at right tackle and 34 at right guard during his career -- and that versatility has made him one of the most coveted linemen in the 2009 NFL Draft.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profil...ayers-overview
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

I agree with 7Will. Colon was more than solid for us this year; why would he go anywhere? Heck, we put a first round tender on him last season when he was playing at a much lower level. Why on earth would we let him get away now?

I never liked Urbik. Relied too much on brute strength in college. He was able to get by on that, but won't in the pros. Stiff and doesn't move his feet well. I watched him trip and fall on multiple occassions on pulls in the preseason.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
Chances are Willie C is on his way out
You know he's one of the better pass blocking O-linemen and our 2nd best run-blocker right?
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,379 Posts

i do find it a bit discouraging that urbik couldn't earn a uni over a udfa foster. i hope it was more about learning blocking assignments than it was about lack of athleticism.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #7
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

I honestly thought Willie had a great season it just looks like he might be on his way out. shoot he may be better than Max. Hopefully we end up having more very good linemen than we know what to do with. That is what I wanted to know master why was he not starting when Trai went down hopefully it was that he was not drafted to start right away and it was just a learning year.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

we need to resign him, alot of mendenhalls long runs were not just due to mendy breaking tackles but colon, if you watched the san diego game he tore apart those defensive ends lol made them look like goose chicken
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,277 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I would love to see Urbik get some playing time this year we spent a 3rd round on him and now it is time to see what he has.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Also i think with the who dressed and who didnt...it depended on what positions they could play. Legursky always dressed because he can play C (along with G)...Foster dressed because he played BOTH G positions and RT (maybe LT too, not sure). Urbik from my knowledge was only a RG and possible RT guy. The only few times either Urbik or even Hills dressed was when one of our starters were down (i THINK Urbik dressed more than Hills but i'm not sure). It doesnt necessarily mean they cant play or were a wasted pick or anything, its just based on the teams need of a backup on game day!
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote