Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Colon Better Than Steeler Fans Think

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/29/c...rs-fans-think/
Colon Better Than Steeler Fans Think

o JJ Cooper

Willie ColonIf Willie Colon had been born a year earlier, he'd likely be a richer man right now. Thanks to the lack of a new collective bargaining agreement, the Steelers avoided a potential contract headache.

If Colon had finished his fourth year in the league last year, he would have been an unrestricted free agent in search of a long-term contract and a big payday. Instead, he'll be a restricted free agent against this offseason which means that the Steelers can almost assuredly keep him around with a reasonable tender offer. And another team tried to entice him away with a contract offer, Pittsburgh would have the choice of matching it or getting draft pick compensation (either a first-round pick or a first and a third-round pick depending on the tender offer).

If Colon had hit the market as an unrestricted free agent his agent makes it sound like he would have been looking for a big payday.

"The Steelers are watching the same films I am and it's pretty obvious he's in the top three players at his position in the league," Colon's agent Joe Linta said, "and they will make their decision accordingly."

A lot of Steelers fans probably read that and laughed. But here's the interesting part, Linta's not crazy.

Colon has gotten a reputation as a guard out of position thanks to his long-running problems in pass protection. But in 2009, Colon made some serious strides. He didn't give up his first sack in 2009 until the Steelers' 13th game of the season. He ended up giving up four sacks overall, but two of those were because Ben Roethlisberger held the ball for over 4.5 seconds. Throw it all together and by my charting Colon was beaten only twice all season for sacks that were his fault. I'll throw in the disclaimer I've mentioned in previous posts that assigning blame for sacks is more an art than a science especially since it's not possible to know what the line calls were, but it is clear that Colon had an excellent season as a pass blocker, one that would compare favorable with most right tackles in the league.

There has never been a problem with Colon's run blocking. He has a nice mean streak, an ability to get to the second-level to block linebackers and the kind of core strength that allows him to maul defensive ends.

Add it all up and there's a pretty good case that Colon has turned himself into one of the better right tackles in the league. Now that won't get you a spot in the Pro Bowl (all three Pro Bowl tackles are left tackles), but it does make him the Steelers' best offensive lineman. And after hearing for years that it might make sense to move inside to guard (consider me one of the guilty/wrong ones), Colon has shown that he deserves to stay at tackle because it's a lot easier to find a solid guard than a solid tackle.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772
Default Re: Colon Better Than Steeler Fans Think

Some people will never realize it
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
Some people will never realize it
Hey, I am a Colon fan as much as the next guy, but I will contend that there are at least 5-8 RT's that are better than Colon in the NFL.

Carey, Oher, Loadholt, Stinchcomb, Otah, Columbo are a few that come to mind.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

hey if we can get a 1st rounder for him, lol imagine if we struck a haden/mcclain or earl thomas/wilson deal that would be a bargain or get earl thomas with bualaga... whow could look into it if all fails but id like colon back
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

My numbers were very similar. I recorded Colon to have given up 3.5 sacks all season long and he's probably our best lineman.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Our best lineman for sure. I thought after giving Starks the money we did he would show the most improvement this season, but it shows that Colon did and had a much more improved season over last years.
I look to get him signed and kept for seasons to come. Im anxious to see how our new OL coachs approches his group.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Hey, I am a Colon fan as much as the next guy, but I will contend that there are at least 5-8 RT's that are better than Colon in the NFL.

Carey, Oher, Loadholt, Stinchcomb, Otah, Columbo are a few that come to mind.
nobody said he's the best. Those are pro-bowlers and All-pro's you just listed right there.
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Colon's all right, but his pass blocking really did drop late in the season. And for every sack Ben deserves the blame on, there was at least one he escaped that he had no business getting out of. Willie Colon more than once was saved from a poor block by Ben's escapability, so please spare me the b.s. that Colon's sacks allowed, however many there may be, gives some sort of false impression.

He's become an acceptable right tackle, but let's not make him out to be more than he is, he's not elite, or even close to it. At least not yet, but still he's young enough, and his game has steadily improved. So maybe next year will be the year his game takes the jump to the next level? I sure hope so.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Colon's all right, but his pass blocking really did drop late in the season. And for every sack Ben deserves the blame on, there was at least one he escaped that he had no business getting out of. Willie Colon more than once was saved from a poor block by Ben's escapability, so please spare me the b.s. that Colon's sacks allowed, however many there may be, gives some sort of false impression.

He's become an acceptable right tackle, but let's not make him out to be more than he is, he's not elite, or even close to it. At least not yet, but still he's young enough, and his game has steadily improved. So maybe next year will be the year his game takes the jump to the next level? I sure hope so.
I agree. Colon is nowhere near being elite but he's adequate for now. He's only 26 years old and really not in the prime of his career yet, so good things can happen with him. My biggest gripe with him is his propensity of taking penalties and some of them at the most inopportune times.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I still think that Colon is not being used to his full capacity. I, and some others, would like to see him moved to the OG position where he would be working in a smaller area. I agree he is not an elite RT, I would like to see if he could become an elite OG.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote