Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Bucs believe that time to win is now

Bucs believe that time to win is now
Exuding confidence, club talks improvement, playoffs
By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com
01/29/10 8:36 PM EST

PITTSBURGH -- For a team that hasn't touched a winning season since Barry Bonds was in left field and Doug Drabek was leading the pitching staff, the Pirates sure are touting some lofty expectations for 2010. Just listen to manager John Russell.

"I think we're through the tunnel of wondering where we are, what we need to do as far as players needing to be acquired," Russell said on Friday. "I think we're through that. Now our goal as a staff and as a club is to go out and to prepare to win championships in Pittsburgh.

"Our goal going into Spring Training is to come together and start thinking playoff baseball. Wins and losses are very important, but our standards are going to be set [higher]. We're going to do what we can as a staff and as a team to start thinking playoffs."

Yes, playoffs.

For those who would be content seeing this team simply crack the .500 mark, know that such a goal remains far from satisfactory in management's eyes. But with a team that lost 99 games last year and made Octavio Dotel its most prominent offseason signing, is the postseason really a legitimate expectation?

This is, don't forget, a team that's highest paid player is Akinori Iwamura at $4.85 million and is projected to have baseball's lowest Opening Day payroll. It's a team that has lost 93 or more games in six of the past nine seasons, and one that endured a 9-27 skid to end the 2009 campaign.

So what gives?

"We are better. We are moving forward. And 2010 will be a much better year."
-- Pirates GM
Neal Huntington

"You have to believe it," reliever Joel Hanrahan said of playoff aspirations. "If you don't believe it, why show up? You don't play for a winning season. You play for the bling, for the ring. I wish we were a month into the season right now to see how the pieces are fitting."

Hanrahan wasn't alone in his championship references either. On a day which 1960 World Series hero Bill Mazeroski was honored, president Frank Coonelly spoke aloud about similarities he sees between that World Series championship team and the current club preparing to begin a new season.

Coonelly noted that the 1950s were not kind to the Pirates, which went a combined 454-777 from 1950-57. The team broke through the evasive .500 mark in '58, again in '59, and then, of course, captured a championship in the first year of the new decade.

"I really feel like we have a core of good young players -- much like they did in the mid-1950s -- that are growing together," Coonelly concluded. "We will return this organization to a championship team again in Pittsburgh. That's what we're working extremely hard for."

Still, this is a team that has established a 17-year losing streak and has not played meaningful baseball in September since 1997. It's one thing to talk the talk, so to say, and make bold predictions. But what proof is there to back up the belief that this Pirates club is not just going to improve, but that it's ready to compete with the league's best?

Much of the hope lies with a player many see as a budding superstar.

"I grew up in a small town, and to be where I am now is amazing," Andrew McCutchen said. "I always look at that and say that anything is possible. I believe that you're going to see a difference. I believe it's a team that's going to surprise some people. We have the pieces to the puzzle. We just have to put them together."

Before greeting fans at PirateFest on Friday night, other players also did their best to provide a convincing argument as to why those same fans should be able to expect better times to come.

"The improvements that a lot of the young players made last year, I don't think there's any reason to believe why other young players can't make those same improvements," starter Ross Ohlendorf said. "I really think Charlie Morton and Kevin Hart are going to be significantly better than they were last season. I think being traded in the middle of the season can be really hard. You don't realize it at the time, but it can cause you to put too much pressure on yourself."

Asserted pitcher Daniel McCutchen: "We're mostly young and we get along really well. Team chemistry has so much to do with winning. I think we have a good group of guys that fit in together really well."

Regardless of whether you believe the Pirates will be playing in October later this year -- and yes, management realizes that most remain quite skeptical of that occurring -- one thing remains clear: These players, these coaches, this management team is not thinking past this season. All the hype about the prospects that will be in Pittsburgh in 2011 and beyond is exciting, but this group isn't going through the motions in the meantime.

"The 2010 Pirates, on paper, it's easy to dismiss," general manager Neal Huntington said. "It's easy to say, 'It's another year.' You'll never hear me say that we'll win in 2012 or 2013, because that basically means we're not going to win tonight's game.

"We are better. We are moving forward. And 2010 will be a much better year."

--------------------

what have they been smokin?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Bucs believe that time to win is now...

...and I believe they are a crock of shit.

Sorry, Pirates, you're going to have to do better than that.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Bucs believe that time to win is now

Seriously, what do you expect them to say? "We suck and we'll lose 100 games again this season?" I like to hear that they're confident that they'll win rather than say they "hope" to win. "Hope" means you're unsure of yourself. Having said that, I'll believe it when I see it, because there really isn't much talent on this team outside of A-Cutch, at least until Alvarez arrives in June, and even then I don't think they have enough to be a winning team.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

2 Words Pirates

PROVE IT!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

I would hope they would want to win now ! This franchise has become pitiful and should be ashamed of itself/ The Pirates were in the first ever world series for christ sake!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

1979- "We are Family" World Series win AND the Steelers won the Super Bowl. Since then, then Pirates have not done much. The Steelers, however have put it back together and won two more championships. Not to mention the countless trips to the playoffs.