Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,933 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Graham flashes, Iupati crashes in Senior Bowl

It seems that the players who created the most buzz during the week at the Senior Bowl had quiet games. Quarterback Tim Tebow did nothing to stand out, running back Dexter McCluster flashed on a couple of plays but also had a fumble, and guard Mike Iupati struggled mightily when he was on the right side. Meanwhile, Cincinnati receiver Mardy Gilyard, who was panned during the week, came up big in the game, catching a 40-yard touchdown pass over cornerback Javier Arenas in the North's 31-13 win.

Iupati had a strange game. He looked very good at left guard. On a touchdown run by Oregon's LaGarrette Blount (who looked great), for example, Iupati chipped on one of the defensive linemen and then made a block on a linebacker at the second level of the defense. It was a nice showcase of his strength and athleticism. When he moved to right guard, however, he struggled. He had two bad plays in a row early in the game and was flagged for an obvious holding penalty that negated a touchdown. He had a hard time both with power rushers - Tennessee's Dan Williams - and speed rushers, Georgia's Geno Atkins. Atkins, in fact, spun free of Iupati later in the first half for a quarterback sack. Entering the game, the announcers were raving that Iupati could play five positions on the offensive line. Maybe he can, but today he was only good at one - left guard.

Williams is another guy the 49ers could consider in the first round. Aubrayo Franklin likely will be retained this year, perhaps with a franchise tag. But the 49ers need to start looking for depth at nose tackle. This is an exceptional year for interior defensive linemen, but they will go quickly.

The MVP of the game - deservedly so - was Michigan defensive end Brandon Graham. None of the South offensive tackles could stop him and he finished with two sacks and a forced fumble. Someone asked me if pick 17 is too high for Graham. I don't think so. Right now, he's considered a late first-, early second-round pick. Look for him to elevate like Robert Ayers did last year. Ayers, a defensive end at Tennessee, was picked 18th by the Broncos and played LB in Mike Nolan's scheme. Graham had 26 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks for the Wolverines in 2009. He also seems to be a little quicker than Ayers and perhaps a better fit at a 3-4 OLB.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...m-flashes.html
Old 01-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,824 Posts
Default Re: Graham flashes, Iupati crashes in Senior Bowl

Quote:
the announcers were raving that Iupati could play five positions on the offensive line. Maybe he can, but today he was only good at one - left guard.
gee i wonder if it has anything to do with playing left guard for years and never practicing at other positions....
if the guy was better suited at tackle, wouldn't you think he would have been playing tackle in college ?
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
groundhogday
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5248

I thought Iupati looked pretty good. He had a couple mess ups but overall I thought he was shoving people all over and getting to the second level on a lot of run plays. He and Dan Williams battled it out quite a bit. I'm still real high on him. Dan Williams also impressed me but I'm still thinking OL needs addressed.

I liked that Jackson (FB) from VA.
groundhogday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

good now we can draft a defensive player, i still think we can get kyle wilson or earl thomas heck or even both at 18's and they could cherish at the position.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Entering the game, the announcers were raving that Iupati could play five positions on the offensive line.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...m-flashes.html
You have to take the Mike Mayock O line assessments and divide by 2 to make them realistic!!!

Last year, he talked about Max Unger being the best center and being able to play 5 positions. Mayock said Alex Mack was "on the ground too much" for his liking. EPIC FAILURE OF ANALYSIS.

The previous year Mayock raved about Gosder Cherilus and had him ranked something like #5 OT in the draft and a LT prospect. Cherilus has proved he only has the feet to play RT in the NFL.

They overhyped Iupati all week. Sure, he looks like a perennial pro bowl OG like Faneca or Will Sheilds was. But, Iupati doesnt look like he can play LT and I dont think he has ever snapped the ball, so he is a 3-position O lineman. Still valuable!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltreal View Post
I'm still all for Taylor Mays pick. Having his speed and sure tackling as the deep safety will allow Troy to play wreckless. He can only improve in coverage imo.

Hard to tell where any of the d linemen would project in the 3-4 cuz they were forced to to play 4-3 with no blitzing lame rule.
Mays? Sure tackling? Wha-wha-wha?
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823

Graham was alright, but I was sitting next to someone in the pressbox who pointed something out that got me thinking. Graham did nothing but pass rush to the outside. He got his two sacks and three TFLs, but he also took himself out of almost every running play up the middle. He didn't showcase a rip, swim or spin move at all, and if he can't do that, I think he's going to end up as an outside linebacker. Personally, I think he's a great fit since he played there up until this year before putting on 15 lbs. Either way, I like him a lot. He just needs to show he can play end and keep contain on running plays.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Maybe Chris Keomateau can make the move to RG and Iupati can stay where he is realisticaly the best at for a few years. I would love to get the chance to see what he does. The OT from Iowa would be a nice choice also I believe. But my heart is set on Secondary help myself, but the Michigan LB/DE Brandon Graham is really catching my eye(s) as well... but we will just have to wait and see I guess.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts

before the practices and game, scouts were already comparing graham to l. woodley. understandable, taking into account his school, position, size, and tackles for loss.

he was interviewed by tim and pat, weds on sirius (and i hope they continue to pimp him with a weekly spot leading up to the draft, like they did with woodley).

it seems all the knocks on him are the same as with woodley. i still remember pete carrol saying woodley would be just "average" as a pro.

he seems to have all the personality and confidence of woodley, too.

he scoffed at the idea of a TE being able to block him at the line, and when asked if they could beat him in coverage he asked with a laugh "have you seen anyone do it yet?

in about 30 collegiate games, he had almost 90 tackles for loss (3 pg average shows he is diagnosing as opposed to just reacting).

he said he can get up to 275 to play DE in a 4-3 but it was obvious he is looking to follow woodleys footsteps and play OLB in the 3-4.

very intriguing guy. i wonder how much the success of woodley will influence his stock.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,685 Posts

Graham is roughly the same size as Woodley, but faster and quicker....although he doesnt play with the same strength or base as Woodley in the run game. Many give him the Woodley comparison because both played at Michigan, but I think he is more like Anthony Spencer of the Cowboys.

Gotta say I am liking Ciron Black as good value in the 3rd round to play RT or Guard. I still dont think he has the feet to play LT, but uses his big frame and arms well. Kind of like Loadholt did last year.