Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823
Default Re: Graham flashes, Iupati crashes in Senior Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Gotta say I am liking Ciron Black as good value in the 3rd round to play RT or Guard. I still dont think he has the feet to play LT, but uses his big frame and arms well. Kind of like Loadholt did last year.
Good comparison. He came in looking a little top-heavy and was carrying a little extra fat. He showed at practice he can move people, but he can't move his own feet very well. His lateral footwork isn't very good and would be a much better fit at RG or RT. Personally, after what I saw at practice all week, I'd keep him on the interior of the line. He's a liability against pass rushers on the outside.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonslow View Post
Good comparison. He came in looking a little top-heavy and was carrying a little extra fat. He showed at practice he can move people, but he can't move his own feet very well. His lateral footwork isn't very good and would be a much better fit at RG or RT. Personally, after what I saw at practice all week, I'd keep him on the interior of the line. He's a liability against pass rushers on the outside.
I watched Black closely last year and while some had him a top prospect, I saw the same feet that would not make him an elite LT. But, he uses his long arms and has really good technique in sitting down, kick sliding and punching to ride speed rushers wide, without turning his shoulders to let them counter with an inside rip.

I think he is tough to bull rush and big enough that any outside rush is a long run for the DE. I personally think he would make a solid RT at the next level.

Several guys disappointed me at OT. Scott got flat footed a lot. Ducasse is sloppy and plays too high, Sam Young I hoped would be a good RT, but is looking tall and slow like Garrett Reynolds. Kyle Calloway and Mike Tepper looked better than Young at this point.

I think the best OT's that I saw last week were Black and Capers.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
good now we can draft a defensive player, i still think we can get kyle wilson or earl thomas heck or even both at 18's and they could cherish at the position.
I would love those 2 guys on our defense!!!!
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Sam Young has the weirdest looking build I've seen in a long time. 6'8 but barely over 300 pounds. Almost looks more like a center or power forward in basketball than a tackle.

Capers didn't really impress me, though I wasn't looking too closely and he had the "joy" of trying to deal with Graham, but I don't know why they had him at LT. Played RT at WVU and I can't imagine him moving over in the pros. Not quick enough.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
Capers didn't really impress me, though I wasn't looking too closely and he had the "joy" of trying to deal with Graham, but I don't know why they had him at LT. Played RT at WVU and I can't imagine him moving over in the pros. Not quick enough.
On the contrary. Capers is a former TE with excellent feet, but from what I saw, he plays too high and still has trouble anchoring against the bull rush. A lot of the converted TE's dont have big enough of a lower body to withstand a bull rush and end up leaning too much.

Hall of Fame DE Bruce Smith always had trouble with Patriots LT Bruce Armstrong and Smith said the guy was tough to move because "he had a big muffin on him". Both Capers and Young need some sand in the pants to help their games.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

So why is Capers at RT? Is it because he's so bad in those other mechanical issues you mentioned? I know that he was a much better prospect, but Jason Smith was a TE turned LT. I think that was the case with Jason Peters (I know he was once a TE but don't know for sure if he played LT).
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
So why is Capers at RT? Is it because he's so bad in those other mechanical issues you mentioned? I know that he was a much better prospect, but Jason Smith was a TE turned LT. I think that was the case with Jason Peters (I know he was once a TE but don't know for sure if he played LT).
Capers has good feet, but not sure why at RT instead of LT. I think he played primarily RT at WVU, so maybe he just isnt used to working from the left side. Maybe there were a lot of other guys that had played LT.

WVU used to and I think still does run a zone block system, so it requires athletic linemen. I dont think Capers is a good fit for the Steelers, but he is a good athlete for a big man. I personally didnt see a lot of guys at the Sr. Bowl that would be a good NFL LT for the Steelers.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #18
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
if the guy was better suited at tackle, wouldn't you think he would have been playing tackle in college ?
I've had that same thought. Does Idaho run a lot of power traps or something?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #19
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
I've had that same thought. Does Idaho run a lot of power traps or something?
They always had Iupati pulling a lot. He pulled on a lot of traps and sweeps and tosses. I'm assuming they wanted their best blocker picking up a lot of the trash on those plays. He's really quick in that sense and has a lot of momentem when he's pulling. I would think playing tackle, he's be sealing off ends a lot more and not being used to his full potential.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
mojawi
Water Boy

Member Number: 15896

Iupati is good, and he's more of a mauler which is what fills the bill here. The only thing is that he's being hyped as being a 1-2 round player and he's not that. He wouldn't break the lineup of a good passing team for a couple seasons. My humble opinion is that he'd be great value in the 3rd or 4th.
mojawi is offline   Reply With Quote