Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823
Default Re: Northside's Post Senior Bowl Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What do you think is the limiting factor with Angerer??

I watched him in several games this year and he is always around the ball, but when I isolated on him he just seems slow. He is fast enough for college, but seems like he lacks the quickness that would make him productive in the NFL.

At times he reminded me of Chris Spielman as just a hard working guy that plays better than his ability, but other times he looks to me like Jordon Dizon.
Angerer may not be as fast as his 40 time suggests (4.5-4.6). He certainly doesn't look that fast, and although it's true that he's always around the ball, that will only get you so far in the NFL. Players are faster and stronger and are better at keeping defensive players away from the ball. He's a really hard worker, has great instincts and a good attitude, but that's not always enough to get it done in the pros. Unfortunately, Angerer's limiting factor is the fact that he just doesn't stand out in any particular way. The Spielman comparison is a good one.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
CrimsonTideSteelersFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
1. Earl Thomas FS Texas
2.Kareem Jackson CB bama or Kyle Johnson CB boise
3.Lamarr Houston DT texas
4.Ciron Black OT Lsu
5a.Colin Peek TE bama
5b.John Jerry OG miss.
5c.Darryl Sharpton ILB mia. or Pat Angerer ILB iowa
6.Cameron Sheffield OLB troy
7a.LeGarrette Blount RB oregon or Lonyae Miller fresno st.
7b.Clifton Geathers DE s. car or Jeff Byers OG/C usc

This is based on the factor of the team getting one franchise tag and two transition tags in the case of an uncapped year. Using the franchise on Casey and the two transitions on Reed and Colon.

I think I'd rather see the Steelers pick a D-Lineman or a Linebacker as the first pick. I do like Earl Thomas though.

I also like Cameron Sheffield. He might be around by the sixth round, but I somewhat doubt it. He had a really good Senior Bowl. So did his Troy teammate, Brandon Lang, who will probably go in the first or second round. I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers grab Lang. Both Sheffield and Lang are from Troy where DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora played.
CrimsonTideSteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTideSteelersFan View Post
I think I'd rather see the Steelers pick a D-Lineman or a Linebacker as the first pick. I do like Earl Thomas though.

I also like Cameron Sheffield. He might be around by the sixth round, but I somewhat doubt it. He had a really good Senior Bowl. So did his Troy teammate, Brandon Lang, who will probably go in the first or second round. I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers grab Lang. Both Sheffield and Lang are from Troy where DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora played.
what are your thoughts on jackson and peek?
Old 02-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
CrimsonTideSteelersFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
what are your thoughts on jackson and peek?
I thought Jackson had a nice career at Bama. He really improved a ton from his freshman year to his sophomore year. I was a little surprised that he declared for the NFL draft a year early, but I imagine that he's ready to play. I think he'll probably become a standout DB for the team he ends up on.

I think that Peek has the ability and potential to be a great tight end in the NFL. His tall, rangy frame is definitely a plus. He's a great pass catcher and is really effective in the redzone and in the endzone where he can get up over the defense to make clutch catches. Playing at Alabama in a run-oriented offense, he was an outstanding run blocker as well.
CrimsonTideSteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #15
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
Good draft. Probably needs to be Jackson in round 2 as Johnson may be a first round player now.

One question though - do you have Lamarr Houston as a DE or a NT. I think he is a bit light on to play NT fulltime.
NT giving that being a pro he will put on more weight . and i also anticipated us re-signing Hampton. Wich will give him time to bulk up a little. besides he's only giving up five pounds to SUH and i'm sure you would'nt care if we got him.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

These are the same exact complaints that were registered about Chad Greenway and James Laurinaitis.

In 3 years, Greenway has 319 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 3 INT's and a forced fumble.
Laurinaitis in one year had 120 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 picks and a forced fumble.

There's 40 speed and there's on field speed. I'll take the latter 100 times out of 100 times. I think Angerer is going to be a good one at the next level.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,321 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
These are the same exact complaints that were registered about Chad Greenway and James Laurinaitis.

In 3 years, Greenway has 319 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 3 INT's and a forced fumble.
Laurinaitis in one year had 120 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 picks and a forced fumble.

There's 40 speed and there's on field speed. I'll take the latter 100 times out of 100 times. I think Angerer is going to be a good one at the next level.
I agree, football speed is more important than stopwatch speed. Angerer never really looked as if he played fast in the 3 or 4 games I watched him this year. Nothing like Ro McLain, Daryl Washington or Micah Johnson did. Those guys stood out on tape but Angerer doesnt to me.

If he turns out to be a good one, I hope we pick him. But, there is something that just doesnt add up when I watched him play. BTW, Jordon Dizon had 463 tackles in his career at Colorado.........stats dont always translate to the NFL.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,157 Posts

you also got to take into account not every linebacker is suited to play inside in the 3-4. look at jonathon villma when the jets switched to the 3-4. he couldn't shed blocks.so the jets let him go. bobby carpenter is another who seems to have had trouble adjusting.
MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #19
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

pat angerer wont be good at the next level he will always be a consitent but ok player.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #20
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
pat angerer wont be good at the next level he will always be a consitent but ok player.
So your saying that a fifth round pick would be ok to spend on a lifelong backup. Every team needs guys like that .