Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-02-2010, 04:39 AM   #11
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323
Default Re: Senior Bowl notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I thought tha Iupati looked pretty good on run plays....but has some serious problems pass blocking.

The three NT's in the game that I might be interested in, (Terrance Cody/Dan Williams/Cam Thomas) all looked good but I think we need to look at past game film to get a better idea about them. The Senior Bowl requires defenses to run out of a 4-3...so all three had to line up out of position.
I thought Ducasse looked good too. I'm starting to play around with him in the 2nd round. I haven't given up on Fox either, I am hoping he becomes the forgotten man. Have you heard anything on Fox.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #12
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I thought Ducasse looked good too. I'm starting to play around with him in the 2nd round. I haven't given up on Fox either, I am hoping he becomes the forgotten man. Have you heard anything on Fox.
Fox has probably been red-flagged off of a lot of draft boards. along with the knee surgery, he was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat at the end of the season. I havent heard anything else lately....hopefully he gets cleared medically and he can play pro-ball. I went back and watched tape of him two nights ago. In one particular game, he was playing LT primarily, but they moved him to the right side on several occassions to neutralize a passrusher that was giving them problems. He moved from one side to the other with no problem at all.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,615 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
What exactly did you like about Ducasse?? I really thought that he looked overmatched most of the week. He plays high a lot and really didnt show the strength that I was hoping to see......but he seems to get a lot of hype.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
LLT, I like what I saw of Williams very much this week. He was active in practices and in the game he got under Iupati several times and flowed well to the ball. (in the 1st quarter he went from left A-gap and with Iupati blocking him, flowed to the right b-gap to tackle the RB. Great Play!!!!)

Cody plays like just about every overweight, underperforming, powerful D lineman I have ever seen, coached or played against. On a counter play to his off side, he just explodes at Matt Tennant....but Tennant absorbs the blow and shields Cody off from the play. Cody has spent himself on the first hit and struggles to get that 370lbs moving again, as Tennant just walls him off.

Big difference is that once Cody is stopped at first, he struggles to get back into the play and looks lazy(he's carrying too much fat). Williams on the other hand keeps moving like an energizer bunny and shows motor, in additon to his strength.

Odrick was impressive too as a 5-technique. Also, the CB Cook from Virginia looks like a Steeler CB. 6'1", 212lbs and likes to hit.(reminded me of Aquib Talib, but not as flashy)
I agree and mentioned that Cody can get a little stiff from time to time, but I think as you drop his weight some and improve his endurance, things like that will get better. It ain't easy being green....or 370 pounds.

How are Cook's hips? Is he fluid in turning? Sometimes, bigger CBs can have trouble turning.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What exactly did you like about Ducasse?? I really thought that he looked overmatched most of the week. He plays high a lot and really didnt show the strength that I was hoping to see......but he seems to get a lot of hype.
I thought during the game he did a good job controlling the man in front of him, I thought he did look strong, and stood up the defender he was blocking more that once. Obviously you do not agree. To be fair, like I said, I did not see the entire game, and just have not had time to watch the recording. There is still plenty of time for me to change my mind, or you to change yours.

Simply, The Chief.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Fox has probably been red-flagged off of a lot of draft boards. along with the knee surgery, he was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat at the end of the season. I havent heard anything else lately....hopefully he gets cleared medically and he can play pro-ball. I went back and watched tape of him two nights ago. In one particular game, he was playing LT primarily, but they moved him to the right side on several occassions to neutralize a passrusher that was giving them problems. He moved from one side to the other with no problem at all.
I hadn't hear about the heart problem. I hope the young man comes out of this OK, football or on football. Let me know it you hear anything else on him. I really liked him as well.

Simply, The Chief.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Quote:
I thought during the game he did a good job controlling the man in front of him, I thought he did look strong, and stood up the defender he was blocking more that once. Obviously you do not agree. To be fair, like I said, I did not see the entire game, and just have not had time to watch the recording. There is still plenty of time for me to change my mind, or you to change yours.
I noticed a couple nice punches from him. Haven't really looked at the game closely though. More or less spectated the first time through. I have it on the DVR still.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,057 Times in 2,604 Posts

incase anyone missed kirwans notes from the practices. alot goes in line with what i have read on the board.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story?...s&confirm=true

First impressions always revealing at Senior Bowl practice
Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. -- The first practices of Under Armour Senior Bowl week are the only chances I get to sit and watch the players with no preconceived notion about them. It's an intersting way to begin the evaluation process.

I can let the players' athletic ability, skills and performance during practice impress me, and discover who jumps out and forces me to keep watching them because of how they flash in the drills.

I finished up the first North practice on Monday and followed it up with the second practice on Tuesday, allowing me to double-check my first impressions. Here are some players that jumped out at me early in the week.

Vladimir Ducasse, LT, UMass
Ducasse is the most interesting left tackle prospect on the North squad and possibly at the Senior Bowl. He makes it look easy. He has the feet to handle the athletic speed rushers and the technique to engage power. He works from a good stance and competes on every play. In some ways, Ducasse reminds me a little of Broncos OT Ryan Clady when he came out of Boise State. But Ducasse can get too eager to get his hands on the rusher, extend too much and occasionally find himself on the ground. This kid is no sleeper anymore.

Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
The first thing that jumps out about Weatherspoon is his size and range. He really moves well for a big man. Weatherspoon can make plays in the run game from sideline to sideline, drops with ease into coverage and can really close on pass plays away from his zone. He leads with his hands against run blockers and can shed. He missed two tackles in practice on Monday when he dropped his head and lost his base. The coaches spoke to him about it and Weatherspoon made the effort to correct himself, which is really good to see at practices like these.

Complete Senior Bowl coverage Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
Iupati has power and excellent balance. He rarely struggled with one-on-one blocks, quickly squaring up the defensive tackle and neutralizing his rush. He is quick to get out of his stance and into the run-blocking game. Iupati showed the ability to torque a defender and put him on the ground. I want to see more when he pulls, but this guy can play.

Brandon Graham, OLB/DE, Michigan
Graham has been rushing with his hand on the ground but he told me most teams talking to him see him as a weakside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He rushed with a good combination of speed and power and, at 263 pounds, could be a strongside OLB. Some compare him to Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley, but when I asked him about the comparison he was clearly his own guy. He is a solid, fundamental player who takes the game very seriously.

Tennant may be a bit undersized but he has a very competive side to him and the balance to win. He reminds me of former B.C. center Tom Nalen, who came to the Senior Bowl and impressed coaches the same way Tennant is doing. He handled the nose tackles he went against on Monday and came back again Tuesday with another solid practice. Tennant will be a key guy in a draft class very weak at the center position.

Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
I watched game tapes of Odrick on the plane ride down to Mobile with a personnel director and I was not impressed. His practice performance on Monday left a better impression on me. He moves well for a big man and works hard all the time. Odrick could play with a better pad level but he is worthy of more study.

Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
Wilson is one of those corners that always seems in position to make a play on the ball. He never looked like he had to close on a receiver because he was beat by speed, and he has a knack for getting a hand on the ball. I liked his ability to get a hand on the receiver to redirect his release and run with controlled speed while "feeling" the route.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,057 Times in 2,604 Posts

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story?...s&confirm=true

Scouting the South: seven prospects to keep an eye on
Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. -- I got a chance to see three South team practices in advance of Saturday's Under Armour Senior Bowl and talk with the Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, who is in charge of this group of athletes.

There was no doubt that the Wednesday practice was the best of the three days for the South team with a game-like tempo and intense hitting. I felt like I got a good feel for a number of the players. Here are seven guys that jumped out at me.

Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
Williams has lined up next to big Terrence Cody all week and it is clear he moves better than Cody. Williams can be a three-down player, and that gives him more draft value than Cody. Williams reminded me of B.J. Raji, a star of the 2009 Senior Bowl and a first-round pick of the Green Bay Packers. Williams can penetrate in a one-gap call and hold up well in a two-gap call. He is on his way to being a first-round pick and helped himself by working at the all-star practices.

Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
Cody is a 3-4 nose tackle candidate that has had a lukewarm week. I asked one GM in search of a nose tackle for his 3-4 defense if Cody reminded him of Patriots nose tackle Vince Wilfork. He was quick to note that Cody didn't have the range side-to-side and down the line of scrimmage, his arms aren't as long, and he was strictly a two-down player -- whereas Wilfork could play all three downs coming out of college. Cody needed to have a dominating week to be a late first-round selection, but he was just okay. His weight management will be an issue throughout his career, and we all know of guys that ate themselves out of the league.

On the other hand, another personnel director in search of a nose tackle was quick to point out these types of guys are hard to find and Cody was an upgrade from what they had on their roster. Cody will play in the NFL next year and he can stay as a veteran like Grady Jackson if he takes care of himself and gets down to 340 pounds.

Dexter McCluster, RB/WR, Mississippi
People who are hung up on measurables worry about his slight build, but his football performance on the field this week suggests he is a big-time gamebreaker. He's been the fastest player on the field all week and he makes plays. What was interesting to me was his ability to drop his shoulder and deliver a blow. He easily is a second-round pick for the team that sees him as a punt returner, slot receiver and occasional running back.

At Wednesday's practice, he caught a pass on a route out of the backfield and looked like a young Brian Westbrook. The Percy Harvin package that the Vikings run perfect for McCluster and I saw some DeSean Jackson traits in the passing game as well. Warrick Dunn was 180 pounds entering the NFL and he lasted a long time as a running back. This kid in a spread attack for a dome team can be a terror.

Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama
Looking for the technique-perfect offensive lineman ready to step in at guard and function? Johnson is your man. He doesn't appear to play a nasty brand of football, but he rarely makes a mistake and he grades out well. He didn't appear like a finisher that decleats tackles, drops blitzing linebackers and destroys defensive backs when he pulls. But he's a solid player who fits the profile of a second-round lineman who plays early and often but never wows you.

Senior Bowl coverage | Blog Myron Rolle, S, Florida State
A lot has been written about Rolle, the Rhodes Scholar who aspires to be a doctor. That is not exactly the typical career path for a hard-hitting safety. Rolle was out of football this year while studying overseas, but he proved he belonged here. He showed little rust and a chiseled body. He looked a lot smoother than people expected in transition from backpedal to close and in his turn-and-run ability.

Any team in search of a safety has to like what they saw of Rolle in Mobile. As one head coach said to me, "I don't think there will be a problem with adjustments on the back end if Myron is back there."

Anthony McCoy, TE, USC
The tight end group at the Senior Bowl looked average at best until McCoy started to impress by the middle of the week. He can block in line, get vertical in the passing game and he demonstrated some decent hands. New Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said his former pupil "will make a solid pro." I can think of eight to 10 teams that will study McCoy very closely and the Senior Bowl tapes aren't going to hurt him.

Jeff Byers, OC/OG, USC
As soon as I got to Mobile, I ran into a draftnik who told me it was a bad year for centers. I checked that out with a team's scouting director and he also thought it was lean. Byars plays guard as well as center, but in a class like this, his best value may be at center. He is one competitive guy and he likes to play to the whistle. Granted, he was on the ground on a few occasions, but the guys he was up against were on the ground more. He reminds me of Shaun O'Hara from the Giants because of his tenacious style of play. Between Byers and Matt Tennant, the Boston College center on the North team, things don't look that bad at the position.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,615 Times in 808 Posts

Thanks Tony for the Pat feedback. I really was not impressed by Ducasse myself. He did play an OK game, and seems to move well, but really seems raw. Less polished than Ryan Clady by a long shot IMO. He gets high and flat footed at times, and doesnt punch well, which gets his nose too far over his toes for a push-pull move.

Dan Williams looked good too, I like his motor and push he got. Tennant still looked like the best Center to me. He used great technique and angles to stone Cody....and he rolls his hips thru and really does a good job of getting under blockers. Tennant is no Alex Mack or Nick Mangold....but I like his game better than Ryan Khalil.