Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Super Bowl wins come with painful memories for Glen Edwards

Super Bowl wins come with painful memories for Glen Edwards, a former Steelers player addicted to cocaine
By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Updated: 6:05 p.m. Monday, Feb. 1, 2010

Posted: 5:46 p.m. Monday, Feb. 1, 2010

This is the fourth in a series looking back at the nine Super Bowls played in South Florida.

Glen Edwards doesn't like to flaunt his famous football past.

As a member of Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain defense, he made plays that helped seal the club's first two championships. One such play was an end-zone interception of a Roger Staubach pass as time expired in Super Bowl X at the Orange Bowl in 1976.

But when people he meets find out about his days as an NFL defensive back, the conversation inevitably becomes a source of embarrassment.

"I'm always hearing, 'Hey, where are your rings? Let me see your rings.' You can't imagine how that feels when I can't produce them,' Edwards said. "I haven't seen them in a long time.'

Edwards, now 62 and living in St. Petersburg, was in control on the field but not off it. He wound up fumbling away his rings away during a battle with cocaine that he said ended more than 10 years ago.

He said he gave his Super Bowl X ring — gold with two-carat diamonds — to a drug dealer as collateral for a $20 loan that he never repaid. And he said his Super Bowl IX ring disappeared after he left it with a friend while trying to recover from drug addiction.

"It turned out to be my worst nightmare,' he said of losing his rings. "I think about it every day.'

Edwards played 11 years in the NFL. He said he has been retired the last three years after working in construction.

He still vividly recalls his famous interception.

The Steelers were clinging to a 21-17 lead when Edwards tipped away an end-zone pass as the clock ticked down. Then, with three seconds to go, Staubach got off a final pass from the Pittsburgh 38.

Edwards leaped in the end zone and came down with the ball.

"That was my territory. No one was going to catch no ball,' Edwards said. "The ball just popped right in my hands. It was a heck of a feeling.'

Edwards said it wasn't the biggest play of his career. He said a more significant play was the hit he put on Minnesota Vikings receiver John Gilliam near the goal line in Super Bowl IX, a 16-6 Pittsburgh victory at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans. That hit, just before halftime, caused an interception and halted a Minnesota scoring drive.

Edwards said he wonders how effective that Steel Curtain defense would be in today's game.

"Football has changed so much now, you can't hardly look at the receivers too much without being called for a penalty,' he said. "During that time we could kind of bang the guys around a little bit. Nothing illegal but, you know, we were physical. That was one of our strengths.'

Edwards would end up returning to the Orange Bowl for another memorable game: On Jan. 2, 1982, he played for San Diego in the Chargers' 41-38 overtime victory over the Dolphins in a first-round playoff game known as the "Epic in Miami.' It was Edwards' last game in the NFL.

Find this article at:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...or-206735.html

(He was great player for us. I'll never forget his plays in the Super Bowls. Such a shame he had to get involved with that damn poison. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774
Default Re: Super Bowl wins come with painful memories for Glen Edwards

That is a shame. He seemed to be an effective piece of the Steelers' D back in the day... I hope that he is doing well nowadays... hey, maybe he could become our next DB coach. It sounds like he knew how to hit and intercept, something we need!
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I'm just glad to hear he's doing good in sunny St. Pete.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

That is terrible when drugs can take away your prized possesions. He will never see them again and has nothing to show for his hard work in the super bowls.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

poor glen, i know exactly how he feels, i lost alot the same way, but i can tell u from personal experience that wen its over, life is better than ever and im sure glen feels the same, regardless of the lost rings. he can have replacements made. somebody from the '70s organization should have new ones made by jostens, theyll do it for anybody with the cash
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelC7 View Post
poor glen, i know exactly how he feels, i lost alot the same way, but i can tell u from personal experience that wen its over, life is better than ever and im sure glen feels the same, regardless of the lost rings. he can have replacements made. somebody from the '70s organization should have new ones made by jostens, theyll do it for anybody with the cash
I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Rooney would have replacements made for him free of charge if he knew about it. Once a Steeler, always a Steeler.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

That is sad to read. I am glad to hear Glen Edwards is doing much better now!
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Rooney would have replacements made for him free of charge if he knew about it. Once a Steeler, always a Steeler.
It would be nice to see the steelers replace the rings but its nots likely. Since they did not provide much help to mike webster i doubt they will replace these rings.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Glen was an integral piece of the secondary back in those days. I seemt to recall reading somewhere that Lambert regarded Edwards as the toughest Steeler. That says alot to me. It really is a shame that Glen's life took the turn it did. I'm a little surprised I haven't seem him on the memorabilia circuit. I for one would pay for his autograph. And I agree with AtlSteelers, Im not too sure what if anything the Rooney's would do for Edwards. I never heard them doing anything for Webby either. Not to say they didnt.....I just didn't hear it if they did. I know his teammates got together for a signing to help him get back on his feet. Ol' Swanny wouldn't do it for free. Great guy!

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote