Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Steelers Will Not Draft A Nose Tackle In Round 1

Super Bowl media day is here, the Senior Bowl has come and gone. The NFL combine is just three weeks away and I have enough info to make my first huge prediction for the 2010 draft concerning the Steelers. The Steelers will not draft a nose tackle in round 1. There, I said it. That prediction will make a few of Steeler Nation mad and please the same amount.

Cody Williams ThomasThere is no doubt that the Steelers need depth and future at the position, especially considering that Casey Hampton could be gone in 2010 if no deal is reached or the franchise tag is not used on him. Even if he stays just one more year, Hampton is not an every down nose tackle and comes out most times on passing downs. The problem lies in the fact that there are no true nose tackles that fit what the Steelers need that deserve first round consideration.

I apologize to all of the Dan Williams and Terrence Cody fans out there, but I knew Cody would slip and Williams now needs a great combine in my opinion to keep his late first round chances alive. Right now, I just do not see either being worth the 18th pick of the draft. The good news is that if both continue to fall, one very well could fall into the Steelers lap in round 2. Another by-product of them falling also pushes the other nose tackle talent down the board as well. One of my favorites that flew under the radar until Senior Bowl week is Cam Thomas. I proclaimed him one to watch last week and he did not disappoint. A great combine could bolt him to 3rd round status and right into a Steelers uniform.

If not a nose tackle in round one, then what position? Well, that is a question that we will continue to dissect as we move closer to the draft. I will have future articles dedicated to that very question, but I can tell you right now, if the Steelers stay at pick 18, they will not be drafting a nose tackle with that pick. Cross that position off of your list.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/02...le-in-round-1/
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,149 Times in 1,466 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Will Not Draft A Nose Tackle In Round 1

Maybe they select a CB because William Gay really sucked this year.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,745 Posts

one thing these people don't take into account is that while there may be 4 prospects that have a legit chance of being a starter in the nfl...there is no less than 6 teams in need of 3-4 NT ...not to mention not ONLY will these guys only be looked at by 3-4 teams but 4-3 teams can use them too....some people act like the steelers are the only team in need of these specific type of Dlinemen...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Maybe they select a CB because William Gay really sucked this year.
i doubt it, he was the best nickelback last year in 2008 and filled in really good during bryan mcfaddens injury, so good that they then split time.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
i doubt it, he was the best nickelback last year in 2008 and filled in really good during bryan mcfaddens injury, so good that they then split time.
Yeah, but he was the easy target of opposing QB's in 2009 and probably the least willing CB on the roster to come up in run support on pitches or bubble screens. Burnett and/or Lewis will probably surpass him....so might as well start looking for a solution at CB in the draft with a premium pick.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

I would like to see the steelers tag Casey and get one more year out of him. Draft a guy like Cam Tomas late so he can step in next year. I think this years draft is so full of top flight DB talent in the first two rounds that the FO can't afford to miss out and not draft S / CB with both of there first two picks. When was the last time they spent a first round pick on a top tier CB. We all know the last time they spent the first pick on a safety .
Not to mention the league is getting more pass happy every year, and with the secondaries poor performance a season ago (yes I realize we did not have Troy) this is prime time to spend those fist two picks on that secondary. Come on FO don't let us down , keep up the strong draft record and go get us two prime time DB's.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, but he was the easy target of opposing QB's in 2009 and probably the least willing CB on the roster to come up in run support on pitches or bubble screens. Burnett and/or Lewis will probably surpass him....so might as well start looking for a solution at CB in the draft with a premium pick.
what he had some tackles for loss on screens, he had about 3 against tennessee, write what you only know please.

actually he wasn't the easy target, ike taylor was, gay only let qbs throw completions 54% of the time and ike taylor was in the 60's.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
what he had some tackles for loss on screens, he had about 3 against tennessee, write what you only know please.

actually he wasn't the easy target, ike taylor was, gay only let qbs throw completions 54% of the time and ike taylor was in the 60's.
Either way u look at it supa that is just way to high a percentage of completions!!!!!!!!!!!
It's just !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Gay, who had one interception last season, seems to be a frequent target for opposing quarterbacks, as much because teams tend to throw away from Taylor when he is guarding the other team's top receiver.

Baltimore's Mark Clayton had seven catches for 129 yards Sunday -- both season highs -- when he was matched, for the most part, against Gay. Even coach Mike Tomlin acknowledged that Gay might continue to be targeted by other teams

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09339...#ixzz0ePgh4Uyt
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Here is something that not only I know, but ESPN columnist James Walker knows as well.

Biggest need: The William Gay experiment didn’t go well. So look for the Steelers to upgrade the cornerback position. Perhaps budding rookie cornerbacks Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett can make enough strides in their second year to fill the void. Cornerback also could be a target with Pittsburgh’s first-round pick (No. 18) in April.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/ta...me/william-gay

So the Steelers may not draft a NT in the 1st round, they may need to go CB.