Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814
Default Nose Tackle Research

There are quite a few 3-4 teams in the market for a Nose Tackle this year. The talent pool does not appear to be very deep this year unfortunately.

Here’s a rundown of the 3-4 teams in Need: New England (FA Starter), Miami (poor starter), Pittsburgh (old FA Starter), Kansas City(poor old starter), NY Jets (old starter), San Diego, (old starter), Arizona (old starter), Denver (could upgrade).

Casey Hampton and Vince Willfork still have some mileage left in them so there is a reasonable need for 6 Nose Tackles for the 3-4 teams.

In addition, several 4-3 teams are in the market for big tackles, notably Houston, Jacksonville, Oakland, and New Orleans.

Consensus stature for an NFL 3-4 Nose Tackle is 6-4 or shorter, generally 320+ lb. The guy needs to be able to stuff the run, anchor well, have good strength at the point of attack, command double-teams routinely.

Just for reference here are the sizes of some prototypical NT as they entered the draft:

Casey Hampton – 6-1, 314
VinceWilfork 6-1, 323
Haloti Ngata 6-4, 338

There are some guys who don’t quite tip the scale but are able to play NT in the NFL. Some notable examples are Chris Hoke (6-2, 305) who’s been our capable backup and Jay Ratliff of the Cowboys who’s 6-4, 303 and has been to 2 Pro Bowls. These guys make up for their lack of size with tenacity, athleticism, and technique.

In my rundown here, I’ve included some of these guys, particularly if they’re stout against the run. If some draft sources are to believed, these guys are 4-3 Under Tackles only. Considering the number of teams in the market for NT talent, I think it’s likely that some of these guys will get a shot at 34NT. Worst case, if they don’t work out at NT they might end up being a 3-4 DE in the mode of Kimo von Oelhoffen (6-4, 300) ,who actually started at Nose Tackle in 2000. I marked these smaller guys with an * below.

These are more or less top-down in draft order.

Dan Williams Tenn 6-2, 329 -- Blue chip NT. Stout vs the run, collapses the pocket. Handles a doubleteam. Low center of gravity and good weight.

* Brian Price UCLA 6-2,300 - Tenacious player who has a low center and is good versus the run. Handled doubleteams routinely. Could be stronger in lower body. Pheonemenal production in College.

Terrence Cody Bama 6-4, 370 - Good in the game, poor condition, weight risk, good natural athletecism. Looking like a late 1st round guy. Concensus #2

* Lamarr Houston Texas 6-3, 302 - Did not shine in Sr. Bowl. Inconsistent reports: Sideline Scouting- good vs run, strong at point of attack, good lateral quickness, Not an experienced tackle. Bleacher Report -- weak at the point of attack.

* D'Anthony Smith La Tech 6-2, 300 Reports on this guy are inconsistent- CBS Sportsline -Can't handle doubleteams in Sr. bowl. Sideline scouting - Strong and powerful, good vs run, handles doubleteam. High character. Undersized but a very high motor guy.

* Mike Neal Purdue 6-3, 293 – might be a better 3-4 end. Inconsistent Reports: sideline scouting: Good vs run, good motor, stout vs run, good character. Bleacher Report: Not good vs good competition at Sr. Bowl

Torrell Troupe UCF 6-2, 310 Good showing at the Shrine game and during the International Bowl. He can command a double team. Looking like a 2nd or 3rd rounder. # 3 or 4

Cam Thomas NC 6-4, 331 Solid Performance in Sr. Bowl. Good versus the run and good size. Likely #3 or #4 NT

Linval Joseph ECU 6-6, 322 Junior played well at ECU. With his height he might be a better fit as a 4-3 NT. 4th or 5th rounder.

Ekom Udofia Stanford 6-2, 315 Played NT at Stanford where he routinely occupied multiple blockers. 4th-5th round

* Jeff Owens GA 6-1 305 Knee Injury in 2009. Thought he looked ok in the Sr. Bowl. From what I’ve read he’s likely more of a depth pickup in mid-late rounds. SportingNews said “He demonstrated the raw strength inside to be a natural 3-4 nose tackle, and he has the frame to add the necessary weight to play the position well in the NFL” Probably mid-Late round

* Boo Robinson Wake Forest 6-2,300 – draft stock seems to be falling on this guy. If he didn’t stand out against lower tier competition, he’s a project at best. Late round/FA guy.

Jay Ross ECU 6-3, 314 Good size but unspectacular play at a small school does not bode well for a starting NFL role early in his career. Late round/FA prospect.

Jason Baston MO 6-0,309 Not Strong enough or talented enough to be NFL ready. Might contend after a year on a practice squad. Projected as a FA
Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141
Default Re: Nose Tackle Research

Cam Thomas is a guy who is really intersting to me . Also think if Lamarr Houston puts on some weight he could play 34 NT and if not lik you said he would be able to play DE.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

i got to see a lot of mike neal at purdue. He will not be a NT in the NFL and if a team picks him to be there NT he will fail. he is more of a DE. He has a great motor and is a steeler kind of guy. very god head on his shoulders. But he would be a project , but he has all the ability to be a good DE in a 3-4.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
Cam Thomas is a guy who is really intersting to me . Also think if Lamarr Houston puts on some weight he could play 34 NT and if not lik you said he would be able to play DE.
Houston put on about 25lbs. from last year. I think I would rather keep him at DE, I don't know about NT. He played very well in the championship game.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

On a similar note...

Here's something I was putting together on this subject.
I was looking to see where some other 3-4 teams stacked-up at the NT position.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Casey Hampton (9) Chris Hoke (9) Steve McLendon (1-PS)
Kansas City Chiefs - Ron Edwards (9) Kenny Smith (7) Marlon Favorite (1-PS)
Cleveland Browns - Shaun Rogers (9) Ahtyba Rubin (2)
GreenBay Packers - Ryan Pickett (9) BJ Raji (1) Anthony Torbino (1-PS)
Denver Broncos - Ronald Fields (5) Marcus Thomas (3) Chris Baker (1) J'Vonne Parker (5-IR)
San Diego Chargers - Travis Johnson (5) Ogemdi Nwagbuo (1) Ian Scott (7) Jamal Williams (12-IR) Ryon Bingham (5-IR)
New England Patriots* - Ron Brace (1) Titus Adams (1) Myron Pryor (1) Darryl Richard (1)
New York Jets - Sione Pouha (5) Howard Green (5) Kris Jenkins (9-IR)
Dallas Cowboys - Jay Ratliff (5) Junior Siavii (4)

Hybrid 3-4, 4-3
Miami Dolphins - Jason Ferguson (13) Paul Soliai (3) Tony McDaniel (4)
Baltimore Ravens - Kelly Gregg (10) Haloti Ngata (4) Kelly Talavou (1) Brandon McKinney (4) Lamar Divens (2-PS)
San Francisco - Aubrayo Franklin (7)

Kansas City, Cleveland, Denver, San Francisco and Miami all pick ahead of us this year...

Just something to consider when thinking of other teams needs, and who might be there later.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Last edited by SteelMember; 02-03-2010 at 08:11 AM.
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

If picked at points of value...I would want Williams/Cody/Troupe and Thomas. In that order.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

For all of the reams running the 3-4 now and they pretty much all need either a starter or good depth at NT I think that there is a good chance that Troupe and Thomas could go as early as early in the 2nd rd. I think for that reason alone we need Dan Williams in the 1st or trade back a couple of spots and get an extra 2nd and draft Cody. He may be a weight problem but so is Hampton and we rotate guys in all the time anyway. Cody allways shows up on gameday though.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
SteelMember
Team Owner

[QUOTE=mulldog24;767262]For all of the reams running the 3-4 now and they pretty much all need either a starter or good depth at NTQUOTE]

With the exceptions maybe being GB (Raji), NE (Brace). Two guys drafted early last year. And probably BAL (Ngata). Everyone else... yes.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

Hey guys I have a question. Jared Odrick DT Penn ST, is 6'4" and 301, Has a high motor, is similar I think to Jay Ratliff in size. Reportedly, Matt McGuire from Walterfootball.com says he has the frame to handle about 15 more lbs of weight. Could this guy be a good candidate to play some NT for us as well as DE if he can get up to about 315 to 320 lbs? Providing this report is accurate.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
SteelMember
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulldog24 View Post
Hey guys I have a question. Jared Odrick DT Penn ST, is 6'4" and 301, Has a high motor, is similar I think to Jay Ratliff in size. Reportedly, Matt McGuire from Walterfootball.com says he has the frame to handle about 15 more lbs of weight. Could this guy be a good candidate to play some NT for us as well as DE if he can get up to about 315 to 320 lbs? Providing this report is accurate.
I wouldn't doubt that he might be able to handle NT duties (the guy is a fantastic player), but I'd prefer to keep him at his current size and weight put him at DE in the 3-4 scheme... Similar to what we're doing with Hood.