Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steve Sabol's tales from the Super Bowl

Steve Sabol's tales from the Super Bowl
http://feeds.latimes.com/~r/latimes/...,7149239.story

The president of NFL Films, who started as a cameraman, can tell some stories about Stram, Shula and a naked guy in the locker room.

By Sam Farmer

January 31, 2010

Down . . . set . . . uncut!

The 44th Super Bowl is at hand, and NFL Films has been there for every one of them, documenting not just what happens on the field but many things that even the most ardent fans wouldn't otherwise see.

NFL Films founder Ed Sabol started it all when, in 1962, he bid $3,000 for the film rights to the NFL championship game.

Since, the company has filmed more than 9,300 NFL games, and shoots enough 16-millimeter film per season to stretch from Indianapolis to New Orleans -- with almost 200 miles of celluloid to spare.

Steve Sabol, Ed's son, started as an NFL Films cameraman and eventually took over for his father as president of the company. He recently sat down with Times NFL writer Sam Farmer and told some of his many behind-the-scenes Super Bowl stories -- memories of Don Shula's missing Rolex, the most unusual hotel in New Orleans, the necktie that got Vince Lombardi in trouble with his wife, and that mystery man -- the naked one -- in the Steelers' locker room.

Some of the stuff from the cutting-room floor:

Odd man in

In Super Bowl XIII, Pittsburgh's Terry Bradshaw threw four touchdown passes to lead the Steelers to a 35-31 win over Dallas at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

But there was one Steelers fan who had an even better day.

First, let me say that it was my job to be the first cameraman in the Steelers' locker room after the game. When I got there, I saw somebody I didn't recognize. A pasty-white little bald guy -- turns out it was a Pittsburgh fan -- had gotten into the locker room, taken off all his clothes, and was in there showering with the players.

Somehow, he had gotten past all the Super Bowl security, police, guard dogs, everything, and had sneaked in. It was really steamy in the locker room, and I remember having to continually wipe the lens of my camera. Every time I'd look up, I'd see this little bald guy in the shower with Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Dwight White.

I'd been around the Steelers long enough to know this guy wasn't a trainer or an equipment guy. Who the hell was he? It was obvious he wasn't a player. So I went over to talk to Joe Greene at his locker, and during the course of the interview, this guy comes out of the shower and starts getting dressed in front of a locker near Joe's. I said, "Joe, who is this guy?" And Joe's exact words were, "I don't know who . . . he is."

Now, some guys are sheepish about walking around naked in those situations. That wasn't this guy. No modesty at all.

So he goes and parks himself in front of Larry Brown's locker. And I think this is the best part: Suddenly, three reporters come over and start interviewing him about the game! First of all, Larry Brown was a 6-foot-4, 260-pound, big, muscular African American guy. This was a little white guy. Not only that, but Larry Brown didn't even suit up for the game.

Well, this guy was going along with the interview for a while. But the reporters figured out pretty quickly that this wasn't Larry Brown. Ever since then, I've always been kind of leery about any kind of locker-room quote from the Super Bowl.

(Hmmm maybe I should file this one under Don't ask, Don't tell - mesa)

(Rest of the article is not about the Steelers. - mesa)

Anyway, this fan got dressed and walked out of the locker room. And I'm sure wherever he is today, he's got a great Super Bowl story that nobody believes.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: Steve Sabol's tales from the Super Bowl

who ever he is if he has passed away he died a happy man

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,028 Times in 1,275 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

That is funny thanks for sharing.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Now that is a funny story and thanks for sharing it Mesa. Old man just hanging out with the players. He even fooled the reporters trying to interview Larry Brown.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

That's HILARIOUS!!!! Wow...the fact that he's a short, white lil bald guy in a room full of huge athletes makes it that much more funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Showering with the Steelers after the superbowl.... too funny indeed....
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote