Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Thanks for the Memories: The Greatest Super Bowl Teams Past and Present

Five days away before hardcore NFL fans indulge themselves in sweets, chicken wings, pizza, and numerous assortments of dips and candies, Colts and Saints fans are nervously awaiting Sunday.

As their fingers are bleeding from excessive chewing due to a mix of emotions, and ESPN covers the lead up all week long, I couldn't help but think about the past teams that made this glorious time of year what it is today.

So here's a look at the Top 10 Super Bowl Teams: Past and Present.

10. New York Giants

When Tim Mara bought the franchise over eight decades ago, he never envisioned his once-struggling Giants would go on and win three Super Bowls. Originally founded in 1925, the Giants have taken the time to evaluate themselves as true competitors with numerous legendary players coming through in the likes of Lawrence Taylor, Frank Gifford, and even Plaxico Burress.

With wins coming in 1986, 1990, and 2007, the Giants have gone from "could be's" to "can be's", and finally to "have done's" in a matter of a 20-year span. Their glory years may be over for now, but we will see a resurgence of the Giants. That's what makes this team a dynasty.

9. Miami Dolphins

With the winningest coach in NFL history originating from Miami, you can't quite understand why the Dolphins have only two Super Bowl wins and three losses. That stat aside, the 1972 Miami Dolphins are the epitome of excellence. The only team to go undefeated in a season, and the only team to play pretty much picture-perfect football.

At the moment, the Dolphins are proving to be contenders for the New England Patriots and New York Jets, but they still have a ways to go yet. Don't forget Dan Marino, though—he made this franchise what it is today.

8. Denver Broncos

John Elway. That's what I automatically think anyway. If you look back through the books, though, you'd come across the stat somewhere that says the Broncos lost their first four Super Bowl appearances before No. 7 stepped in.

Nonetheless, it doesn't discount the fact that the Broncos have two Super Bowl wins—both coming from the Elway era and the legs of Terrell Davis. Now a noticeable "choking" team, the Broncos have gone a long way off stride from their once upon a time super football ways.

7. Washington Redskins

When I look at this, I kind of find it hard to write about the Redskins, considering how they are playing these days. However, they do deserve some recognition, because they were once a great caliber team. The late 1980s and 1990s was the Redskins' time, and they did it with style.

Selling out every home game since 1968, the now-named Fed Ex field was booming when the Redskins were an all together team. Although I wasn't alive to see it, the Redskins sound actually kind of cool. Let's hope for a resurgence somewhere along the line.

6. Green Bay Packers

The Vince Lombardi era will never be forgotten. Not for just the great football, but for the memorable quotes, as well. The oldest franchise in the league with three Super Bowls under their belt, Vince can no longer say "What the hell is going on out here?" Because it simply isn't true.

After Super Bowl I and II were won by Green Bay, the doubt began. Finally Mike Holmgren stepped up and got the spark reignited with Brett Favre and other Packer greats. These legends and Ice Bowl-type moments give Green Bay the spot they deserve on this list.

5. New England Patriots

OK, before you die-hard Patriot fans get to upset with me, consider this. The Patriots have only really turned their team into one of the greats during the past decade.

That doesn't discount the fact though that they've won and just kept doing it. Bill Belichick is the man, Tom Brady is the leader, and the Patriots fans are the voice. Three wins, three losses, the Patriots set the bar for prolific football during the 2000-2010 era.

4. Oakland Raiders

If you think back to when the Raiders were contenders, Al Davis actually had hair. He may seem like a mechanical old mad-man now, but he did give this team some great years in the sun. Three wins and two losses, Davis' phrase of "Just win, baby!" has lost its charisma. Now it just seems like a joke.

However, the Raiders are the only team to have played in a Super Bowl during the 1970s, 1980s and 2000s, giving them a well-deserved No. 4 spot.

3. San Francisco 49ers

What can I say about the 49ers? Well, Joe Montana is my favorite quarterback, and Jerry Rice is my favorite wide receiver, so I think I can muster something up.

Ah, the glory days. The sunny days at Candlestick Park, and the great passing ability of Montana left every kid trying to reenact the marvelous plays in their own backyard.

Five wins, zero losses, and a barrage of points leaves 49er fans proud to see their franchise so high among the other greats. When Montana retired, we thought it was the end, but then Steve Young stepped up and delivered.

It's almost a shame to see how the quarterback position has gone to waste in San Francisco today, but things look up for the modern 49ers. Let's just wait and see.

2. Dallas Cowboys

Roger "The Dodger" Staubach, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, the list goes on. Any kid who was growing up in the 1990s was a Cowboys fan. Dallas was like the Chicago Bulls during the Jordan era. Everyone got on the bandwagon and no one made a fuss.

Five Super Bowl wins, three losses, and a list of great coaches. The Cowboys left a lot to be desired back in their heyday. The 1970s and 1990s were kind to Dallas, but the 2000s haven't been.

The predominant word being "choke" is heard a lot, and the Cowboys' history is almost fading. There is still hope though, and with Dallas capping off a decent 2009 season, they could be back.

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

When you think of the Steelers, you think of the Terrible Towel and the Steel Curtain era. OK, so Terry Bradshaw probably wasn't the greatest quarterback to grace this earth, but he got the job done when it counted.

The 1970s were the Steelers' years, and they went on to win four Super Bowls in a six-year span. 2005 then rolled around, coached by Bill Cowher and led by up-and-coming superstar quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, and Jerome Bettis, the Steelers captured their fifth Super Bowl ring.

2008 capped off a NFL record-setting win for the most Super Bowl wins recorded by a single team with sixth, and the Steelers were now the epitome of the word "dynasty." Their glory days seem to be fading as of now, but they have definitely given Steeler fans something to cheer about over the past decade.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...st-and-present
Old 02-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Thanks for the Memories: The Greatest Super Bowl Teams Past and Present

Not a bad list, but at least the top 3 are correct IMO.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910
Default Re: Thanks for the Memories: The Greatest Super Bowl Teams Past and Present

Glory days fading? I doubt that...