Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,553 Times in 707 Posts
Default Cowher: Patriots Were Better Than Steelers in 2000's

Bill Cowher: Patriots edge Colts, Steelers as NFL's team of the decade in 2000s

Article. 2/4/2010

The debate over what team was the franchise of the decade has lingered as the Colts prepare this week to win their second Super Bowl title of the 2000s.

The Colts (one Super Bowl win thus far), Patriots (three Super Bowl wins) and Steelers (two Super Bowl wins) are the only real competitors for the mythical title. Some have suggested that the Colts, with a record 115 regular-season wins to the Patriots' 113, could claim the title with a win on Sunday.

But Bill Cowher, the former Steelers coach who led Pittsburgh to one of its championships, said the contest is already over:

"I think the decade still has to go to New England. But the Pittsburgh Steelers went to a lot of championship games, won two Super Bowls. The Colts I'm not so sure within the last five years they haven't been the most consistent football team.

"But you go back to the body of work and the consistency, and I think New England clearly is above everybody else. They never had that one down year. They've been on the brink from when they first won in 2001 until this past year they were in the playoffs. They've been the most consistent team."

Some might consider the Patriots' achievements tainted by the Spygate scandal in which the NFL punished them for recording opposing coaches' signals. But Cowher dismissed that as a relative non-factor:

"Listen, there's people stealing signals all the time before that. You have ways to hide those things. We had wristbands for our defense. I remember trying to get offensive plays and see what the formations were. Everybody knows.

"You're trying to gain a competitive edge. Did that go beyond it? To a degree. Do I think that helped them win football games? No. You still have to go out and play the game. I still have a hard time believing that was a difference in a game."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha Ha Ha..... good ol' Bill....

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823
Default Re: Cowher: Patriots Were Better Than Steelers in 2000's

I really hate to agree with that sentiment, but I think the chin is right on this one. The Pats really were a powerhouse throughout the decade, and whether you attribute that to coaching, quarterback play or a stout, veteran defense, I can't argue that they are the team of the decade.

The Steelers have been really good, but they've also been inconsistent. Look at the hangover years after the two Superbowl wins. We didn't make playoffs either year. The Colts are extremely consistent, but it's all about the harware in pro sports.

But God do I hate Tom Brady...
Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

I'd give the patty's the nod as well.

But i'll also add that it was so un-canny that every time we played them ( save for Ben's first game as a rook vs them) they seemed to know exactly what our offense was gonna do each play. Then their offense seemed to catch us off-guard on defense alot too.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Nope, I disagree. Cowher still wants a coaching job and has to work with some of the key people involved (Belicheat and NFL commissioner & staff). So he has incentive to downplay this. Plus, he will come across as a sore loser if he even hints it wasn't a fair game.

But let's not forget:
  1. Farrior and Porter both said the same defensive signals were used in that championship game as the regular season game
  2. The Steelers were 15-1 and had the most dominant defense in the league ... yet got blown out at home
  3. Players, such as Hines Ward, made comments prior to leaving the field that "it was like they knew our plays"
  4. Belicheat couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in Cleveland, yet he's a genius in New England? BS!

Also consider, if this wasn't a big edge why would Mangini act with such fervor to prevent Belicheat from using the first half spy film during the first matchup between the NYJ and NE?

Yes, the players still have to go out and make the plays. But when Tom Brady drops back to pass in the first quarter of the AFC Championship in Pittsburgh and launches a bomb for a touchdown, it's much easier when he already knows the safetys won't be covering the deep middle.

It's a basic fact that championships were stolen here and the league understands that they have to minimize this or it would leave a huge mark on its image.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Some might consider the Patriots' achievements tainted by the Spygate scandal in which the NFL punished them for recording opposing coaches' signals.
This is where I'm at as well. Especially after the relative whitewash the whole thing was given by Goodell - said "punishment" was a goddamn joke. Sure, let's slap a $500,000 fine on a billionaire - that'll show 'em. Call me a sore loser, I don't care. IMO, kirklandrules is correct in that Cowher has to remain PC over the whole thing if he still wishes to remain employed in some capacity with regards to the NFL. I don't. Fact remains they "won" 3 SBs by a FG a piece when they used, err, "questionable practices," yet they lost a SB by a FG to a HUGE underdog when they couldn't do so anymore. Proof's in the pudding.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
This is where I'm at as well. Especially after the relative whitewash the whole thing was given by Goodell - said "punishment" was a goddamn joke. Sure, let's slap a $500,000 fine on a billionaire - that'll show 'em. Call me a sore loser, I don't care. IMO, kirklandrules is correct in that Cowher has to remain PC over the whole thing if he still wishes to remain employed in some capacity with regards to the NFL. I don't. Fact remains they "won" 3 SBs by a FG a piece when they used, err, "questionable practices," yet they lost a SB by a FG to a HUGE underdog when they couldn't do so anymore. Proof's in the pudding.
Agree completely.

How many teams could have been "better" than the Steelers in the 90's had they cheated for an advantage?

Colts...?
Eagles..?
Packers..?

"better"...in this instance is arbitrary, based on ones willingness to overlook the Patriots organizations tainted record.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Agreed. How could you call any team winners or a better team when they cheated, and saying its OK being he charged Belicheat pocket change as a fine and making up for it? No way. Cowher knows that as well, but I agree he kinda had to say that.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

the patriots of the decade 00 will always be clouded in cheatism, the cowboys, 49ers and steelers dynasty were not filled with cheaters and thoroughly deserve the title.

who cares bradys a asshole. he knows he's hated and karmas a bitch as he laughs at plax prediction.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

He can also only speak to that which has been DISCLOSED.

He can't comment on stealing radio frequencies and all the other allegations, because the NFL chose (conveniently) to bury the matter.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Still played on the field and we lost. We could have won that 2001 game. To many mistakes. We blew it. 2005 we had a rookie QB. Pats feasted on Ben as we did Flacco.