Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default 365 Ways to cook chicken?

Well friends, there are some very healthy and fit members on SteelersFever.

I would imagine Steelerstrength who is a world champion bodybuilder, Troysbaddawg who was recruited by Nebraska as a runningback, and Stlrtruck who has transformed himself from fluffy to fit (as seen in his recent pics ) are all familiar with chicken as a good lean source of quality protein...

Anyway, I always just throw a few breasts in a pan with some oil and cook them. I have gotten so sick of eating chicken that I have actually been avoiding it to the detriment of my diet and workouts and have been recently shifting towards a diet consisting moreso of peanut butter and ho ho's, unfortunately.

So, I dusted off this old book we have called 365 ways to cook chicken and I am going to pick out a few new SIMPLE chicken recipes to try.

What I'd really like to know is what simple and healthy chicken recipes some of our other members like?

I would also love some ideas for a few quick and simple ways to cook rice and vegetables, etc...

Thanks guys!

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283
Default Re: 365 Ways to cook chicken?

I had to laugh when I read your post, GB! I'll throw a few of my favorite recipes at you starting with an easy one.

Preheat the oven and set at 390 degrees.

After cleaning the chicken well (I have to admit that I hate touching uncooked chicked), and cutting any excess fat or tissue off, I place it in a large baking pan. Then soak in lemon juice! Lemon penetrates pretty well and keeps the chicken moist. Then I sprinkle paprika, enough to put a light coat on each entire piece. Then comes plenty of Krikland (Costco) Organic No-Salt Seasoning. (Onion, garlic, carrot, black pepper, red bell pepper, tomato granules, orange peel, parsley, bay leaves, thyme, basil, celery, lemon peel, oregano, mustard seed, cumin, marjoram, corlander, cayenne pepper, rosemary) By this time the chicken is completely covered in spices. Then bake at 390 degrees for 50 minutes.

When you remove the chicken set it down and cover with foil. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.

Chicken should be moist and full of flavor!

I cook at least 8-16 at once so I will have plenty for a few days.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

Lots of recipes to send but I'll go with the simplest and healthiest - my own Italian BBQ chicken. I have not written it down and I "eyeball" everything, so these would be approximates...

8 boneless skinless chicken breasts

In a large mixing bowl for the marinade add...

1/2 cup EVOO
1/2 cup Balsamic - the better the better
1 cup water
1T granulated garlic
1T onion powder
1T crushed dried oregano
1T crushed dried Rosemary
1T Tony Chacheres's No Salt http://shop.tonychachere.com/saltfre...z-p-21721.html
20 or so grinds of cracked pepper
Depending on how you grill add optionally 2T of liquid smoke or not.

Wisk until all ingredients are well blended. I tenderize the breasts by poking them a gagillion times with a pair of forks IN the marinade. This gets the marinade into the meat as well.

You can cover the bowl or put it in a gallon storage bag and refrigerate. The longer the marinate, the better, but go at least 4 hours.

Pour the marinade into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower to simmer and reduce while you get the grill going. Grill em as you would any chicken and brush each side with the reduced marinade with each turn. You should get a nice dark caramelized finish.

We serve with rice pilaf - easy peezy - http://www.neareast.com/#products/ricepilaf this stuff is great and available in Wallyworld. Add your favorite veggies. I like sauteed broccoli florets with roasted red peppers, garlic in EVOO.

If you want to get a little more "Epicurean" but not too hoity toity, try this one. Still simple, healthy, and really good... http://www.olivegarden.com/recipes/r...recipeID=71517

A similar favorite but decidedly less healthy is...

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/14/3813

MACARONI GRILL'S SCALOPPINE di POLLO

Serves 10+
Submitted by Denver Rocky Mountain News

Ingredients:
Lemon Butter Sauce:
4 ounces lemon juice
2 ounces white wine
4 ounces heavy cream
1 pound (4 sticks) butter

6 to 8 (3-ounce) chicken breasts, pounded thin
Oil and butter for sauteing chicken
1/2 to 3/4 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper, for
dredging
6 ounces pancetta, cooked
12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
12 ounces artichoke hearts, sliced
1 tablespoon capers
1 pound cappellini pasta, cooked
Chopped parsley, for garnish

Instructions:
To make the sauce: Heat the lemon juice and white wine in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce by one-third. Add cream and simmer until mixture thickens (3 to 4 minutes). Slowly add butter until completely incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep warm.

To make chicken and pasta: Cook pasta and drain. Heat a small amount of oil and two tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Dredge chicken in flour and saute in pan, turning once, until brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and add to pan remaining ingredients. Heat until mushrooms soften and are cooked; add chicken back to pan.

To serve: Place cooked pasta on each plate. Add half of butter sauce to chicken mixture and toss. Taste and adjust, adding more sauce if needed. Place chicken mixture over pasta. Garnish with parsley. Alternately, mix pasta and chicken mixture together. Toss with butter sauce.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 7120

So my husband is trying to get me to cook again.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polamalu Princess View Post
Isn't that your job (sarcasm smiley really needed here, just yahkin your chains Princess ).

Anyways GB, one simple chicken recipe that is extremely good. Go to a Whole Foods or a Farmers Market and look for a Mango Salsa. Not the kind for dipping, but the kind for cooking. Take two Chicken breasts, lather them up in the salsa, wrap in aluminum foil, and bake at 350 until done. Really simple, and tropically delicious. Figure out which side works best, we usually steam brocolli and mushrooms together and coat with olive oil and garlic. Simple meal and good for you.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
Isn't that your job (sarcasm smiley really needed here, just yahkin your chains Princess ).

Anyways GB, one simple chicken recipe that is extremely good. Go to a Whole Foods or a Farmers Market and look for a Mango Salsa. Not the kind for dipping, but the kind for cooking. Take two Chicken breasts, lather them up in the salsa, wrap in aluminum foil, and bake at 350 until done. Really simple, and tropically delicious. Figure out which side works best, we usually steam brocolli and mushrooms together and coat with olive oil and garlic. Simple meal and good for you.
By the way, this recipe works excellent with Tillapia or Orange Ruffy (sp?) also. Thinking about trying it on Salmon also.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,784 Posts

Shake N Bake.

Here's my kids favorite.
Get your self a pot of water and season it how you want to make a sort of broth. We usually just use a lil salt, pepper, lots of garlic (garlic fiend here), tiny bit a dill, and throw in couple chicken cubes. Boil the boneless chicken breasts in that till its done and pull it out to cool off enough to cut into small pieces. Bring the broth back to a boil and cook some egg noodles up in it. Throw the chicken pieces back in and you have chicken noodles.

Not to sure how egg noodles fit in your diet though. We use the No Yolk ones.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polamalu Princess View Post
The beer ain't gonna get itself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

I eat chicken breasts at least twice a day, so i have a million different ways to cook it. Like Stlrtruck, i decided to change the way i looked a few years ago. I went from 260 lbs, to 195, and went from being able to bench press 135, to being able to bench press over 300 lbs. It was a whole lifestyle change, and diet played a big role (along with going to the gym almost everyday for two years).

Anyway, enough babbling, heres a few of my favorite chicken recipies, most are insanely simple...i usually cook abt 10 lbs at a time (about 14 breasts)...thats usually gets me through the week

Im a big fan of McKormicks Grillmates chipoltle pepper marinade. Make marinade according to directions, and grill the chicken, its really good.

Chicken Shish Kabobs are a good way to mix your vegetables in with the protein you get from the chicken. Use some soy sauce, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little bit of honey...marinade some chicken breast chunks in that for at least an hour. Put em on some skewers with your favorite vegetables and grill!

Also, if youre trying to do the health thing, try and stay away from white rice...whole grain brown rice is much better for you, and it tastes really good too
Old 02-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Like Hindes said, Shish Kabobs are delicious and really healthy. A good marinade for Shish Kabobs is called Finadane suace (?) I beleive. it is a Thai recipe and very delicious. Not really unhealthy, but if you are watching that cholesterol number, stay away. Don't know the exact ingredients, but if you PM me I will get them to you.