Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default A Steelers loss may be ruining your marriage

A Steelers loss may be ruining your marriage
http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/...-marriage.html
By: Bob Bauder
Beaver County Times

Saturday February 6, 2010 09:00 PM

Bob Bauder

Times Staff

Pittsburgh Steelers fans are noted throughout the world for wacky behavior, but who knew they were prone to marital stress?

It’s true, according to TWOgether Pittsburgh, a program geared toward building healthier relationships among area couples.

A Steelers loss was listed among the top things that negatively impact relationships in Pittsburgh, says Terry Mann, the organization’s project director.

Yoi!

It ranks right up there with lousy weather and road construction for turning couples against each other.

Triple yoi!

Those revelations came from a random sampling of 400 people in a five-county region surrounding the city, including Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Washington and Westmoreland counties, Mann said. The survey was commissioned by TWOgether Pittsburgh, which is attempting to get a handle on what causes marital stress in the region.

Mann said there are common denominators that cause strain in all relationships — work commitments, finances, child-rearing, household chores, for example. TWOgether Pittsburgh, in its survey, focused on things unique to western Pennsylvania.

“We focused on the weather because Pittsburgh is not known to have the greatest weather in the world,” Mann said. “We looked at sports. We looked at traffic and construction because it seems as if it never stops around here.”

They also asked people whether issues involving elderly parents can put a strain on their marriages.

They do, but they have nowhere near the impact of a Steelers or Penguins loss.

Less than 10 percent said aging parents contributed to marital stress.

The top three regional stress factors, in order: Road construction and congestion, gloomy weather, a loss by a favorite sports team.

And in Pittsburgh, the favorite sports team is the Steelers.

Of the 400 people surveyed, an average of 17 percent said a loss by the Steelers strained their relationship. Only 2.5 percent on average said the same about the Pirates. The Penguins averaged about 9 percent.

But road construction, by far, has the worst impact on marriages around here. According to the survey, nearly 54 percent of the respondents listed highway construction and congestion as the leading cause of marital spats.

Mann said marital stress can come in many forms, from short tempers to shouting matches and violence.

“It could be any number of things,” he said. “We didn’t ask those details.”

The good news, though, is that TWOgether Pittsburgh is a federally funded program. As such, it offers free workshops throughout the five-county region to help couples cope.

The organization has created nine different programs, most lasting six weeks, that focus on improving communications skills and other topics related to relationships. Mann said men, who are not typically interested in such things, seem to like the programs.

To find out more, log on to the organization Web site at www.twogetherpgh.org or call the office at (412) 741-8550.

“Sometimes people just need to be aware that something is an issue,” he said. “They just never thought about it. Like sports, for example; you get so caught up in a sports team that you don’t realize when they lose that it affects you.”

Bob Bauder can be reached online at bbauder@timesonline.com.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645
Default Re: A Steelers loss may be ruining your marriage

I wouldn't say that it ruins my marriage, but by far and wide and I'm rarely fun to talk to after a loss.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

After a Steeler loss my wife gives me an hour to vent. She looks at me real sincerely saying "I'm sorry honey" The next day we're back to normal.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,415 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF4i View Post
I wouldn't say that it ruins my marriage, but by far and wide and I'm rarely fun to talk to after a loss.
That is the way it is for me as well I am just a little cranky ok alot of cranky after a loss.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
After a Steeler loss my wife gives me an hour to vent. She looks at me real sincerely saying "I'm sorry honey" The next day we're back to normal.
Yes Yes. My girlfriend gives me the good old pat on the back says "im sorry sweets," and she moves on while i vent the rest of the day.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Well here it is, in writing, what I have been saying for a long time now. Fans take sports way, way too seriously when they should be no more than a diversion. If you're getting so worked up over a game/loss, your priorities are out of whack. Sorry.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
DoubleSh0t
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13180

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Well here it is, in writing, what I have been saying for a long time now. Fans take sports way, way too seriously when they should be no more than a diversion. If you're getting so worked up over a game/loss, your priorities are out of whack. Sorry.
Agreed. I may be upset for a little bit, but after a little while I'm still not harping on it. And I definitely won't let it impact my relationship with my fiancé.
DoubleSh0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,131 Times in 576 Posts

Never, ever impose your fandom on your family. Sure you may have a mood issue, but your wife and kids should never be treated badly because of your emotion from a game.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
Venom
Team Captain

Member Number: 13824

After a Steeler loss , I dont want to be talked to for atleast overnight. Also dont even make eye contact with me or look my way . I also sleep on the couch for the night. Its tough .
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

My Bride doesn't like football season anymore. She says I'm too tense. I don't think I am.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote