Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default A 'retarded' fight. Political correctness gone mad.

White House Chief of Staff Emanuel said (correctly, on substance) that for liberal bloggers to attack centrist Democratic senators for being too moderate on health care would be “f - - - ing retarded,” meaning politically unwise, then found himself getting a wedgie from Sarah Palin.

On Facebook, Palin, the mother of a child who has Down syndrome, presented herself as deeply offended by the implication that . . . what, exactly? That the liberal bloggers Emanuel was speaking to (in a private, off-the-record meeting) were acting as if they had Down syndrome? Surely the more mean-spirited insult would be to accuse those with Down syndrome of behaving as senselessly as lefty bloggers.

Emanuel did use “retarded” as a pejorative term — never mind that “retarded” originated as a euphemism, an attempt to refer gently to an unpleasant fact. Those who are now known as developmentally challenged and were once referred to as retarded were, before that, known as idiots, morons or imbeciles. Would Palin have been upset if Emanuel had called the bloggers “f’ - - - ing imbeciles”? Emanuel wasn’t seeking to increase the suffering of those with genetic disorders, and Palin knows it. She is pretending to be offended for political gain. “Just as we’d be appalled if any public figure of Rahm’s stature ever used the ‘N-word’ or other such inappropriate language,” Palin wrote on Facebook, “Rahm’s slur on all God’s children with cognitive and developmental disabilities — and the people who love them — is unacceptable, and it’s heartbreaking.”

Wait a minute: the N-word is the single most inflammatory slur in America. It’s been banned from polite society. Its purpose is to denigrate. “Retarded” as jokey slang for “stupid” is used all the time by thoughtful people who aren’t trying to offend anyone and aren’t referring to “children with cognitive and developmental disabilities.” The two words don’t compare.

PC sharpshooting has taken down so many conservatives over the years that I can understand Palin’s glee at finding Emanuel in her crosshairs. If Republican X should be fired for making an insensitive remark, so should Democrat Y, right?

Wrong. Neither should be fired, and Emanuel’s comment should be put in the bank and used as a defense against fake outrage the next time a Republican says something that somebody pretends to be offended by (but is secretly delighted to hear).

Let’s distinguish poor word choice from having severely bad ideas. Harry Reid said that President Obama had “no negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.” The phrasing may be weirdly Archie Bunkerish, but the underlying thought — that there is a distinctive pattern to the speech of many black Americans, one that Obama doesn’t share — is unassailable.

Republican senators Jon Kyl and John Cornyn compared Reid’s comments to the ones that forced the resignation of Trent Lott as Senate majority leader. But there is no way to rephrase Lott’s words to make them sound sensible: “When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn’t have had all these problems over the years, either.” Thurmond’s campaign was racist, and believing that several more decades of racial segregation would have alleviated “all these problems” was racist too.

President Obama’s remark that “You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college” may have offended the hospitality industry in the gambler’s desert oasis, but — substance check — would even Steve Wynn dispute that it’s not a great idea to deposit your college tuition into slot machines?

If you want to get offended, get offended by destructive ideas, not inept phrasing.

When Rahm Emanuel’s political obituary is written (pretty soon, at the rate he’s going), the words “f - - - ing retarded” will be forgotten.

But the words you should remember every time you hear his name (or that of the president who evidently feels the same way) are the ones he shamelessly and publicly uttered to justify using economic turmoil as a pretext for federal power grabs in unrelated matters: “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that, it’s an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.”

Have a comment on this PostOpinion column? Send it in to LETTERS@NYPOST.COM!

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz0ery3JBBL
Old 02-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
zulater
Team Owner

Default Re: A 'retarded' fight. Political correctness gone mad.

This was a nice find. I get so sick of people who just look for reasons to be offended when no offense was intended, or at least wasn't directed to the party who pretends to be outraged and offended.

Palin makes herself look like an idiot trying to make an issue out of this sort of nonsense.

Making mountains out of molehills seems to be about the only bi-partisan activity that both our political parties can get behind in earnest.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

I disagree, that word can be just as offensive to some as the N-word is to others. Just because it isn't offensive to you doesn't mean its not offensive or derogatory. Public figures such as Emanuel should know better then to offense a segment of their population like that.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
I disagree, that word can be just as offensive to some as the N-word is to others. Just because it isn't offensive to you doesn't mean its not offensive or derogatory. Public figures such as Emanuel should know better then to offense a segment of their population like that.

It's pretty evident to anyone that isn't trying to grind their own axe that Emanuel ( who I generally despise) wasn't attacking people with Downs syndrome or those that love them.

The so called 'R' word isn't comparable whatsoever to the 'N' word imo.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
It's pretty evident to anyone that isn't trying to grind their own axe that Emanuel ( who I generally despise) wasn't attacking people with Downs syndrome or those that love them.

The so called 'R' word isn't comparable whatsoever to the 'N' word imo.
You are entitled to your opinion.

I disagree.

Perhaps you don't have children or family members that are mentally handicapped.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
You are entitled to your opinion.

I disagree.

Perhaps you don't have children or family members that are mentally handicapped.
Perhaps you don't know what you're talking about? Because I do, an Uncle as a matter of fact.

I also have a cousin that was born with a deformed leg, but if you call my post 'lame' I promise you I wont get morally outraged.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps you don't know what you're talking about? Because I do, an Uncle as a matter of fact.

I also have a cousin that was born with a deformed leg, but if you call my post 'lame' I promise you I wont get morally outraged.

I did not say you didn't have a family member or friend who wasn't, nor did I say you didn't know what you were talking about.

I simply questioned you and told you I disagreed with your opinion....nothing personal.

Your last comment was personal friend.

If you want to be an ass and start a flame fight go ahead.....

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
Exactly. He needs to apologize. I'm sure everyone has mistakenly used that phrase at some point in their life, without considering the implications. Even so, he should know better.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
I did not say you didn't.

I simply told you I disagreed.

Don't be an ass.
You've just offended donkeys throughout the land.

Again Rohm's use of the word wasn't intended to offend mentally handicaped people nor the people that love them. And I'm fairly certain Palin knew that just as I'm fairly certain you do as well.

I'm no fan of people twisting people's words to achieve moral outrage. .
Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:

That was a pretty silly comment.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote