Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Charles Krauthammer: "The people are stupid. Republicans are bad"

I'd have said Krauth was wrong maybe 4-5 years ago, but these are pretty much the two main planks of the Democratic platform , now....The opinions expressed on this board prove this to me on a daily basis...

Particularly interesting: A few years ago, if you bashed Bush you were "Patriotically dissenting". Now, if you criticize Obama (who is doing a far WORSE job), you're an ignorant partisan hate and panic monger.

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/83746242.html

Peasants in revolt By Charles Krauthammer
Wsshington Post

Published on Sunday, Feb 07, 2010

WASHINGTON: ''I am not an ideologue,'' protested President Obama at a gathering with Republican House members last week. Perhaps, but he does have a tenacious commitment to a set of political convictions.

Compare his 2010 State of the Union to his first address to Congress a year earlier. The consistency is remarkable. In 2009, after passing a $787 billion (now $862 billion) stimulus package, the largest spending bill in galactic history, he unveiled a manifesto for fundamentally restructuring the commanding heights of American society health care, education and energy.

A year later, after stunning Democratic setbacks in Virginia, New Jersey and Massachusetts, Obama gave a stay-the-course State of the Union address (a) pledging not to walk away from health-care reform, (b) seeking to turn college education increasingly into a federal entitlement, and (c) asking again for cap-and-trade energy legislation. Plus, of course, another stimulus package, this time renamed a ''jobs bill.''

This being a democracy, don't the Democrats see that clinging to this agenda will march them over a cliff? Don't they understand Massachusetts?
Well, they understand it through a prism of two cherished axioms: (1) The people are stupid and (2) Republicans are bad. Result? The dim, led by the malicious, vote incorrectly.

Liberal expressions of disdain for the intelligence and emotional maturity of the electorate have been, post-Massachusetts, remarkably unguarded. New York Times columnist Charles Blow chided Obama for not understanding the necessity of speaking ''in the plain words of plain folks,'' because the people are ''suspicious of complexity.'' Counseled Blow: ''The next time he gives a speech, someone should tap him on the ankle and say, 'Mr. President, we're down here.' ''
A Time magazine blogger was even more blunt about the ankle-dwelling mob, explaining that we are ''a nation of dodos'' that is ''too dumb to thrive.''

Obama joined the parade in the State of the Union address when, with supercilious modesty, he chided himself ''for not explaining it (health care) more clearly to the American people.'' The subject, he noted, was ''complex.'' The subject, it might also be noted, was one to which the master of complexity had devoted 29 speeches. Perhaps he did not speak slowly enough.

Then there are the emotional deficiencies of the masses. Nearly every Democratic apologist lamented the people's anger and anxiety, a free-floating agitation that prevented them from appreciating the beneficence of the social agenda the Democrats are so determined to foist upon them.

That brings us to Part 2 of the liberal conceit: Liberals act in the public interest, while conservatives think only of power, elections, self-aggrandizement and self-interest.

It is an old liberal theme that conservative ideas, being red in tooth and claw, cannot possibly emerge from any notion of the public good. A 2002 New York Times obituary for philosopher Robert Nozick explained that the strongly libertarian implications of Nozick's masterwork, Anarchy, State, and Utopia, ''proved comforting to the right, which was grateful for what it embraced as philosophical justification.'' The right, you see, is grateful when a bright intellectual can graft some philosophical rationalization onto its thoroughly base and self-regarding politics.

This belief in the moral hollowness of conservatism animates the current liberal mantra that Republican opposition to Obama's social democratic agenda which couldn't get through even a Democratic Congress and powered major Democratic losses in New Jersey, Virginia and Massachusetts is nothing but blind and cynical obstructionism.

By contrast, Democratic opposition to George W. Bush from Iraq to Social Security reform constituted dissent. And dissent, we were told at the time, including by candidate Obama, is ''one of the truest expressions of patriotism.''
No more. Today, dissent from the governing orthodoxy is nihilistic malice. ''They made a decision,'' explained David Axelrod, ''they were going to sit it out and hope that we failed, that the country failed'' a perfect expression of liberals' conviction that their aspirations are necessarily the country's, that their idea of the public good is the public's, that their failure is therefore the nation's.

Then comes Massachusetts, an election Obama himself helped nationalize, to shatter this most self-congratulatory of illusions.

For liberals, the observation that ''the peasants are revolting'' is a pun. For conservatives, it is cause for uncharacteristic optimism. No matter how far the ideological pendulum swings in the short term, in the end the bedrock common sense of the American people will prevail.

The ankle-dwelling populace pushes back. It re-centers. It renormalizes. Even in Massachusetts.

Krauthammer is a Washington Post columnist. He can be e-mailed at letters@charleskrauthammer.com.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Democrats: "The people are stupid. Republicans are bad"

I remember coming back from an anti-war protest in San Fran that was held just before the invasion of Iraq, which was pretty remarkable, and I was very proud of how many people showed up. I met with one of my Republican friends later that same week, and he said to me, "Those people [the protesters] are just haters." I shook my head in disbelief and asked him what he meant by that. "They're haters. They just hate Bush. That's their only motivation."

I rolled my eyes bemusedly, and went through the obligatory litany: yeah, right, two illegal wars, an open attack on civil liberties, the economy in ruins, etc., etc.... none of that had anything to do with the protest, they all just hate Bush. Sure.

I reminded him about this conversation a few months ago, and I apologized to him. He was spot-on right, it turns out. Those people really did just hate Bush. That was apparently their only motivation for joining the protest march. I can't make any sense of the world otherwise.

How else do you explain it? How do you go from two to two-and-a-half wars under Obama without a peep of protest, keep Gitmo and our other overseas torture centers open, throw even more billions at bankers, ravage the economy further, refuse to raise the minimum wage, and actually make health care worse by making crappy and rapacious private insurance obligatory... How, I ask, do you do all of this without any of those same protesters breaking out their old picket signs again?

To revs point, you do it by using big words effortlessly, not needing to use a TelePrompTer, and addressing foreign dignitaries by their "proper" titles. That, in a nutshell, is the Obama (and Clinton before him) Advantage. Otherwise, both Obama and Clinton are completely indiscernible from their Republican predecessors.

As long as we're on the topic, though, people are stupid... and I do mean all of us.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,415 Times in 1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I remember coming back from an anti-war protest in San Fran that was held just before the invasion of Iraq, which was pretty remarkable, and I was very proud of how many people showed up. I met with one of my Republican friends later that same week, and he said to me, "Those people [the protesters] are just haters." I shook my head in disbelief and asked him what he meant by that. "They're haters. They just hate Bush. That's their only motivation."

I rolled my eyes bemusedly, and went through the obligatory litany: yeah, right, two illegal wars, an open attack on civil liberties, the economy in ruins, etc., etc.... none of that had anything to do with the protest, they all just hate Bush. Sure.

I reminded him about this conversation a few months ago, and I apologized to him. He was spot-on right, it turns out. Those people really did just hate Bush. That was apparently their only motivation for joining the protest march. I can't make any sense of the world otherwise.

How else do you explain it? How do you go from two to two-and-a-half wars under Obama without a peep of protest, keep Gitmo and our other overseas torture centers open, throw even more billions at bankers, ravage the economy further, refuse to raise the minimum wage, and actually make health care worse by making crappy and rapacious private insurance obligatory... How, I ask, do you do all of this without any of those same protesters breaking out their old picket signs again?

To revs point, you do it by using big words effortlessly, not needing to use a TelePrompTer, and addressing foreign dignitaries by their "proper" titles. That, in a nutshell, is the Obama (and Clinton before him) Advantage. Otherwise, both Obama and Clinton are completely indiscernible from their Republican predecessors.

As long as we're on the topic, though, people are stupid... and I do mean all of us.
In obamas own words "bu bu bu but bush, its not my fault"

But I'm to stupid to understand whats happening.

Who's obaame going to blame for Manning losing the SB.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

If republicans weren't so traditional, gay bashing, bigist bastards... they'd be a more acceptable party...
Thats a big reason why McCain lost, because of Palin being against gay marriage and wanting to turn the united states traditional.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by Vincent; 02-08-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
If republicans weren't so traditional, gay bashing, bigist bastards... they'd be a more acceptable party...
Thats a big reason why McCain lost, because of Palin being against gay marriage and wanting to turn the united states traditional.
Turning the United States "traditional?" As opposed to what, exactly? And if you really think all Republicans are bigots, then you need to wake up and smell the coffee. That isn't any better than thinking all Democrats hate America.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:

Who's being the REAL bigot here, friend?

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
RunWillieRun
Team President

Member Number: 3226

It is a real billboard.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

I'm a Democrat and that was just a stupid comment. Here's my whole thing on the political parties. It doesn't really matter if your a Democrat or a Republican because IMO those are just names, those are just tags for someone. It really matters if your conservative, liberal, moderate, etc. To clear things up... I'm a moderate.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
You mean like referring to the sitting POTUS as a "light-skinned African American with no hint of a Negro dialect unless he wanted to have one?"

Oh, wait....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote