Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,137 Times in 2,640 Posts
Default Colts SB offense looked like Steelers of '09

if arians plan was to turn the steelers offens into the colts, i would say he has succeeded.

i swear i was watching the steelers yesterday in the superbowl. infact, other than the final results (and the gaudy passing yardage and atttempts) it kinda looked like the steelers offens in last years superbowl.

both the colts and steelers seemed to open the game on fire and move the ball at will, then they stalled all of the 2nd and into the 3rd quarter. 10 points in the first quarter, just makes you anticipate a 40 point game.

serveral untimely 3 and outs, really hurt.

in the 4th, the no huddle seems to work, but by that point the running game is pretty much abandoned. when addai is averaging 5.9 yds per carry, why is mike hart (3rd string) even given a touch. this reminded me of the steelers vs vikings where mendenhall was tearing it up, but only had 10 carries.

just like ben, it seemed a no brainer that manning could drive the ball down the field for a tie and eventually a win. but that is when the interception happened.

the team that had the most passing attempts and passing yards lost. they also had the lone turnover of the game. while the saints had 2 fewer rushes than the colts (17 vs 19) the threat of the run was more prominent. both teams rb's touched the ball an equal amount of times (saints rb's had 2 more receptions).

like just about every playoff game this year the MORE balanced team won.

yes, the league is more geared towards a pass, but the more 1 dimensional a team becomes, the easier it is to predict and defend the plays, get a sack, or take a pick six to the house.

i know the steelers coulda beat the ravens and jets, just like the colts did. not so sure they coulda beat the saints, unless they were dedicated to the run game and keeping the ball out of drews hands.

much credit goes to the saints and drew brees (who absolutely caught fire after the 1st quarter).
Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Colts SB offense looked like Steelers of '09

And a defense which seemed to run out of gas, couldn't get off the field to save it's life and allowed a bunch of second half points. Certainly looked like an '09 Steelers performance all around.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

i know the steelers coulda beat the ravens and jets, just like the colts did. not so sure they coulda beat the saints, unless they were dedicated to the run game and keeping the ball out of drews hands.

much credit goes to the saints and drew brees (who absolutely caught fire after the 1st quarter).
yea we coulda beat the ravens but we didn't why? because they won more games than us and they were better than us this season.

u keep rambling on about all this crap, i bet u predict 16-0 each year.

grow up seriously.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
yea we coulda beat the ravens but we didn't why? because they won more games than us and they were better than us this season.

grow up seriously.
In what way was he trying to express a 16-0 season? What's wrong with looking at a team and giving his opinion, that's the point of a forum. If you don't like what he has to say just ignore the thread and move on, not be a jerk.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:

grow up seriously.
.....what?!?
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:

grow up seriously.
Cool it....OK?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:

grow up seriously.
we DID beat the ravens.

they DIDNT have a better record this year.

and speaking of ramblings and growing up, it is pretty evident you attended the m. vick and d. hester school of linguistics.

wtf are you even talking about? seriously, lay off the ebonics, and try to patch together a coherent thought.

nobody knows what the hell you are saying... ever.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
we DID beat the ravens.

they DIDNT have a better record this year.

and speaking of ramblings and growing up, it is pretty evident you attended the m. vick and d. hester school of linguistics.

wtf are you even talking about? seriously, lay off the ebonics, and try to patch together a coherent thought.

nobody knows what the hell you are saying... ever.
The Ravens were better than us this year face it. They got off to a hot start yes against bad teams, went quiet and then went average towards the end of the year... we managed to lose against many teams the ravens beat, they were clearly better than us, we have a better team but they had the better year and thats how it unfolded. Im glad we had a crap year it pays off now we have a shot at earl thomas and others.

and btw the ravens did have a better record than us they had a better divisional record which comes under the overall record. Mr know it all. Maybe i should read back all your glorious posts 26,541 and see if i can pick up better english.

Last edited by supa_fly_steeler; 02-08-2010 at 07:46 PM.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
The Ravens were better than us this year face it. They got off to a hot start yes against bad teams, went quiet and then went average towards the end of the year... we managed to lose against many teams the ravens beat, they were clearly better than us, we have a better team but they had the better year and thats how it unfolded. Im glad we had a crap year it pays off now we have a shot at earl thomas and others.

and btw the ravens did have a better record than us they had a better divisional record which comes under the overall record. Mr know it all. Maybe i should read back all your glorious posts 26,541 and see if i can pick up better english.
How does a better divisional record give them a better overall record? I don't understand that. Did that give them a tenth win on the regular season?

The Steelers and Ravens went 9-7 this season and split the season series 1-1. The Ravens had a better divisional record which gave them the TIEBREAKER to get a wild card playoff spot.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
And a defense which seemed to run out of gas, couldn't get off the field to save it's life and allowed a bunch of second half points. .
that definitely seemed to be the gameplan.

the colts defense took the field first. looked pretty good in the first quarter. in the 2nd quarter the offense only had the ball for like 4 minutes (and the consecutive 3 and outs was killer). then the defense had to take the field to open the 2nd half.

all in all, the offense only had the ball for 8 possessions where the average per team-per game is 12.

at some point a great offense has to be able to move the ball against an inferior defense like the saints did. of course it was easier for the saints to impose its defensive will when they pretty much knew what was coming.

last week tim ryan said j. addai would have 13 carries in the game, because that is what they do and who they are. pat kirwan agreed and theis was his #1 thing to look out for in his pre-game write up-
Many factors to keep an eye on in Super Bowl XLIV

Quote:
1. Who establishes the run?

With two tremendous passing attacks, you might wonder why this tops my list. The Saints ranked 28th in rushing a year ago and jumped to sixth this season. They want to use a balanced attack, but the Colts really slowed down the Jets' top-ranked rushing attack in the AFC title game. The tip here is that the Saints don't run outside, and they can't let the Colts' defense bounce the run game wide. The Colts' speed wins that battle.

For the Colts, don't forget they won Super Bowl XLI three years ago with a great rushing attack against the Bears. Even though the Colts ranked last in the NFL in rushing, the Saints, who ranked 21st in run defense, can be run on.
note that the colts defense was able to control the jets because they pretty much knew what was coming.

while the saints didnt exactly shut down manning, he nearly threw a pick in the end zone, and porter (through simple film study and recognizing tendencies was easilly able to pick him off to seal the deal).

while the saints executed nearly perfectly in all three phases, the coaching was one of the finest called games of the year. offense-defense and special teams all showed up big and executed near flawlessly. while their running game was far from effective, the colts still had to respect it and could not ignore it.

it seemed as if the saints ignored the colts run and practically begged them to do so. the colts didnt cash in on the opportunity that presented itself. they were determined to win with peytons arm.

that is what the steelers have become.

a healthy ball hawking defense, and not leaning so heavilly on the pass should do wonders to looking more like the saints as opposed to the colts.