Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811
Default My Pirate Pre-Season Analysis

I'm going to share my position breakdowns of the Buccos

Lets start with 1B
Starter - Sean Casey
Backup - Brad Eldred/Craig Wilson

1B is the one of the positions I like the most. Casey is a solid middle of the line up type of hitter. While he lacks pop (9 HR last year) he makes up for it in consitency. He is a career .305 hitter and has a good on base percentage (.371 last year 10th among 1B in MLB) He rarely strikes out (48 last year with 48 BB) and will bring some stability to the team. He also brings alot of leadership to the team. Something that was obviously laking last year. His hometown boy status will make him an instand crowd favorite like he was in Cincy. He will also be able to mentor Brad Eldred. Eldred tore up the minors but when he finally got up to the bigs he was obviously not ready. He has huge holes in his swing that were exposed when he came up. He has tons of talent, just needs a little seasoning. I would rather go with Wilson as the backup and let Eldred get the playing time he needs in AAA where he can work on his swing and his defense.

My Grade - B+
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Default Re: My Pirate Pre-Season Analysis

2B
Starter - Jose Castillo
Backup - Freddy Sanchez

I think we really have a blossoming star at 2B in Castillo. The best part of his game is definatley his defense. He had a .977 fielding percentage and participated in 93 double plays. His offensive production should not be overlooked though. He only hit .268 last year but look for him to improve. From 04 to 05 all his major offensive stats went up while he had less at bats due to injury. His average went up 12 pts, he hit 14 more RBI and struck out 33 less times (59 overall). His OPS also went up 9 pts. He also hit 11 HR! I would like to see his OPS go up to at least .325 this year. I would also like to see the new manager Tracy run him a little more as he only had 2 SB in 5 attempts. Castillo also has a competant backup in Sanchez. Sanchez was once a highly regarded prospect with the Red Sox but after comming to the Bucs in a trade was sidelined with foot problems. In 05 he hit .291 in 453 AB. He lacks pop as he only hit 5 HR but was still extremly reliable off the bench and as a utility infield starter.

My Grade - A-

Last edited by SteelerDan43; 01-26-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

SS

Starter - Jack Wilson
Backup - Freddy Sanchez

Jack really regressed last season batting only .257 after having his best offensive season of his career in 04 hitting .308. The main reason I can site for this dramatic drop off was his emergency appendectomy. I dont think Jack will get back over .300 again in his career but I would expect some where between 04 and 05, something like .275 or so. Just like Castillo at second though Jack isn't here for his offensive production. He is one of the best defensive SS in the league. He sported a .982 fielding percentage! He also contributed to 126 double plays. Along with Castillo this is one of the top 5 defensive middle infields in the game. They just suck everything up and turn some of the prettiest double plays you will ever see. And we will need their defense because as usual this year the Pirates will once again struggle offensively.

My Grade - B
Old 01-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

3B

Starter - Joe Randa
Backup - Freddy Sanchez

3B is one of the major holes on this team. Joe Randa had a nice season last year and sparked serious trade bait from teams lookin for that last piece for the playoff run but lets face it, he is not the answer to the Pirates hole at third that has been an issue since Ramirez was given away for a song and a dance. Being 36 now is when father time is catching up with Randa. In the first half of last season with the Reds he hit .289 but tired in the second half after being traded to the Padres hitting a measly .256. Now dont get me wrong he has the potential to a decent stop gap for now ala Kenny Lofton. I expect about .280 or so out of him and about 10 HR, decent but not what we could of had if we could of just kept Ramirez and our cheap ownership wouldnt of made DL dump his salary... But thats another gripe for another time. If he struggles though ala Chris Stynes I fully expect Sanchez to come in and take the starting job from him. I would really like to see what we have with Sanchez if he could start on a regular basis. As I said before, he was a highly regarded prospect with the Red Sox. But I dont know if he will be the future at the position. 3B will be a pressing issue for the Bucs all season

My Grade - C-
Old 01-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

LF

Starter - Jason Bay
Backup - Nate McClouth/Jody Gerut/Jose Bautista

We are set a LF for easily the next decade. Bay is the real deal, no sophmore slump for him last year! He hit .306 with 32 HR and 101 RBI. Easily the Pirate with the most pop. His only problem offensively was his strike outs (142 last year). He got jobbed in the All Star Game last year based mostly on Lloyd's feud with LaRussa. He also sucked it up in the Home Run Derby... Look for him to have another All Star season and become one of if not the premier left fielders in league. He along with possibly Casey and Perez are the only Bucs with a real shot to be part of the hometown roster for the All Star game at PNC park this year. The one question mark that continues through all the out field is who will be the backup? Nate McClouth has great potential but has no where to play with Duffy in CF and the signing of Burnitz in right. I'd like to see him go to triple A to continue to get playing time and come up in September to play right. Gerut is obviously not the future and can be a serviceable backup in the OF for now, but he has no real potential in my opinion.

My Grade - A

Last edited by SteelerDan43; 01-27-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:39 AM   #6
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
LF

Starter - Jason Bay
Backup - Nate McClouth/Jody Gerut/Jose Bautista

We are set a LF for easily the next decade. Bay is the real deal, no sophmore slump for him last year! He hit .306 with 32 HR and 101 RBI. Easily the Pirate with the most pop. His only problem offensively was his strike outs (142 last year). He got jobbed in the All Star Game last year based mostly on Lloyd's feud with LaRussa. He also sucked it up in the Home Run Derby... Look for him to have another All Star season and become one of if not the premier left fielders in league. He along with possibly Casey and Perez are the only Bucs with a real shot to be part of the hometown roster for the All Star game at PNC park this year. The one question mark that continues through all the out field is who will be the backup? Nate McClouth has great potential but has no where to play with Duffy in CF and the signing of Burnitz in right. I'd like to see him go to triple A to continue to get playing time and come up in September to play right. Gerut is obviously not the future and can be a serviceable backup in the OF for now, but he has no real potential in my opinion.

My Grade - A
Whoops his name is spelled McLouth
Old 02-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

ok well I havn't updated this in a long time so I'll give you another position before I go to bed.

CF

Starter - Chris Duffy
Backup - Jason Bay/Nate McLouth/Jody Gerut

This is the guy im most excited to see what he can do. I really think he will become a permanent fixture in CF. Tike Redman can't wash Duffy's jock strap. Ok now that I gloated about Duffy I'll back it up with some numbers. Now his offensive numbers are a little inflated as he played against other September call ups, but anyway you cut it .341 is .341! His value is really in his attitude and the way he plays the game... 100 percent all the time. He finally gives us a legitimate leadoff hitter. I thank god we got rid of Tike Redman. Unlike Redman who was a liability in CF Duffy's stong point is his great range and defense. Over 33 games he had a .988 fielding percentage. He really can take up some of the defensive slack in right and help out Bay in left. His range factor was 2.94, to give you an idea of how good that is, the league leader was a 3.05 followed by 2.93. He is at the top of the league in defensive center fielders. The only real question I see is will he be able to maintain his high level of play for an entire season

My Grade - B- (just due to experience)

Oh ya, 400 posts!!!!! Whoo Hoo now I'm a starter! Just in time for the big game
Old 02-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Good Anaylsis. Points To Your Posts.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

RF

Starter - Jeromy Burnitz
Backup - Nate McLouth/Craig Wilson/Jody Gerut/Jose Bautista

This is by far the biggest hole on the Buccos. Can you say Derek Bell??? Thats what I see in Burnitz. Maybey we will get luck and get a Reggie Sanders out of him but I doubt it. He hit a whopping .258 last year! But on the bright side he had 24 HR playing mostly in Wrigley Field. I understand why they brought him in, to add some pop. But the fact is we have the same player only younger in C.Wilson. Wilson can hit 25 homers but has the nickname KKKKraig for a reason. I guess I can deal with Burnitz as a stop gap for a year, he is 36 after all. I forsee RF is going to be a continuous issue all year. Maybey we can get luck and Burnitz will play out of his mind so we can trade him at the deadline for some young guy like we did with Giles or if he doesnt play well just for some middle relief help in the pen

My Grade - D

Last edited by SteelerDan43; 02-03-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

C

Starter - Ryan Doumit
Backup - Humberto Cota/Ronny Paulino

While we have some good potential here will it show itself in 06?? Doumit will probably come out of spring training as the starter but will split time with Cota. Doumit has better pop in his bat than Cota but still isnt great. Look for him to improve but dont expect Kendall numbers out of him. Doumit hit .255 with 6 dingers and 35 RBI while Cota hit .242 with 7 dingers and 43 RBI in just over 60 AB more than Doumit. Cota definatley has an edge over Doumit in defense however, .992 FP .227 CS vs Doumit's .975 FP and .400 CS. I would expect that is possible you see them alternate according to who's pitching and if we play a team that likes to run alot (Doumit has the better arm). Paulino is the odd man out and will start the year in AAA where if he isnt carefull could be passed up by hometown boy Neil Walker.

My Grade - C-