Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #11
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580
Default Re: Pittsburgh Highlights

What's in the Carnegie Museum?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,211 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
What's in the Carnegie Museum?
tons of greek and roman sculptures. killer dinosaur display (i think the largest complete brontosaurus of which casts are on display in some of the finest museums in the world). priceless works of art by renoir, van gogh, picasso etc. a great egyptian display complete with a few mummies. the place is huge, and andrew carnegie pretty much gave all his collection to the city of pittsburgh. for the longest time it was free and as a pittsburgher you felt like it was all yours. infact it was everyones. if youve seen the movie flashdance there is parts of the museum in it.

if youre into museums this one is definitely worth the price of admission.

its right across the 40 story university of pittsburgh which is a beautiful building almost looks like a giant cathederal. im not sure but it might have been the tallest building until the empire state building was built.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
Ohh. Guess thats not the same one I had read about. I told you I was ignorant about your home...
Your thinking of Mt. Washington in N.H.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #14
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

PNC park is something at night...I have a stunning picture of Heinz I took after a preseason game a couple years ago...I'll post it if I can find it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image061.jpg (56.0 KB, 14 views)
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
luvmysteelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1230

www.pittsburghskyline.com has some great pics.

Primantis, the Strip, Station Square, a ride on the incline, the stadiums.

What about your city, what would you show any of us if we were coming to visit?
luvmysteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #16
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmysteelers
www.pittsburghskyline.com has some great pics.

Primantis, the Strip, Station Square, a ride on the incline, the stadiums.

What about your city, what would you show any of us if we were coming to visit?
IMO, the coolest stuff about Seattle is what surrounds it. The city essentially surrounded by water with the Puget Sound on one side and Lake Washington to the east. We are also surrounded with views of mountains, the Olympics to the west and Cascades to the east. So we get killer sunrises and sunsets (when you can see the sun).

All those mountains and their forests, canyons, glaciers, and rivers offer endless opportunities for hiking, climbing (all types, but the ice climbing is pretty limited), river and sea kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, skiing and boarding, etc. You can see why REI started here.

And Mount Ranier, south of Seattle is a great destination. Its about as tall as the Rockies 14,400 feet) but IMO way more impressive than any other lower 48 mountain because it is essentially rising from sea level and laden with massive glaciers.

The Olympic National park is a ferry ride and and some driving to teh west. It has amazing beaches, peaks and rainforests that are amazing.

Plenty of boating to be done and checking out Orcas and occasionally grey whales.

So you can see I have a bias towards outdoor stuff. But that is what I think makes this place most special for me. The rain can be a drag, but there isn't actually more rain than most other places in the US. The difference is that we get lots of constant drizzle from late fall to early spring, but rarely get true downpours. And its amazingly green out here as a result.

In the city though... We too are pretty proud of our ball park and Stadiums. You've all probably heard about Qwest Field at this point. Huskie Stadium is shaped like a horse shoe and open to a view of Lake Washington and the Cascades. A significant number of people come to the games by boat.

We've got some good art museums. the Seattle Art museum has a good collection of native art and has an Asian art museum as well. The Frye art museum has a strong collection and is free.

The international district has a bunch of cheap and good Asian food.

Pioneer Square is one of the more historic areas in Seattle, but out here that means its got buildings that are about 100 years old. There is night life there but it can get a bit thugish (See Ken Hamlin's head injury).

Pikes Place Market is a must - its just an open air co-op with losts of produce, fish, and art. This is where people go to see the fish throwers.

You can always take a ride up Space Needle to get a view. Definately worth doing once if you catch it on a clear day. And a ferry ride or driving north bound on highway 99 offers good views of downtown and the sound.

the best times to come out are July through September if the thought of rain scares you. We are actually drier than a lot of the nation those month because we don't get thunderstorms often.

OK, I've been typing too much. But I gotta try to represent...

You are all welcome any time. Maybe we should have a fan exchange program next season. Have your diplomants start by sending us some pandas.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #17
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

What's the suicide rate in Seattle? I heard it's even higher than Cleveland's. I'm only like 15% joking, because I've literally heard that Cleveland and Seattle have off-the-chart suicide rates because of the shitty weather...
Old 02-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #18
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
What's the suicide rate in Seattle? I heard it's even higher than Cleveland's. I'm only like 15% joking, because I've literally heard that Cleveland and Seattle have off-the-chart suicide rates because of the shitty weather...
You are right as far as I know. Less sunshine equals more suicide for folks with true depression. Being the norhternmost major city in the lower 48, we have comparatively shorter days in the winter. U of Washington actually identified Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

Alaska has the worst suicide rates cuz of their winters.

So jsut bring your light box if you are gonna be here in the winter and prone to depression! And get professional help. This message brought to you by the WA Dept of tourism....
Old 02-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #19
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

The Pittsburgh History and Sports Museum in the Strip first.

Lunch at Primanti's in the Strip.

PNC Park and Heinz Field.

Shadyside for shopping.

Dinner at Tambelini's on 51.

Hit the bars on the South Side.

Drive up to Mount Washington and show them one of the most beautiful sites in North America.

Call it a night.

Listed above would probably fill a whole day. There are other sites and area's such as......Bloomfield (Pittsburgh's Little Italy), Science Center, Station Square, Andy Warhol museum, Carnegie Museum, Oakland and the Waterfront. Depending on what time of year you come.....excellent hunting and fishing in the area. Skiing and snowboarding. Kennywood Amusement Park (one of the oldest in the country). There's really only so much you can do in one day.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-04-2006 at 04:16 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #20
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

I'm currently below the snow belt, but NE Ohio has "Lake Effect" (something to do with Lake Erie's temperature taking longer to warm up/chill down compared to the adjacent land) which makes the weather overcast like 270 days out of the year...I don't think it's that bad where I'm at.

SAD is a real concern around here. The easiest and cheapest way to counter it is tanning beds. Since I hate the winter, and lived in Florida for almost 10 years, I have to hit the tanning beds for a couple months every year between January and March, and I always take a Florida vacation in March for Spring training...