Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #11
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts
Default Re: Winter Olympics - one guy dead already

Grumpy Gretzky looked like he was ready to take a dump and light it on fire when the Olympic flame thingie broke.

ha ha
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,106 Posts

Dang that was an impact such a sad story right before the opening ceremonies.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

Grumpy Gretzky looked like he was ready to take a dump and light it on fire when the Olympic flame thingie broke.

ha ha

That and the title of this thread (what the hell, you expect someone else to die??) have me laughing although it is very tragic and sad.

Call me morbid, but I had to watch that video over and over again. I lost my best friend years ago in a manner that was just as sudden and violent. Her death was explained to me as being instant without any suffering. After watching that then I believe that might have been the case - atleast I hope so.

God bless them both.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
Fire Haley
Banned

In happier news ...

WE got our first gold

American Hannah Kearney, at left, took the gold in women's freestyle moguls. American Shannon Bahrke, at right, took the bronze. (Jae C. Hong/AP)
Old 02-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,864 Times in 2,109 Posts

if anyone watched the luge, they took safety measures, by making the men start from the ladies position (knocking 200 yds and some speed off the track). they also put up a wall where nobody can leave the track infront of the metal supports.

kinda lame knocking speed off the tracdk but they were all still getting 89-90 mph.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #16
Fire Haley
Banned

They shortened the track by the height of a 9 story building? Thats crap. These guys know the danger.
The barriers run all the way up to the sky now at the finish line, where the accident happened.

Let them run full blast - I hope they don't shorten the bobsled course.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
Leftoverhard
Team Captain

Member Number: 9337

It bothers me to no end that the IOC has the gall to blame the kid for slamming into that steel pole. They should have had a safety wall before anyone got on that track. Way to deflect blame... Yes it's true - there are huge risks with luging - but seriously, do they need to make it worse by cutting corners on safety measures?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #18
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverhard View Post
Yes it's true - there are huge risks with luging - but seriously, do they need to make it worse by cutting corners on safety measures?
Great point leftover.

I can't help but wonder WHY they would cut corners on something that they know is so dangerous?...

Again, such a shame.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #19
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

So sad.

He felt something was off - just wish he had pulled out of the competition and trusted his instincts.

Quote:
The day before he died, luger Nodar Kumaritashvili spoke to his father by phone and said he was terrified of the track at the Whistler Sliding Center.

David Kumaritashvili gave an interview Sunday outside his house in the Georgian mountain town of Bakuriani, recounting one of the last conversations he had with his 21-year-old son. The Wall Street Journal reports:

"He called me before the Olympics, three days ago, and he said, 'Dad, I'm scared of one of the turns.'

"I said, 'Put your legs down on the ice to slow down,' but he said if he started the course he would finish it. ... He was brave."

Nodar Kumaritashvili also spoke with his parents minutes before his fateful slide, telling them he planned to make them proud, according to The Globe and Mail.

Since his death, many people have debated whether the track was too fast or the relatively inexperienced luger was out of his element. A number of Olympic lugers think the track was fine. They fault Kumaritashvili – a sentiment shared by luging officials who deemed the track safe (even while hypocritically lowering the starting location and adding pads to the metal beams that caused the death).

Germany's Natalie Geisenberger, who won a race at Whistler last year, said the women's event has turned into a kids race, a startlingly insensitive remark given the tragedy of Friday:

I'm not happy about the new start.

It’s not a woman’s start, it’s a kinder (German for children’s) start. The rest of the track is OK, but it's not as fast as from the proper start. It's the same for all the athletes, but I don't like it. I felt very good, but now because of the new start it's not fun.

Canadian Regan Lauscher complained that the lowered start means her nation's home-track advantage is "basically gone." Given that some have said Canada's resistance to allow other countries to train at the Whistler track played a role in Kumaritashvili's death, that comment beats out even Geisenberger's for insensitivity. Maybe Lauscher is taking cues from her coach, Wolfgang Staudinger, who said that "exotic sliders" are the reasons luge accidents happen.
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/van...urn=oly,219592
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #20
Fire Haley
Banned

Back to the top of the hill ...

WHISTLER, British Columbia --

Bobsled and skeleton races at the Vancouver Olympics will start from their normal locations at the Whistler Sliding Center.

Luge courses were shortened following the death of a Georgian luge athlete during a training run. Moving the bobsled and skeleton starts is not feasible, considering athletes in both disciplines need room to run at the start.

Bobsled and skeleton competitors will be given the option of training from a lower start if they prefer but must take at least two runs from their normal start, as is the case before virtually all international events.