Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #31
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Re: Major offensive in Afghanistan underway

Operation Moshtarak: British troops seize weapons, heroin, fake uniforms and bomb-making equipment from insurgents

Cache: Combined forces survey the haul of bomb-making equipment and drugs found during Operation Moshtarak in Afghanistan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nsurgents.html

A cache of enemy weapons, drugs and equipment has been discovered by British troops in Afghanistan.

Working closely with the Afghan National Army, soldiers from the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards seized heroin, components to make roadside bombs, mobile phones and sirens.

They also confiscated fake Afghan National Army, Afghan National Police, and U.S. Army uniforms - used by insurgents to infiltrate coalition forces and wreak carnage

The find was the most significant so far by UK forces during Operation Moshtarak, an offensive involving 15,000 Nato troops to clear the Taliban from their last strongholds in Helmand Province.

The confiscated materials will undergo forensic and contamination tests in a bid to aid the coalition effort, said Sergeant Matthew Nichol.

An Afghan medic called Mirafghan, who serves with the 6th Kandak 2nd Brigade, stumbled upon the cache while clearing a compound in northern Nad'e Ali.

He said: 'This find is an important step in bringing security to Helmand and all Afghanistan. The insurgents use the uniforms to attack our bases and our government here and in Kabul, and they use much of this equipment to plant IEDs.'

One Afghan soldier was killed in the operation, the largest joint mission in the war.

Meanwhile, military commanders raised the Afghan flag in the bullet-ridden main market of the Taliban's power base of Marjah today.

The town, which has a population of 80,000, was the largest under Taliban control.

The red, black and green flag was hoisted above the town, replacing the Taliban's white ensign, to signify another victory for U.S. and Afghan troops who launched the offensive in the opium-producing centre.

However, firefights continued to break out elsewhere in the town between holed-up militants and allied forces.

The top UK commander in Afghanistan, Major General Nick Carter, has also revealed that insurgents are sheltering behind women and children to hinder the coalition.

Cowards, i hope they die the most painful of deaths, but first get spooned up and passed around like the stanley cup in guantanamo bay

He said it was a 'fair assumption' that Taliban were hiding in compounds with innocent people in a bid to draw the allies into inadvertently killing civilians.

HIs comments were reinforced by General Mohiudin Ghori, of the Afghan National Army, who said his soldiers had seen Taliban fighters placing women and children on the roofs of buildings and firing from behind them.

Coalition troops have faced sustained machine-gun fire from fighters hiding in bunkers and in buildings including homes and mosques, he said.

He added: 'Especially in the south of Marjah, the enemy is fighting from compounds where soldiers can very clearly see women or children on the roof or in a second-floor or third-floor window. They are trying to get us to fire on them and kill the civilians.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0fpyYodnp
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #32
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
Operation Moshtarak: British troops seize weapons, heroin, fake uniforms and bomb-making equipment from insurgents

Cache: Combined forces survey the haul of bomb-making equipment and drugs found during Operation Moshtarak in Afghanistan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nsurgents.html

However, firefights continued to break out elsewhere in the town between holed-up militants and allied forces.

The top UK commander in Afghanistan, Major General Nick Carter, has also revealed that insurgents are sheltering behind women and children to hinder the coalition.

Cowards, i hope they die the most painful of deaths, but first get spooned up and passed around like the stanley cup in guantanamo bay

He said it was a 'fair assumption' that Taliban were hiding in compounds with innocent people in a bid to draw the allies into inadvertently killing civilians.

HIs comments were reinforced by General Mohiudin Ghori, of the Afghan National Army, who said his soldiers had seen Taliban fighters placing women and children on the roofs of buildings and firing from behind them.

Coalition troops have faced sustained machine-gun fire from fighters hiding in bunkers and in buildings including homes and mosques, he said.

He added: 'Especially in the south of Marjah, the enemy is fighting from compounds where soldiers can very clearly see women or children on the roof or in a second-floor or third-floor window. They are trying to get us to fire on them and kill the civilians.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0fpyYodnp
i think i like your comment in the middle the best. and i agree.
the sad thing is that i have had recent discussions with more than a few people that believe such tactics are justifiable because the Taliban are just fighting back the "invaders." in addition, in their view, it is not possible for me, or anyone to say that I/they, would not use these tactics if confronted with the same situation. evidently their are more people than i was aware of in our Country that feel just this way. i was a bit taken aback.
urgle burgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #33
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgle burgle View Post
i think i like your comment in the middle the best. and i agree.
the sad thing is that i have had recent discussions with more than a few people that believe such tactics are justifiable because the Taliban are just fighting back the "invaders." in addition, in their view, it is not possible for me, or anyone to say that I/they, would not use these tactics if confronted with the same situation. evidently their are more people than i was aware of in our Country that feel just this way. i was a bit taken aback.
The Taliban are cowards, why don't they stand up to their retarded views and other stuff i won't state as it could offend and fight for what they believe in, instead of cowaring behind women. I hope we crush them like goverment muels and kill them all, i don't care if one soldier is a children they should all be executed unless they have some inside knowledge.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #34
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Taliban ammunition 'running low'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8521503.stm

Taliban militants battling coalition troops in Marjah, in Afghanistan, are running out of ammunition, Nato officials say.

A BBC correspondent in Kandahar says that from eavesdropping on Taliban communications, Nato understands militants have called for support.

On Wednesday, an Afghan general said Taliban fighters were increasingly using civilians as "human shields".

The Afghan-Nato offensive in Helmand province has entered its sixth day.

Officials say they expect stiff resistance.

Nato officers told BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner in Kandahar that the resistance they were currently encountering was coming from small, disjointed but determined groups of fighters.

Air support

In the next few days, US Marines and Afghan government troops are due to push into south-west Marjah, which is believed to be an insurgent stronghold.

During fighting on Wednesday, US Marines had to had to call in air support as they came under heavy fire from fighters hiding in bunkers and in buildings including homes and mosques.

Afghan commander Gen Mohiudin Ghori said his soldiers had seen Taliban fighters placing women and children on the roofs of buildings and firing from behind them.

So they have no respect for their religion? And again Cowardly attacks, if i was a soldier i would capture one and execute him with 20 rounds spilling his blood all over the mosque so when Taliban enter there they now wha'ts coming. (Who cares about the Mosques, back in the Turkey war thousands of years ago the Middle Asian destroyed the Churches in Constinople and built Mosques over them, i show no respt) and then i would pin him to the highest part of a Mosque outisde on the pole to let his dirty corpse rot and get eaten by the birds

Gen Ghori, the senior commander for Afghan troops in the area, told the AP news agency: "Especially in the south of Marjah, the enemy is fighting from compounds where soldiers can very clearly see women or children on the roof or in a second-floor or third-floor window.

"They are trying to get us to fire on them and kill the civilians."

Nato has stressed the safety of civilians in the areas targeted during Operation Moshtarak is its highest priority.

One villager who had fled to Helmand's provincial capital, Lashkar Gah, told BBC Pashto that relatives could not leave Marjah because the area was heavily mined.

"They say they can't get out of their home. If anyone takes a look outside they are fired upon by the Nato troops - they have no food left and can't go out to shop.

"The Taliban left some places but are now resisting very strongly."

Tribal shura

On Wednesday, Helmand's governor, Gulab Mangal, visited Marjah and later travelled to Camp Bastion to visit injured civilians from the area.

Nato reports that he held a shura - a council meeting - with local tribal elders and officials to discuss security in Nad Ali.

British and Afghan troops have been reported to be advancing more swiftly in the nearby district of Nad Ali than are their US and Afghan counterparts in Marjah.

Afghan officials say that more than 1,200 families have been displaced and evacuated from Marjah and all are receiving aid in Lashkar Gah.

Operation Moshtarak, meaning "together" in the Dari language, is the biggest coalition offensive since the Taliban fell in 2001.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #35
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Anyone else find it comical that the foreign troops are wearing desert cammies and the local troops are wearing woodland?
Old 02-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #36
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

British soldier was killed in Afghanistan on birthday
Lt Dalzell was a platoon commander who joined the Army in 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8525555.stm

A British soldier killed on his 27th birthday in a major offensive against the Taliban in southern Afghanistan has been named by the Ministry of Defence.

Lt Douglas "Dougie" Dalzell, from Berkshire, of 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, died in a blast in the Babaji area of Helmand province on Thursday.

Lt Dalzell's family described the platoon commander as a "true hero".

Three British soldiers have been killed in Operation Moshtarak, and 263 in total in Afghanistan since 2001.

'Leading from front'

A statement by Lt Dalzell's family said: "Our darling son and brother to Olivia and Angus, you touched the hearts of so many. You are our world and we love you with all our hearts.

"You only ever looked for the good in people and kept strong and happy in all you did. You are a true hero and we will miss you forever."

Lt Dalzell, from Hamstead Marshall, near Newbury, leaves parents Anthony and Colette, brother Angus and sister Olivia.

Lt Col Toby Gray, commanding officer, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, said Lt Dalzell was "assured, confident, utterly professional and hugely popular with his men and held in the highest regard by his seniors".

He said: "It was clear to me that he adored his job and his guardsmen in equal measure.

"He was tragically killed, on his 27th birthday, doing the job he loved and leading from the front.

"The gap he leaves in his company, the battalion and officers' mess is enormous. We all mourn his death and will miss his gentle yet keen sense of humour."

'Gifted leader'

A statement by Lt Dalzell's family said: "Our darling son and brother to Olivia and Angus, you touched the hearts of so many. You are our world and we love you with all our hearts.

"You only ever looked for the good in people and kept strong and happy in all you did. You are a true hero and we will miss you forever."

Lt Dalzell, from Hamstead Marshall, near Newbury, leaves parents Anthony and Colette, brother Angus and sister Olivia.

Lt Col Toby Gray, commanding officer, 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, said Lt Dalzell was "assured, confident, utterly professional and hugely popular with his men and held in the highest regard by his seniors".

He said: "It was clear to me that he adored his job and his guardsmen in equal measure.

"He was tragically killed, on his 27th birthday, doing the job he loved and leading from the front.

"The gap he leaves in his company, the battalion and officers' mess is enormous. We all mourn his death and will miss his gentle yet keen sense of humour."

'Gifted leader'

Operation Moshtarak is the biggest military offensive in Afghanistan since the Taliban were overthrown in 2001 and involves 4,000 British troops.

In total, more than 15,000 US, British and Afghan soldiers have embarked on a push to clear Taliban forces from Marjah and Nad Ali in Helmand.

A British soldier, from 1st Battalion Scots Guards, shot dead in the Nad Ali area also on Thursday has yet to be named. His family has been informed.

The first British soldier killed in the offensive was L/Sgt Dave Greenhalgh, 25, from Ilkeston, Derbyshire, who was serving with 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards.

He died in an explosion while on vehicle patrol near Lashkar Gah, in Helmand, on Saturday.

Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth said he was "deeply saddened" to hear of the death of Lt Dalzell.

"He was clearly a gifted leader and an inspiration to his men, never asking them to do something he had not already done himself," he said.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #37
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

US-led troops make 'steady progress' in Marjah
Page last updated at 21:26 GMT, Monday, 22 February 2010
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8529438.stm

US-led forces fighting to clear a Taliban stronghold in south Afghanistan are making "steady progress", the most senior US military commander says.

Adm Mike Mullen said the operation in the town of Marjah in Helmand province was "messy... but that doesn't mean that it's not worth the cost".

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said Operation Moshtarak in Helmand was proceeding slower than expected.

About 15,000 Nato and Afghan troops are involved in the 10-day old offensive.

Earlier, the Afghan government condemned a Nato air strike in neighbouring Uruzgan province which killed at least 27 civilians.

Nato has launched an inquiry into the attack, and the commander of international forces in Afghanistan, Gen Stanley McChrystal, has apologised to Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

'Slow pace'

Mr Gates, speaking at the Pentagon alongside Adm Mullen, said that the slow pace of Moshtarak should not affect future operations against Afghan militants.

"Even though it's going a little slower than expected, I haven't seen anything that indicates it has had any impact on the future planning that General McChrystal is doing for subsequent operations," he said.

Adm Mike Mullen
In some places the enemy fights harder than expected. The IEDs [improvised explosive devices] he has planted along the roads and at intersections, though crude, are still deadly
Adm Mike Mullen

Afghans condemn Nato attack
Operation Moshtarak

"The situation remains serious but is no longer deteriorating," he added.

When Operation Moshtarak began, British and Afghan troops advanced swiftly through the district of Nad Ali meeting little resistance.

But US Marines and Afghan forces have encountered stiff resistance in Marjah to the south-west. Their progress has also be hindered by a large number of improvised bombs.

"As you've all been seeing, we're making steady, if perhaps a bit slower than anticipated, progress," Adm Mullen, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, said.

"By all accounts the Taliban's resistance has been at best disjointed, but we have experienced difficulties. In some places the enemy fights harder than expected. The IEDs [improvised explosive devices] he has planted along the roads and at intersections, though crude, are still deadly."

Adm Mullen also expressed regret for Sunday's deadly Nato airstrike in Uruzgan province - not connected to Moshtarak.

Nato said it had hit a suspected insurgent convoy, but troops then found "a number of individuals killed and wounded", including women and children.

The Afghan government condemned the attack as "unjustifiable" and "a major obstacle" to effective counter-terrorism efforts.

Gen McChrystal, who has made winning Afghan hearts and minds a priority in ending the Taliban insurgency, said it was a "tragic loss of innocent lives".

"I have made it clear to our forces that we are here to protect the Afghan people, and inadvertently killing or injuring civilians undermines their trust and confidence in our mission," he said in a statement.

Suicide attack

In another development, a suicide attack in the eastern province of Nangahar on Monday killed at least 15 people including influential Afghan tribal chief Mohammad Haji Zaman.

Correspondents say the former mujahideen warlord played an important role in fighting the Taliban and al-Qaeda in 2001 but was suspected of having allowed Osama Bin Laden to flee to Pakistan.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #38
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
The Taliban are cowards, why don't they stand up to their retarded views and other stuff i won't state as it could offend and fight for what they believe in, instead of cowaring behind women. I hope we crush them like goverment muels and kill them all, i don't care if one soldier is a children they should all be executed unless they have some inside knowledge.
....and then bury them with a pig. Have fun trying to get your virgins now