Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers' Colbert open to using free agent tags (From Post-Gazette)

The Steelers will open contract negotiations with three of their impending free agents by the end of next week. That will give team officials about a week to decide if they should use one of the two special designations to keep the players not signed to a new contract.

The three, as identified by team football operations director Kevin Colbert, are kicker Jeff Reed, nose tackle Casey Hampton and free safety Ryan Clark. Other impending free agents will not be approached before they can begin negotiating with other teams March 5. Those include veterans and former starters Willie Parker and Deshea Townsend.

"I think the three starters, which includes Jeff, will be the priority," Colbert said Friday. "Any of the depth guys, we'll see where they stand and we'll see where we stand as we move into the free agency."

The Steelers, as with all NFL teams, have two tools to protect their rights to two players if they want to use them this year. One is the franchise designation and the other is the transition. A franchise tag virtually assures that player will return for the 2010 season. The transition tag only gives the team the right to match any contract the player might sign elsewhere in free agency.

Colbert said the Steelers will use either tag if necessary. The team did so the past two years with offensive tackle Max Starks, who then signed a long-term contract in 2009.

"Our stance on the tags is that while we don't like to use them we're never going to say that we're not going to use something that is collectively bargained as a tool in this process," Colbert said.

NFL teams can place either of the tags on any two players between now and Feb. 25. That will give the Steelers about one week to decide whether to use a tag on one or two of their three "priorities." If they have not signed a player to a new contract and do not put a tag on him by Feb. 25, they would risk losing him in free agency starting March 5.

"I think there will be time," Colbert said. "Right now we're not looking at it as against the clock or anything like that."

Colbert and his scouts have been meeting this week at the Steelers' headquarters on the South Side as they evaluate upcoming free-agent prospects from other teams and prepare for the Indianapolis scouting combine workouts Feb. 24 through March 2. Once they complete their free-agent evaluations, he said, they will begin negotiations with their own free agents, probably by next Friday.

Colbert would not rule out the team's non-priority free agents returning. Those would include Parker and Townsend, among others. He did say the team would like to re-sign veteran backup quarterback Charlie Batch.

"Sometimes they'll rule themselves by signing elsewhere," Colbert said. "Or over the course of free agency we sign a player from another team."

Colbert touched on a number of topics Friday. Among them:

On whether the team will spend more in free agency because there will be no salary cap this year: "No. We will operate as we always have. We will operate as if we have a cap because you don't know what you're going to be dealing with."

On which positions might be a priority to fill in free agency or the draft: "This sounds generic but I don't think there's any position except for maybe quarterback where you couldn't improve your depth . ... You look at your team, again 9-7, you can add depth anywhere and you can add competition anywhere ... at 9-7 we are not good enough. And that's a collective 'we' -- offense, defense, coaching, personnel, everything."

On when the team might negotiate extensions to young starters who have one year to go, particularly Santonio Holmes and LaMarr Woodley: "That's beyond free agency. That's most likely beyond the draft. The free agency and the draft will take priority. When you're getting that far down the road it gets even more unpredictable."

On signing former Pitt punter Adam Graessle, who also has displayed a strong leg on kickoffs: "That's a nice quality to have because sometimes when you're getting down to camp rosters, with an 80-man roster, those versatilities and extra abilities might save you a roster spot somewhere along the way."

On the quality of players in this year's draft: "I think the quality of the draft is excellent. It's very deep defensively. Offensively, there may not be as many big-name skill positions, but there are a lot of players. It's really a good draft. It really is."

On the mysterious illness that ended the 2009 season of wide receiver Limas Sweed: "That's something that will be addressed at the proper time and now's not the proper time."

He acknowledged he is entering the final year of his contract, but would not address his future. "Anything to do with my personal status I would not talk about it at this point or at any point. That's really not for me to discuss. I'm totally happy in my position at this point, sure."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10044/1035637-66.stm
Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers' Colbert open to using free agent tags Read more: http://www.post-gazet

Mods would you please help me edit the title
Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Steelers' Colbert open to using free agent tags (From Post-Gazette)

Done.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I just think if they tag Hampton it will be a mess.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
T&B fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9959

• On the mysterious illness that ended the 2009 season of wide receiver Limas Sweed: "That's something that will be addressed at the proper time and now's not the proper time."

the dropies ?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Huh i like Batch but why resign him, he's a waste of roster space that can preciously be used, get him as a coach or something :\ Let Dixon become the backup now

LETS GO STEELERS
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

Tag Reed and make Hampton the transition. Clark hasn't really done to well and they should draft a replacement for him.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote