Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #21
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: The professor's amazing "climate change" retreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Then there are other theories which are still chock full of holes, but moving in the other direction: new data simply fills in the theory, reaffirming it rather than calling it into question. Evolution is just such a theory. It's still not a certainty, but functionally it is so, and we have yet to find a reason to doubt it. It must be painfully boring at this point in history to be forced to do studies supporting Evolution, just because there are still kooks (with a lot of clout) trying to counter it. Can you imagine still having to do studies trying to confirm heliocentrism, just because Muslims, Christians, Baha'i or someone else violently opposed it?
Ric, if by "kooks" you mean to marginalize what are the staggering majority of opinions you should note that the position you occupy is indeed the margin. And as you correctly point out, theories are but theories, none more valid than the other until proven. Enter precious doubt.

Theories need to be sold to attain critical mass. "Evolution" has enjoyed more than a century of aggressive selling only to be yet a theory. Those that doubt, and they are many, have noted the holes.

Let me posit another theory. The "global warming" / "man made climate change" / OMG the freekin sky is falling" hysteria is itself man made. It descends from an agenda. It follows the same pattern as all leftist agendas. First, there is a group of folks being threatened by something, or a species, or a "rain forest" ( we used to call them jungles), or the seas, or the "ozone", or now OMG, Mother freekin Earth. The "threat" to these entities constitutes a "crisis". The crisis demands immediate action and gives license to the anointed to take whatever measures they deem necessary to avert the crisis. These measures always cost the folks that have absolutely @#$%ing bupkus to do with the "crisis" their own rights, cash, and if the agenda follows it's path, their freedom. See the fundamental flaws of leftism make it impossible to sell on its own merits. For leftists to gain any influence in the affairs of man, they must deceive. The "crisis" is a most expeditious deception because it demands immediate action. "No time to think you people. We must save ________!! And if 'we' fail to act it'll be on the heads of 'the children'.". We've all seen the movie a few hundred times.

I can't prove this theory any more than you can prove "evolution" or "global warming" / "man made climate change" / OMG the freekin sky is falling". Nor can you disprove my theory. But please, doubt.

"Global warming" / "man made climate change" / OMG the freekin sky is falling" is just the latest, and may I say, the most ambitious iteration of leftist schemes to enslave mankind. To address this "crisis that threatens our very planet" human behavior needs to be seriously regulated by a global "administration", the West needs to be economically punished for their greed and waste. I know, this sounds a lot like marxism.

A critical mind would note that we live on a rock surrounded by an atmosphere of gasses. This "environment" has weathered eons of upheaval, meteors, sun spots, solar storms and all manner of cataclysmic stuff that should convince us that the "environment" is anything but "fragile". Its really a very impressive design. Did I say that?

I'm going out on a limb here with an attendant theory to my original. Short of all out nuclear war, man has not the capacity to alter climate. We're only that consequential in our own arrogant minds. And even if such a war were to occur, we would be the casualty. The planet would cleanse itself and go on. Life would again "appear" and flourish.

But back to the thread. The folks selling "global warming" / "man made climate change" / OMG the freekin sky is falling" have been discovered. The "inner sanctum" has been breached. The imperial wizard has been revealed to be the bumbling academician he is. The "critical data" that supports the theory "has gone missing". The "data" that remains doesn't support the theory. Oh, and yes, a clear majority of scientists advance data that says otherwise. The "science" behind your theory would seem to be mere monkey twaddle.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #22
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Simple put....

Always doubt the "results" from scientists whose paychecks depend on a predetermined outcome.

OR

who have invested heavily in stocks/businesses predicated on a predetermined outcome.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #23
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
GBMelBlount

....more proof that educated derelicts are a dime a dozen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
...and internet message board savants are one in a million (or so they think).
Sorry Tony, did I strike a nerve?

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 02-17-2010 at 09:11 AM.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #24
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:

Economic interests are deciding this debate.
Perfectly stated.

~ 3 Doors Down

Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #25
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
The global warming alarmists back fit the data to say whatever they need it to.
Bingo.

~ 3 Doors Down

Old 02-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #26
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused

Quote:
Economic interests are deciding this debate. Why is there no vocal anti-String Theory lobby? We're "wasting" our money (billions of dollars, actually) on a theory which we can already see is far off the mark, and which either contradicts scripture directly, or at a minimum is mentioned nowhere in the Bible. So where are the protesters?

It's simple: String Theory isn't a politically useful touchstone issue. It's neither culturally divisive, nor does it impact the bottom line of the fossil-fuel industries.
in one of my earlier posts, i tried to cover, to a degree this part of the issue. Meaning, why there is such resistance to this theory. and, in my opinion, justly so (at least for the time being). i didnt cover it quite so eloquently, but i hope the gist got through. but, ric, you added to some of the points i tried to make. a bit clearer, actually.
urgle burgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #27
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused

Quote:
...and internet message board savants are one in a million (or so they think).
i can type cat on here, sometimes, if you spot me the c and the t. does that count?
urgle burgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,203 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Tony it wasn't that long ago ( geologically speaking) that the Sahara was lush with vegetation and the Medeterranian sea was a dessert.

I'm not denying that some degree of climate change is occuring all over the world. I'm just pointing out that it was happening long before modern man was leaving his "carbon imprint" on the soil.
funny you should mention...

here in the high deserts of new mexico, hundereds of miles away from the nearest ocean, i can take a 15 minute hike out my front door to about 4000 ft above sea level, and find fossils of coral reefs and seashells, and many other forms of old aquatic lifeforms.

God put them here about 5000 years ago so people like me can enjoy the beach, too.

oddly enough, i can drive an hour or 2 and find huge beds of dinosaur fossils. who woulda ever guessed that dinosaurs lived in the ocean.

indeed, its a strange world we live in.

im sure there are those who believe man is incapable of affecting the worlds climate in the slightest.

even with all the nukes in the world. after all, the earth and "mother nature" is much bigger than us.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #29
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
funny you should mention...

here in the high deserts of new mexico, hundereds of miles away from the nearest ocean, i can take a 15 minute hike out my front door to about 4000 ft above sea level, and find fossils of coral reefs and seashells, and many other forms of old aquatic lifeforms.

God put them here about 5000 years ago so people like me can enjoy the beach, too.

oddly enough, i can drive an hour or 2 and find huge beds of dinosaur fossils. who woulda ever guessed that dinosaurs lived in the ocean.

indeed, its a strange world we live in.

im sure there are those who believe man is incapable of affecting the worlds climate in the slightest.

Don't include me in that number Tony. While I think the adverse effects of man produced carbon emmisions are greatly overstated, misenterpreted, and or misunderstood, I don't for a second dismiss the potential devastation that a nuclear shooting match could create to the worlds eco system.

That's one of the major reasons I disagree strongly with those that think we should just ignore the goings on in the Middle East as if it wouldn't effect us. Left to their own devices I fear that Arab and Muslim states would provoke a nuclear responce from Israel that would dwarf any prior event in human history.

even with all the nukes in the world. after all, the earth and "mother nature" is much bigger than us.
I fear nukes, but yes in the end no matter what course man follows when mother earth or the universe decide our times up that will be end of us. Perhaps we'll go down by a catostrophic asteriod strike like the dino's did?. Maybe it will be a series of super vocano's? Maybe the moon gets taken out by an asteriod and that does life as we know it in? Maybe some sort of freakish solar storm? Black hole? Who knows? But what i do know is that man just as every other thing in this universe is a finite being. We're not here for ever. Though we should strive to hang on as long as we can just the same.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #30
7SteelGal43
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12283

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
I was pretty sure all it would take to turn the climate change song and dance around would be an extremely cold and harsh winter...being that an extremely scorching hot summer is what brought all this hoopla to the forefront.

There's too many people though who will pay no attention to this though. Many have literally become addicted to the green movement and the eco guilt trips that come with it.
Sad but true.

sig by steelax04

Last edited by 7SteelGal43; 02-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.
7SteelGal43 is offline   Reply With Quote