Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,162 Times in 610 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed
Default Starting lineup next year you think we'll have, or want...

Anyone who thinks the lineup is gonna be plugged full of new free agents or draft picks next year doesn't know how the Steelers operate. So let's see what you think the starting lineup on day 1 will be. Here's mine:

C-Hartiwig (I would love an upgrade here, but don't see that as a possibility)
LG- Kemo (I'm okay with that)
RG-Urbik (He showed great feet in camp, but just needed to muscle up)
LT-Starks (Meh, even if we draft a first rounder as an eventual replacement, Starks is the guy this year)
RT-Colon (I really think Colon is one of the best RT's in the NFL)
TE-Heat
RB-Mendy (Rookie to work into the rotation eventually. Someone who can knock people back on a 3rd and 1)
FB-Johnson (I thought he did okay for a rookie)
WR-Holmes (Better extend his contract)
WR-Ward
WR-Wallace (lot more playing time this year)
K-Reed (I'm not one of those who wants someone new here, but if we go with Czech, I wouldn't freak out like some would)

NT-Hampton (No doubt in my mind we'll either re-sign him or tag him)
DE-Smith (Good to have him back)
DE-Hood (IMO, he'll beat out Keisel who will get plenty of reps as the primary backup)
OLB-Harrison
OLB-Woodley
ILB-Timmons
ILB-Farrior (I'd like them to use one of the first 2 picks for the eventual successor here)
CB-Ike
CB-Gay (It'll be a battle, but I think he'll hold off Burnett and Lewis)
S-Troy (Welcome back your majesty)
S-Clark (He wants to be back, and in the end we won't be able to find anyone better for now, but we'll draft a safety in the first 3 rounds as the eventual successor)
P-Sepulveda (It might be tempting to let him go because of the money we'd have to pay him, but the FO will chicken out at the last second and keep what they have instead of going for the unknown)

So, my vision of what our starters will be next year has a whopping 1 new starter. Maybe one of the young corners beats out Gay, but from what I saw last year in camp, I'm not betting on it. Thing is, with that lineup, if Troy and Aaron stay healthy and we can work in some rookies at RB, OL, DB, and LB, I think that team can go anywhere between the 9-7 from last year to 14-2, and could definitely make noise in the playoffs.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774
Default Re: Starting lineup next year you think we'll have, or want...

Quote:
Anyone who thinks the lineup is gonna be plugged full of new free agents or draft picks next year doesn't know how the Steelers operate. So let's see what you think the starting lineup on day 1 will be. Here's mine:
That's absolutely true my friend, the Steelers go by the textbook and draft a team, if you know what I mean. I agree that Hartwig isn't doing his job that well and we do need an upgrade. The thing for Kemoeatu is that LG isn't his natural position, RG is. Other than that, offensively were stacked. Ben, Hines, Heath, etc. Defensively well we're struggling. There starting to show age, James still has it and Woodley is great so OLBs are packed tight. Timmons is getting better every year, but Farrior is getting older and drafting a MLB in this draft or next year will be a great move. Smith will be back healthy and Hood played great his first year so we'll see what happens in training camp. Ike Taylor is the best CB they have and Gay just doesn't cut it IMO. Troy will be back and drafting a another safety for the replacement of Clark. Earl Thomas would be good, if I correct he is a SS, but we could move him to FS.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,523 Posts

wouldn't you have saved yourself a lot of typing and just say the only change will be urbik in, essex out ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
That's absolutely true my friend, the Steelers go by the textbook and draft a team, if you know what I mean. I agree that Hartwig isn't doing his job that well and we do need an upgrade. The thing for Kemoeatu is that LG isn't his natural position, RG is. Other than that, offensively were stacked. Ben, Hines, Heath, etc. Defensively well we're struggling. There starting to show age, James still has it and Woodley is great so OLBs are packed tight. Timmons is getting better every year, but Farrior is getting older and drafting a MLB in this draft or next year will be a great move. Smith will be back healthy and Hood played great his first year so we'll see what happens in training camp. Ike Taylor is the best CB they have and Gay just doesn't cut it IMO. Troy will be back and drafting a another safety for the replacement of Clark. Earl Thomas would be good, if I correct he is a SS, but we could move him to FS.
James still has it ? Did you watch the games last year? He is a 2 down linebaker at best.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

I did watch the games. He must remember that he is such a target, teams will do anything so he doesn't make a play. He is also held so much as well, which is never called. Lebeau also didn't blitz him as much last year as he has before and even admitted to calling more conservative plays on defense when Troy got hurt.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

So basically ... we'll have the same exact team except for RG?

Don't get me wrong; that's probably not too far from the truth. Although I also wouldn't be surprised to see:

- Legursky at RG (or as a longshot, at C)
- Summers at FB or backup "bruiser" HB
- DL becoming more of a true rotation, with Hood and Harris getting on the field about a third of the time
- Gay beaten out by Burnett
- Reed being shown the door for Czech or that guy from Michigan State
Old 02-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post

LT-Starks (Meh, even if we draft a first rounder as an eventual replacement, Starks is the guy this year)
TE-Heat
RB-Mendy (Rookie to work into the rotation eventually. Someone who can knock people back on a 3rd and 1)
WR-Ward
K-Reed (I'm not one of those who wants someone new here, but if we go with Czech, I wouldn't freak out like some would)

DE-Hood (IMO, he'll beat out Keisel who will get plenty of reps as the primary backup)
OLB-Harrison
OLB-Woodley
ILB-Timmons
ILB-Farrior (I'd like them to use one of the first 2 picks for the eventual successor here)
CB-Ike
S-Clark (He wants to be back, and in the end we won't be able to find anyone better for now, but we'll draft a safety in the first 3 rounds as the eventual successor)
P-Sepulveda (It might be tempting to let him go because of the money we'd have to pay him, but the FO will chicken out at the last second and keep what they have instead of going for the unknown)

So, my vision of what our starters will be next year has a whopping 1 new starter. Maybe one of the young corners beats out Gay, but from what I saw last year in camp, I'm not betting on it. Thing is, with that lineup, if Troy and Aaron stay healthy and we can work in some rookies at RB, OL, DB, and LB, I think that team can go anywhere between the 9-7 from last year to 14-2, and could definitely make noise in the playoffs.
Quote:
MasterOfPuppets

Awouldn't you have saved yourself a lot of typing and just say the only change will be urbik in, essex out ?

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

IMO, people are jumping the gun on Ziggy. While I thought he had a fine rookie season by making a contribution on defense, which is very hard to do as a rookie in a LeBeau defense, he had one sack and 8 tackles all season. I think that was fine for a rookie, but I don't think it proves you are good enough to beat out a long-term starter. I believe Ziggy will play a great deal next season, as a replacement, and as the inevitable injuries occur. I just don't see the inevitability of his starting role by the beginning of the season.

As for Urbik, I hope the kid does step up to start because I thought Essex did a fine job as a tackle playing guard, but I don't think the ceiling is that high for him at guard. Let's not forget that Urbik not only has to beat out Essex, but also probably Foster (who also has a chance to start).

Finally, it is possible Gay will start again, but I am hoping one of the kids can beat him out.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post

TE-Heat
WR-Ward

OLB-Harrison
OLB-Woodley
ILB-Timmons
CB-Ike

I agree with you on most of this...

1. I think Reed is more valuable than you do.
2. I do think Farrior is on his way out, but I was impressed with Fox.
3. I think Lewis will be the one to push Gay.
4. I don't think Urbrik cracks line-up this year, the only reason he was not cut was where he was drafted.
5. I wouldn't be shocked if our first round pick starts before week 8. I am hoping it is a CB, but could be a OL too. A RT in the first and then move Colon to RG sounds nice, but we need a good CB to get this defense back to where it needs to be.
6. I have a feeling we won't sign Clark, we will get a FA to hold us till who ever we draft is ready.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

I really doubt Hood knocks Keisel out of the starting lineup. Keisel has had his best 2 seasons by far the last two years, and he is just an immensely consistent force. We did sign Keisel to a 5 year contract (4 years left) for a reason......I believe Keisel and Hood are the future at DE right now. Keisel is 30 years old if i recall correctly, still got plenty of gas left, especially since he hasnt played as much as you would think in the NFL
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote