Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #121
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,486 Posts
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

A couple of things. First, taking off the helmet(with visor) is the noble thing to do and honorable by the game. If you are gonna fight, dont hide behind the visor.

Second, its tough to blame Khabibulin for the goals he got pelted with by the Canadians. Maybe 2 of the 8 he had a shot at, but for the most part, they had over 20 shots on him in the 1st period and his defense were road pylons.

Gonna be interesting today. Should be all over the aged and "experienced" Finns, but Kipprusoff was standing on his head against the Czech's.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #122
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Fighting.

I get that it's needed to police the players but it still makes me cringe. Taking off the helmets of those who have visors during a fight is more dangerous though because they sometimes fall when pounding each other and come dangerously close to cracking their noggins wide open on the ice.

I guess me loving the fact that the women wear full face protection wouldn't fly either?
Yes, fighting. I really don't understand why some people hate it so much. More players are injured each year from body checks than from fighting, and it's not even close. Look at that Slovakian player against Norway who got hit so hard his helmet flew off and he banged his unprotected head off the ice, leaving it in a pool of blood. There was another NHL player who just received a 5-game suspension for checking another player in the head, giving him a concussion. I don't see anyone calling for hitting to be banned, do you? But yet, all I hear is how fighting is so dangerous, even though far, FAR fewer players have been seriously injured in a fight compared to body checks or even just fighting for a puck in the corner. Now the Ontario Hockey League requires its players to keep their helmets and visors on when they fight (the so-called Don Sanderson rule - the kid who died from hitting his head on the ice during a fight), but we're talking about 17-18-19 year old kids, so I can sorta understand that. But if you're in the NHL and you have a visor on, do the honorable thing and take it off when you fight.

Quote:
Milbury is catching alot of heat for that comment, not sure he cares though.

I just wish he and Roenick would get back to annoying each other to the point that when watching you'd think they'd start hitting each other, like it was in the beginning.
He's right though. Europeans historically do not play a gritty and tough enough style to win when they play against physical teams like Canada or the USA. It's the way they were brought up to play the game. Why do you think it took until 2008 before the first European captain won the Stanley Cup, and Geno was the first Russian to win the Conn Smythe Trophy?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #123
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
A couple of things. First, taking off the helmet(with visor) is the noble thing to do and honorable by the game. If you are gonna fight, dont hide behind the visor.

Second, its tough to blame Khabibulin for the goals he got pelted with by the Canadians. Maybe 2 of the 8 he had a shot at, but for the most part, they had over 20 shots on him in the 1st period and his defense were road pylons.

Gonna be interesting today. Should be all over the aged and "experienced" Finns, but Kipprusoff was standing on his head against the Czech's.

Agreed on all points (except it was Nabokov in goal...who is usually very, very capable in the net). The Russian defense played an absolutely horrid game IMO. I'm glad caveman isn't getting a medal, but I feel especially bad for Nabokov...he always puts on a good show in San Jose and deserved more than what his team gave him.

Can't wait until 3! Hopefully the strong US defense can hold off Koivu and Selanne and it's probably going to take a bit of luck to get more than 2 past Kipprusoff...but I think they can get it done. The Finns had kind of an easy time with the Czechs considering that Jagr was pretty banged up going into the game and didn't play as much as he normally does, and he was given a line that isn't heavy on scoring.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #124
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,486 Posts

My bad mom.....Nabokov, Khabibulin, Jakinoff, Upyourski.......I am not good with Russian names.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #125
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
My bad mom.....Nabokov, Khabibulin, Jakinoff, Upyourski.......I am not good with Russian names.

LOL....Upyourski.

I would have liked to have seen Khabibulin as a back up to Nabokov though, he's pretty good in his own right.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #126
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
LOL....Upyourski.

I would have liked to have seen Khabibulin as a back up to Nabokov though, he's pretty good in his own right.
He is injured and out for the season, otherwise he'd have been one of the goalies. His backup, Ilya Bryzgalov, isn't exactly chopped liver in his own right - he's been very good for the Coyotes this season.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #127
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

USA on fire so far. 2 -0. They are flying around the ice. Another PP. It seems our young-guns have showed more composure than the veteran finish team.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #128
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Goooooooooaaaaaaaal 3- 0. Wow, the fins are looked completely outgunned. Time for a goalie change for Finland probably.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #129
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

4 - 0

Kippersoff just pulled himself from the game. I have never seen that before.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #130
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

6-0 lead for the USA after 1.

Canucks fans everywhere are laughing at the guy they call "Kiprusuck"