Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #131
SteelCityMom

Member Number:
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
He is injured and out for the season, otherwise he'd have been one of the goalies. His backup, Ilya Bryzgalov, isn't exactly chopped liver in his own right - he's been very good for the Coyotes this season.

Ahhh ok...that makes sense then. Probably wouldn't have mattered too much anyway since the Russian defense decided to take a nap for most of the game lol.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #132
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

One more period and we have the perfect match-up of USA and Canada battling it out for the gold.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #133
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Wow, the Slovaks really took it to the Canadians at the end there! I wouldn't be surprised to see them take the bronze. Even though I dislike Hossa, that team has worked really hard.

I'm not sure the Canadians are going to be able to hold off the US...they are on fire. Can't wait for Sunday though!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #134
Shea
Head Coach

Sunday is gonna be fun!

Quote:
Yes, fighting. I really don't understand why some people hate it so much. More players are injured each year from body checks than from fighting, and it's not even close. Look at that Slovakian player against Norway who got hit so hard his helmet flew off and he banged his unprotected head off the ice, leaving it in a pool of blood. There was another NHL player who just received a 5-game suspension for checking another player in the head, giving him a concussion. I don't see anyone calling for hitting to be banned, do you? But yet, all I hear is how fighting is so dangerous, even though far, FAR fewer players have been seriously injured in a fight compared to body checks or even just fighting for a puck in the corner. Now the Ontario Hockey League requires its players to keep their helmets and visors on when they fight (the so-called Don Sanderson rule - the kid who died from hitting his head on the ice during a fight), but we're talking about 17-18-19 year old kids, so I can sorta understand that. But if you're in the NHL and you have a visor on, do the honorable thing and take it off when you fight.
I completely get your point of view on this issue and you'll get no argument from me.

It's just hard for me to sometimes watch people hitting each other, yet hypocritically I love seeing when a Pens' player kicks ass during a fight. I'm up and cheering loudly and loving when that happens. What does that say about me?

I'm more on the fence when it comes to the issue of banning fighting, then flat-out wanting it gone.

It also seems more often then not, that when I'm watching a game, that a little boy, who is my nephew that spends quite a bit of time with me, is often in the room and instantly catches on when a fight occurs and I don't like that and the questions that it brings.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #135
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Wow, the Slovaks really took it to the Canadians at the end there! I wouldn't be surprised to see them take the bronze. Even though I dislike Hossa, that team has worked really hard.

I'm not sure the Canadians are going to be able to hold off the US...they are on fire. Can't wait for Sunday though!
No matter what happens, I'll be so proud of our boys. No one - not even I - gave them a chance when the Olympics began, and here they are playing for the gold. It should be a great game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
I completely get your point of view on this issue and you'll get no argument from me.

It's just hard for me to sometimes watch people hitting each other, yet hypocritically I love seeing when a Pens' player kicks ass during a fight. I'm up and cheering loudly and loving when that happens. What does that say about me?

I'm more on the fence when it comes to the issue of banning fighting, then flat-out wanting it gone.

It also seems more often then not, that when I'm watching a game, that a little boy, who is my nephew that spends quite a bit of time with me, is often in the room and instantly catches on when a fight occurs and I don't like that and the questions that it brings.
Ask yourself this - would you rather have the little boy ask questions about why 2 guys are fighting in a hockey game, or ask about why kids are killing other kids in school, or about an "adult situation" he saw on TV? I think that is a no-brainer.

Seriously, with so much more stuff going on in the world and with so much questionable material available to kids on TV, in video games or on the internet...is 2 guys fighting on a sheet of ice REALLY that bad?

And it's obvious that you enjoy fighting as entertainment, otherwise you wouldn't stand and cheer even when it's a Penguin doing it. Other than the reasons why it's needed in the game, that's the biggest reason why I like the fights - because it's entertaining to watch.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #136
Shea
Head Coach

Quote:
Ask yourself this - would you rather have the little boy ask questions about why 2 guys are fighting in a hockey game, or ask about why kids are killing other kids in school, or about an "adult situation" he saw on TV? I think that is a no-brainer.

Seriously, with so much more stuff going on in the world and with so much questionable material available to kids on TV, in video games or on the internet...is 2 guys fighting on a sheet of ice REALLY that bad?
Well, bringing into this simple little hockey thread about the Olympics has turned into a broader matter beyond fighting in the hockey world, and somehow has brought about other troubling matters within this world.

One matter at a time, and I believe this a hockey thread, right? I just don't like how a little boy is sometimes transfixed and instantly tuned into the television during a fight!

I don't like any of the crap the world always seems to offer up, but this situation of fighting has come up more than once and his questions and reactions bother me.

The rest of what happens in this world is to be dealt with seperately when it comes up and occurs. This is a hockey thread, therefore that's a subject that I'm referring to and other issues within our world shouldn't be brought up here.

I love him - don't like his confusion and fascination when seeing a fight. Get that?

Quote:
And it's obvious that you enjoy fighting as entertainment, otherwise you wouldn't stand and cheer even when it's a Penguin doing it. Other than the reasons why it's needed in the game, that's the biggest reason why I like the fights - because it's entertaining to watch.
Like I stated above - yes sometimes I like it. And like I also stated, I'm conflicted on this subject. I also stated that I'm on the fence on this whole issue.

I'm just trying to simply state that I don't like seeing people hit each other, nor for seeing a child seeing the same and being conflicted because we always have told him that hitting is unacceptable.

Last edited by Shea; 02-27-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #137
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,072 Times in 1,298 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I can't wait hopefully USA will bring home the Gold. Keep playing the way they are and it should be no problem.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #138
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Well, bringing into this simple little hockey thread about the Olympics has turned into a broader matter beyond fighting in the hockey world, and somehow has brought about other troubling matters within this world.

One matter at a time, and I believe this a hockey thread, right? I just don't like how a little boy is sometimes transfixed and instantly tuned into the television during a fight!

I don't like any of the crap the world always seems to offer up, but this situation of fighting has come up more than once and his questions and reactions bother me.

The rest of what happens in this world is to be dealt with seperately when it comes up and occurs. This is a hockey thread, therefore that's a subject that I'm referring to and other issues within our world shouldn't be brought up here.

I love him - don't like his confusion and fascination when seeing a fight. Get that?

Like I stated above - yes sometimes I like it. And like I also stated, I'm conflicted on this subject. I also stated that I'm on the fence on this whole issue.

I'm just trying to simply state that I don't like seeing people hit each other, nor for seeing a child seeing the same and being conflicted because we always have told him that hitting is unacceptable.
OK, fine. By your tone I see I've touched a nerve here and I'm not going to discuss this any further. I could answer this post, but you wouldn't like what I have to say and eventually the conversation would get much more heated. It's happened every time I've had this discussion with others who are anti-fighting. I've made my feelings known, so that's that.

Let's move on.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #139
SMR
Starter

Member Number: 2111

I'm having a real hard time trying to find the RIGHT channel that will broadcast the entire USA vs Canada gold game - without the annoying mix of other events in between. Anyone know? Is this gonna happen?

SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #140
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR View Post
I'm having a real hard time trying to find the RIGHT channel that will broadcast the entire USA vs Canada gold game - without the annoying mix of other events in between. Anyone know? Is this gonna happen?
It's on NBC tomorrow at 3:00, and it will be shown in its entirety.