Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #181
7SteelGal43
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12283
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesburgh66 View Post
Well for us Canadians, we wouldn't be good hosts if we didn't get out the silverware for their guests. But we wanted to keep more of the gold.

sig by steelax04
7SteelGal43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #182
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Well for us Canadians, we wouldn't be good hosts if we didn't get out the silverware for their guests. But we wanted to keep more of the gold.
14 gold medals is damn impressive, I admit, but winning 37 total medals is nothing to dismiss off-hand. And within those 37 medals are several that the US won for the very first time, and another that we hadn't won a medal in over 60 years. We would have had several more had Apolo Ohno not been DQed in the 500m and had Lindsey Vonn brought her A game to the slopes, rather than crashing in 3 of 5 races. Overall, it was a very, very successful Winter Games for the USA.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #183
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

I am not going dismiss the USA total medal count. I didn't expect them to medal this high. But at the end of the day, silver and bronze are just medals for not finishing first.

As for Vonn, man you Americans are really tough on her. Isn't winning two medals enough? I think you have been spoiled by Phelps and Lewis performances in the past, expecting to clean house. The ski courses up in Whistler were tough for all the skiers, mostly due to the weather. So her DQs are not a surprise. But I will be glad to never hear this drama queen's name ever again.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #184
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
I am not going dismiss the USA total medal count. I didn't expect them to medal this high. But at the end of the day, silver and bronze are just medals for not finishing first.

As for Vonn, man you Americans are really tough on her. Isn't winning two medals enough? I think you have been spoiled by Phelps and Lewis performances in the past, expecting to clean house. The ski courses up in Whistler were tough for all the skiers, mostly due to the weather. So her DQs are not a surprise. But I will be glad to never hear this drama queen's name ever again.
i didnt think anyone was dismissing usa's total medal count. i think the 37 was just thrown in the face of a few proud canadian steelerfans we have on this board. but you are right. a wise man once said "if you aint first, youre last".

bragging about bronze is akin to steelerfans bragging about the afcc games they lost in the past 20 years (granted im proud to get there, but to not even come away with the l. hunt trophy sucks).

apollo ono was lucky to come away with his silver, and vonn admitted she was happy with her single gold. it was a great feat for USA to even take the canadians into OT in hockey.

the US got what they deserved, and canada got what they earned. i was happy to root for the northern neighbors (and especially crosby and the old bear) if the americans werent gonna win it.

oh, and vonn is really hot, which means she should win more. right now, i think she mailed it in and almost choked, but when things are put into perspective, she won what she was supposed to win at. its not like the lugers are also skiing, doing the bobsled, and the skeleton.

props to her even entering so many events (same with yoko ono).
Old 03-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #185
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Not to start a argument. The Olympics were wonderful. Further, Canada had a great Olympics. Congradulations for a job well done.

However, the Canadian Olympic committee set the goal with their "own the podium" program (and through it out there for everyone to hear), to win the most medals. It would be hypocritical now to say that winning the most golds is all that matters.

The point is every country should measure their success by their own standards. Some countries (the majority) measure success by gold medals. A few measure success by total medals (USA, Canada until today probably). Geez, in an article the other day the the British Olympic committee was quoted as setting a goal of top of top 5 finishes. There is no wrong answer. The IOC has no official listing of who "won" the Olympics.

I enjoyed the games this year and look forward to London.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #186
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i didnt think anyone was dismissing usa's total medal count. i think the 37 was just thrown in the face of a few proud canadian steelerfans we have on this board. but you are right. a wise man once said "if you aint first, youre last".

bragging about bronze is akin to steelerfans bragging about the afcc games they lost in the past 20 years (granted im proud to get there, but to not even come away with the l. hunt trophy sucks).

apollo ono was lucky to come away with his silver, and vonn admitted she was happy with her single gold. it was a great feat for USA to even take the canadians into OT in hockey.

the US got what they deserved, and canada got what they earned. i was happy to root for the northern neighbors (and especially crosby and the old bear) if the americans werent gonna win it.

oh, and vonn is really hot, which means she should win more. right now, i think she mailed it in and almost choked, but when things are put into perspective, she won what she was supposed to win at. its not like the lugers are also skiing, doing the bobsled, and the skeleton.

props to her even entering so many events (same with yoko ono).
I am not sure that analogy holds up to me. These are mostly individual athletes competing against sometimes hundreds of other athletes to get on that podium. They may have one chance in their life to compete at the Olympics. Sure there are some that are back a few more times. Still, that makes a bronze medal worth more than a Conference championship win or loss, imo.

The USA measures total medals because the USOC has stated depth and competitiveness across a broad range of sports as a goal. Don't see what is wrong with that.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #187
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
However, the Canadian Olympic committee set the goal with their "own the podium" program (and through it out there for everyone to hear), to win the most medals. It would be hypocritical now to say that winning the most golds is all that matters.
The podiums were built in Canada. So yes, we owned them. lol But seriously, what do you want Canada to say? Let's not own the podium. Let's finish last and say sorry to everybody that tramples us in winter events.

The whole goal of Own the Podium, which was started three years ago, was to get corporate sponsors and the government to help out for once to fund our athletes so they can do there best in Vancouver. So yes, the end goal was to get the most amount medals possible, since the games were on our soil. So why not set goals high?

Although Canada did not met COC medal goals, I would say that the Own the Podium is a success and a positive experience. Not because of the record gold haul and getting a new record for total medals, but for the new level of Canadian patriotism generated that has swepted across the nation. I have never expereince this before, even on Canada day. Hopefully, this will get today's fat and lazy generation of kids motivated to play sports and be inspired to be future athletes.

So if London wants to place top 5 in 2012, then go for it. Russia is going to their best for 2014 as the Vancouver 2010 games had to have been a huge disappointment for them.

I am already having Olympic withdrawl.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #188
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Quote:
The podiums were built in Canada. So yes, we owned them. lol But seriously, what do you want Canada to say? Let's not own the podium. Let's finish last and say sorry to everybody that tramples us in winter events.

The whole goal of Own the Podium, which was started three years ago, was to get corporate sponsors and the government to help out for once to fund our athletes so they can do there best in Vancouver. So yes, the end goal was to get the most amount medals possible, since the games were on our soil. So why not set goals high?

Although Canada did not met COC medal goals, I would say that the Own the Podium is a success and a positive experience. Not because of the record gold haul and getting a new record for total medals, but for the new level of Canadian patriotism generated that has swepted across the nation. I have never expereince this before, even on Canada day. Hopefully, this will get today's fat and lazy generation of kids motivated to play sports and be inspired to be future athletes.

So if London wants to place top 5 in 2012, then go for it. Russia is going to their best for 2014 as the Vancouver 2010 games had to have been a huge disappointment for them.

I am already having Olympic withdrawl.
Agreed... I have no problem (as if it is my business) with the own the podium program. Every country wants to do well, particularly when the games are held in their own country. I was just pointing out that when you set a goal for most medals and don't reach it, it would be hypocritical to downplay the US winning the most medals, even though the 14 golds is an amazing accomplishment by Canada. I find it not a bit surprising that after the COC came out and stated that they wouldn't meet the goal of winning the most medals, Canadian athletes started to mine gold like an 1849er. Seems the COC may have added too much pressure and then relieved it for some Canadian athletes.

The Brits will do fine in London. They are not bad in the summer games. Also, I would expect Putin to spend millions and millions on the Russian Winter Olympic Program.

As for the USA, it seems to me we will have to reload. We won a lot of Medals because we had a lot of athletes that had been there done that. In Sochi, we will probably be without Shaun White, Bode, maybe Lindsey Vaughn, and more than a few others who had had previous Olympic experience.

P.S. Now go have fun celebrating a wonderful Olympics Canada. However, we want Sid back tomorrow.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 03-01-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #189
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm extremely proud of our hockey team and the accomplishments they made. They had Team Canada shittin' their pants when they scored the tying goal in the waning seconds of the last period to force the game into OT. This was a group of guys who weren't even supposed to medal, much less make it into the Gold Medal game.

Now you Canadians can go back to hatin' on Sid when the Pens play your teams.

You're welcome for us letting you borrow him for a few weeks - now he's back to being OURS.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #190
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Great game - great game for hockey.

Nice gold medal story for Canada and all but, now, back to real hockey...Let's Go Pens!
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote