Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #191
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Agreed... I have no problem (as if it is my business) with the own the podium program. Every country wants to do well, particularly when the games are held in their own country. I was just pointing out that when you set a goal for most medals and don't reach it, it would be hypocritical to downplay the US winning the most medals, even though the 14 golds is an amazing accomplishment by Canada. I find it not a bit surprising that after the COC came out and stated that they wouldn't meet the goal of winning the most medals, Canadian athletes started to mine gold like an 1849er. Seems the COC may have added too much pressure and then relieved it for some Canadian athletes.
If you asked me before the Winter Olympics, I would have said that winning any type of medal would have great for Canada. However, after hearing our anthem sung fourteen times for fourteen gold medal wins, I wouldn’t trade in those all those gold for all the silver and bronze out there. New sense of Canadian pride was born during the past 17 days, almost American like. From the singing of oh Canada, the sea of red etc., this will be the legacy of the Vancouver 2010 games for us. The pride was always there. Now it's our coming out party.

Yes, the pressure was there as the games were on home soil. There was at least 5 events were Canadians were favoured but didn’t get the gold (women’s curling, women’s skeleton, men’s 1000 m short track, men’s 2-man bobsled and men’s ski cross). In four of those events, Canadian athletes failed to get a medal. So expectations by the COC were realistic. What was also expected that Canada would do well toward the end of the games, which also came to fruition. The biggest pressure was on the men’s hockey team. They were playing for our game, our pride as a nation. Hockey isn’t treated a joke in our country. It was gold or bust for them, including the ladies.

This four minute video essay sums it how most of us Canadians feel today:
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/inde...e-46c9493947e9

If Vonn reacted the same way that Hollingsworth reacted (47 seconds into the video), maybe you guys would have been less hard on her. She was favoured to win gold for women’s skeleton but one mistake cost her. She didn’t let Canada down. We are proud that she represented us.

And London better do well in 2012 as there will be Canadian media ready to return the negative press they gave us at the start of the games. Asses.

The biggest let down after watching this great hockey is have to go back to watching the Maple Leafs. I will still root the Penguins to win it this year. Don't worry, Sid will be coming back. None of men's team Canada players were around for the closing ceremonies.

Gary Buttman better use the Olympics to start promoting some of the game younger talent in the States.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #192
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I'm extremely proud of our hockey team and the accomplishments they made. They had Team Canada shittin' their pants when they scored the tying goal in the waning seconds of the last period to force the game into OT. This was a group of guys who weren't even supposed to medal, much less make it into the Gold Medal game.
I think a lot of people tend to forget that point, HTG! They were pretty much an afterthought...that is until the first round game when they beat Canada. They set off widespread panic among our northern neighbors.

Again, it was a heartbreaker to watch our boys in the red, white, and blue come so close only to fall short. But d*** it was an exciting game to watch. Congrats to Sid for being the hero that got your country the gold....now get your butt back down to Pittsburgh and get the Pens in the playoffs!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #193
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Loved watching the games this year

Enough has already been said about the Gold count vs the total count-----I think that both arguments are valid

As for hockey
for me, the ONLY acceptable way for the USA to lose was for Sid the Kid to beat us. I was hoping that he didn't---but if we were gonna lose, that would be the only way acceptable for me
He is the best player in the NHL. Period. And I think that he deserves a Ring and a (Gold) Medal.

sidenotes:
Miller played a hell of a series
didn't know Malone is from the Burgh
Old 03-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #194
7SteelGal43
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12283

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
I am not sure that analogy holds up to me. These are mostly individual athletes competing against sometimes hundreds of other athletes to get on that podium. They may have one chance in their life to compete at the Olympics. Sure there are some that are back a few more times. Still, that makes a bronze medal worth more than a Conference championship win or loss, imo.

Espcially considering in many cases 2 tenths of a second can be the only thing seperating GOLD and SILVER, or even GOLD and BRONZE.

sig by steelax04
7SteelGal43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #195
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

Nice gold medal story for Canada and all but, now, back to real hockey...Let's Go Pens!
Nice pic. As for the thought that the US should not have been there.....dont tell me you guys bought into that Ron Wilson and Brian Burke manufactured Underdog crap. Canada, Russia, USA are probably the top 3 teams in the world.

The Russians can score, but have weak defense. The US and Canada have a balance of both. It wasnt that surprising that it was a rematch of 2002.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #196
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Nice pic. As for the thought that the US should not have been there.....dont tell me you guys bought into that Ron Wilson and Brian Burke manufactured Underdog crap. Canada, Russia, USA are probably the top 3 teams in the world.

The Russians can score, but have weak defense. The US and Canada have a balance of both. It wasnt that surprising that it was a rematch of 2002.
The US did not have the talent that Russia, Canada and even Sweden had. They had one legit superstar in Ryan Miller, a lesser star in Zach Parise, and a bunch of lunch pail guys with some skill and speed. Hardly the type of talent the Canadians and Russians can put out there. The only chance they had going in was to do exactly what they ended up doing - play a solid team game and get world-class goaltending from Miller. Anything other than that, and they'd have been done after the quarterfinal round.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #197
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
The US did not have the talent that Russia, Canada and even Sweden had. They had one legit superstar in Ryan Miller, a lesser star in Zach Parise, and a bunch of lunch pail guys with some skill and speed. Hardly the type of talent the Canadians and Russians can put out there. The only chance they had going in was to do exactly what they ended up doing - play a solid team game and get world-class goaltending from Miller. Anything other than that, and they'd have been done after the quarterfinal round.
Maybe not equivalent talent as Russia or Canada, but the youth movement with guys like Kane, Stastny, Kessel, Kessler, Parise, Ryan, Johnson, Suter....along with some solid veteran leadership and great goaltending was gonna beat the old Finns, the soft Swedes.

I still maintain they were top 3 and you are right that Miller stood on his head. The whole "we are the underdog" theme that Wilson was preaching was about as credible as the Steelers wearing white jerseys in SBXL because they were the "road team". Still a great tournament and fun 2 weeks of olympics.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #198
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

the best thing is that crosby finished the tournament off.

one more world cup then he rightfully is a far more big time player than dirty ovechkin who tries to injure his own team mates
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #199
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
the best thing is that crosby finished the tournament off.

one more world cup then he rightfully is a far more big time player than dirty ovechkin who tries to injure his own team mates
Don't think Sid needs another World Cup to single him out as the best all-around player in the NHL right now. He's more than proven his salt.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #200
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Don't think Sid needs another World Cup to single him out as the best all-around player in the NHL right now. He's more than proven his salt.
I know but it would shut up the Caps for eternity.

That golden moment when he took the puck off Ovie and scored to make it 5-0 lol.... still trying to find it on utuube :(
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote