Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #41
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter
 
X-Terminator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,881
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
I'm excited about tomorrows match-ups.

Russia plays and then it will be the big game with USA against Canada.

I don't believe either will suffer due to a loss (I'm not quite sure how the Olympic system works) but it should be a fun and intense game.

Can't wait!
A loss by either team would hurt because 4 teams get an automatic berth into the quarterfinal (Pool A, B, C winners + 2nd place team with the best record), and they would be one of the remaining 8 teams who would have to play their way into the quarterfinal. So say the U.S. beats Canada...they would win Pool A and get a bye. Canada can still get a bye if they lose in OT AND if the Czech Republic beats Russia AND either Sweden or Finland wins in regulation. Same scenario is true if Canada beats the U.S.
__________________
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #42
Shea
Head Coach
 
Shea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,710
Gender: Female
Member Number: 5066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
A loss by either team would hurt because 4 teams get an automatic berth into the quarterfinal (Pool A, B, C winners + 2nd place team with the best record), and they would be one of the remaining 8 teams who would have to play their way into the quarterfinal. So say the U.S. beats Canada...they would win Pool A and get a bye. Canada can still get a bye if they lose in OT AND if the Czech Republic beats Russia AND either Sweden or Finland wins in regulation. Same scenario is true if Canada beats the U.S.
That helps alot and now I understand. Thanks XT.

Although, I might have to read that again a few more times in the next day or two.

Me ------>

Funny, when I was typing how I didn't know how it all worked out I knew you would know.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #43
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 7,435
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5713
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

WOOOO Malkin has two goals in the Russia Czech game and they have a 3 to 1 lead with with 13:00 left!!!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #44
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,878
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,156
Thanked 9,555 Times in 3,980 Posts
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
WOOOO Malkin has two goals in the Russia Czech game and they have a 3 to 1 lead with with 13:00 left!!!
see... its still 1-1 in the 2nd here in MST.

are you getting the canada/usa game on nbc later? if so what time (in EST). all my direct tv listings say it will be nothing but skiing and ice skating in prime time.
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #45
OneForTheToe
Living Legend
 
OneForTheToe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Steeler Nation
Posts: 3,360
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
see... its still 1-1 in the 2nd here in MST.

are you getting the canada/usa game on nbc later? if so what time (in EST). all my direct tv listings say it will be nothing but skiing and ice skating in prime time.
It is on MSNBC at 7:00
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #46
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter
 
X-Terminator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,881
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
It is on MSNBC at 7:00
7:40, actually. I'm pissed though, because I do not get MSNBC in HD - thanks Comcrap!

Nice to see Geno upstage Captain Ug with those 2 goals, including the game-winner. What's weird though is seeing Aleksey Morozov, who was a major bust with the Pens, with the C on his chest. The guy clearly had talent, but didn't do much of anything. He goes to Russia, and he's now a superstar. Go figure.

Russia's win makes the USA-Canada game that much more important. Canada pretty much is in a must-win situation, while USA just has to get a point to have a shot at a bye.
__________________
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #47
SteelCityMom
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Member Number:
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

I guess it depends on your cable provider cause it's on at 7pm on MSNBC for me as well.

Even though he let 3 past, Vokoun is such a beast in goal, as is Nabokov (sp?). They are definitely both teams to watch out for in the semi-finals, as are the Slovaks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #48
OneForTheToe
Living Legend
 
OneForTheToe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Steeler Nation
Posts: 3,360
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
I guess it depends on your cable provider cause it's on at 7pm on MSNBC for me as well.

Even though he let 3 past, Vokoun is such a beast in goal, as is Nabokov (sp?). They are definitely both teams to watch out for in the semi-finals, as are the Slovaks.

I think the coverage starts a 7:00. Who knows when they finally drop the puck.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #49
SteelCityMom
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Member Number:
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
7:40, actually. I'm pissed though, because I do not get MSNBC in HD - thanks Comcrap!

Nice to see Geno upstage Captain Ug with those 2 goals, including the game-winner. What's weird though is seeing Aleksey Morozov, who was a major bust with the Pens, with the C on his chest. The guy clearly had talent, but didn't do much of anything. He goes to Russia, and he's now a superstar. Go figure.

Russia's win makes the USA-Canada game that much more important. Canada pretty much is in a must-win situation, while USA just has to get a point to have a shot at a bye.
About Morozov...it could have just been the system he was playing under in Pittsburgh that kind of took away from his abilities. Edzo was the coach then, so it doesn't surprise me too much that he found more success elsewhere lol.

Was so happy to see Geno get 2 goals and an assist tonight. Ovi did have a very nice hit on Jagr though. As much as I hate the caveman, that put a bit of a smile on my face.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #50
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter
 
X-Terminator's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,881
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
About Morozov...it could have just been the system he was playing under in Pittsburgh that kind of took away from his abilities. Edzo was the coach then, so it doesn't surprise me too much that he found more success elsewhere lol.

Was so happy to see Geno get 2 goals and an assist tonight. Ovi did have a very nice hit on Jagr though. As much as I hate the caveman, that put a bit of a smile on my face.
Possibly, but he didn't do much under Ed Johnston/Craig Patrick either. It could have been the quality of talent he played with in his final years as well, which as we know was not very good. In Russia, he got to be THE guy, and his game has flourished - I think that's what he needed. He wants to come back to the NHL, but no team wants to pay him the $3-4 million per season that he's asked for.

The Canada-USA game, BTW, is at 7:45, according to NHL.com.
__________________
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts