Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #41
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Olympic hockey thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
I'm excited about tomorrows match-ups.

Russia plays and then it will be the big game with USA against Canada.

I don't believe either will suffer due to a loss (I'm not quite sure how the Olympic system works) but it should be a fun and intense game.

Can't wait!
A loss by either team would hurt because 4 teams get an automatic berth into the quarterfinal (Pool A, B, C winners + 2nd place team with the best record), and they would be one of the remaining 8 teams who would have to play their way into the quarterfinal. So say the U.S. beats Canada...they would win Pool A and get a bye. Canada can still get a bye if they lose in OT AND if the Czech Republic beats Russia AND either Sweden or Finland wins in regulation. Same scenario is true if Canada beats the U.S.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #42
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
A loss by either team would hurt because 4 teams get an automatic berth into the quarterfinal (Pool A, B, C winners + 2nd place team with the best record), and they would be one of the remaining 8 teams who would have to play their way into the quarterfinal. So say the U.S. beats Canada...they would win Pool A and get a bye. Canada can still get a bye if they lose in OT AND if the Czech Republic beats Russia AND either Sweden or Finland wins in regulation. Same scenario is true if Canada beats the U.S.
That helps alot and now I understand. Thanks XT.

Although, I might have to read that again a few more times in the next day or two.

Me ------>

Funny, when I was typing how I didn't know how it all worked out I knew you would know.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #43
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

WOOOO Malkin has two goals in the Russia Czech game and they have a 3 to 1 lead with with 13:00 left!!!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #44
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,555 Times in 3,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
WOOOO Malkin has two goals in the Russia Czech game and they have a 3 to 1 lead with with 13:00 left!!!
see... its still 1-1 in the 2nd here in MST.

are you getting the canada/usa game on nbc later? if so what time (in EST). all my direct tv listings say it will be nothing but skiing and ice skating in prime time.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #45
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
see... its still 1-1 in the 2nd here in MST.

are you getting the canada/usa game on nbc later? if so what time (in EST). all my direct tv listings say it will be nothing but skiing and ice skating in prime time.
It is on MSNBC at 7:00
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #46
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
It is on MSNBC at 7:00
7:40, actually. I'm pissed though, because I do not get MSNBC in HD - thanks Comcrap!

Nice to see Geno upstage Captain Ug with those 2 goals, including the game-winner. What's weird though is seeing Aleksey Morozov, who was a major bust with the Pens, with the C on his chest. The guy clearly had talent, but didn't do much of anything. He goes to Russia, and he's now a superstar. Go figure.

Russia's win makes the USA-Canada game that much more important. Canada pretty much is in a must-win situation, while USA just has to get a point to have a shot at a bye.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #47
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

I guess it depends on your cable provider cause it's on at 7pm on MSNBC for me as well.

Even though he let 3 past, Vokoun is such a beast in goal, as is Nabokov (sp?). They are definitely both teams to watch out for in the semi-finals, as are the Slovaks.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #48
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
I guess it depends on your cable provider cause it's on at 7pm on MSNBC for me as well.

Even though he let 3 past, Vokoun is such a beast in goal, as is Nabokov (sp?). They are definitely both teams to watch out for in the semi-finals, as are the Slovaks.

I think the coverage starts a 7:00. Who knows when they finally drop the puck.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #49
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
7:40, actually. I'm pissed though, because I do not get MSNBC in HD - thanks Comcrap!

Nice to see Geno upstage Captain Ug with those 2 goals, including the game-winner. What's weird though is seeing Aleksey Morozov, who was a major bust with the Pens, with the C on his chest. The guy clearly had talent, but didn't do much of anything. He goes to Russia, and he's now a superstar. Go figure.

Russia's win makes the USA-Canada game that much more important. Canada pretty much is in a must-win situation, while USA just has to get a point to have a shot at a bye.
About Morozov...it could have just been the system he was playing under in Pittsburgh that kind of took away from his abilities. Edzo was the coach then, so it doesn't surprise me too much that he found more success elsewhere lol.

Was so happy to see Geno get 2 goals and an assist tonight. Ovi did have a very nice hit on Jagr though. As much as I hate the caveman, that put a bit of a smile on my face.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #50
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
About Morozov...it could have just been the system he was playing under in Pittsburgh that kind of took away from his abilities. Edzo was the coach then, so it doesn't surprise me too much that he found more success elsewhere lol.

Was so happy to see Geno get 2 goals and an assist tonight. Ovi did have a very nice hit on Jagr though. As much as I hate the caveman, that put a bit of a smile on my face.
Possibly, but he didn't do much under Ed Johnston/Craig Patrick either. It could have been the quality of talent he played with in his final years as well, which as we know was not very good. In Russia, he got to be THE guy, and his game has flourished - I think that's what he needed. He wants to come back to the NHL, but no team wants to pay him the $3-4 million per season that he's asked for.

The Canada-USA game, BTW, is at 7:45, according to NHL.com.