Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045
Default Donte Stallworth signs with Baltimore

Quote:
Ravens sign Stallworth to 1-year deal
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Wide receiver Donte' Stallworth has signed a one-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens, hoping to resurrect a career that was halted by a manslaughter conviction.

Stallworth was recently released by the Cleveland Browns after being reinstated by the NFL following a one-year suspension. He was suspended for violating the league's personal-conduct policy for a DUI vehicular manslaughter charge.

Stallworth served 30 days in a Miami jail for striking and killing a Miami construction worker with his car while driving under the influence of alcohol.

The Ravens announced the signing Wednesday.

The deal is worth $900,000 with an additional $300,000 in incentives.

"There was a time I felt the mistake I made was the end of the world for me," Stallworth said in a statement. "I will never get that morning back. It weighs on me every day and will for the rest of my life. What I can do is move forward, try to be a better person, try to convince others not to do what I did and warn others about the dangers of drinking and driving. I have to show otherwise that what happened doesn't reflect who I am.

"I have to prove that, and, hopefully, I'm on my way to doing that. I know my apology will never be strong enough for some, but I've made changes, and I'm trying to be a positive influence. It's an honor and privilege to play in the NFL, and I'm so thankful for this opportunity."

The 29-year-old Stallworth worked out for the Ravens on Tuesday.

"We've given a lot of thought to this and we've done extensive research into Donte' beyond football," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "He made a huge mistake. There's no doubt about that. He has paid a significant price for that and, as he has said, he carries a heavy weight. As [Ravens owner] Steve [Bisciotti] has said, we believe in second chances, and Donte' does deserve that.

"But, we've signed him because we want to get better, and we think he has a chance to help us. We worked him out and it's obvious he is working hard to be effective. We thought it was important to sign him now, because other teams were pursuing him and we want him in our offseason program, which starts next month."

Stallworth played just one season for the Browns after signing a seven-year, $35 million contract in 2008. That year he recorded 17 receptions for 170 yards and one touchdown in 11 games.

Stallworth has caught 296 career passes for 4,383 yards and 32 touchdowns. He has played for the Saints, Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots and the Browns. He had a career-high 70 catches and 945 yards in 2005.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4921333
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: Donte Stallworth signs with Baltimore

Shame. This is the sort the bungholes dive on.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I felt that Donte had some talent and then when he went to Cleveland it seemed to have disappeared. I wonder if going to baltimore will help him restore his career or deepen his poor choices and behavior.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

I think he can do ok with the Ravens who imo needs a good WR.

Like stlrtruck said he has some talent.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

30 days for killing someone with his car. Real nice. What are the chances that we only get 30 days for killing someone while drunk?

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

I’m immersed in the rich irony that Donte Stallworth can run over a man and be given a 30 day sentence for DUI manslaughter, that Jamal Lewis can be arrested with 5 kilos of cocaine and sentenced to 4 months, that Ray Lewis can be arrested for a double homicide and get off with 12 months probation, that Leonard Little gets 90-days in a work house for killing a woman while drunk on his ass, that Michael Vick, well, no comment, and the list of crimes and murders goes on and on and on, and that poor Plax gets stiffed for 2 years in the pokey for shooting himself. Ain’t that ironic? No, the rich irony is that all these thugs have been reinstated by a league whose high standards prevent a man of “controversy” from owning a minority stake in a franchise.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

Quote:
I’m immersed in the rich irony that Donte Stallworth can run over a man and be given a 30 day sentence for DUI manslaughter, that Jamal Lewis can be arrested with 5 kilos of cocaine and sentenced to 4 months, that Ray Lewis can be arrested for a double homicide and get off with 12 months probation, that Leonard Little gets 90-days in a work house for killing a woman while drunk on his ass, that Michael Vick, well, no comment, and the list of crimes and murders goes on and on and on, and that poor Plax gets stiffed for 2 years in the pokey for shooting himself. Ain’t that ironic? No, the rich irony is that all these thugs have been reinstated by a league whose high standards prevent a man of “controversy” from owning a minority stake in a franchise.
Vincent! I agree with you bud. I honestly believed that Vick should have never been allowed to come back after what he did, but he's back. It never really bothered me or anything like that. I think Plax should be allowed back cause all he did was harm himself. The thing about the Stallworth case is that the guy ran out in front of him. I wonder how Cleveland fans feel about Stallworth being a Raven now...
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
30 days for killing someone with his car. Real nice. What are the chances that we only get 30 days for killing someone while drunk?
About zero, unless we could pay off the family with a seven-figure settlement.

That's the part that really pissed me off about it -- they didn't even TRY to downplay the fact that he basically bought his way out of it. It was like, "Well, he gave a nice cash payment to the family, so they came to us and asked for lesser charges."

All I know is if I was the one who got run down by a drunk driver, and my wife and kids were that willing to trade my life for money, I'd be pretty pissed.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

In my opinion: We still need to worry about a Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin to Baltimore trade...
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
About zero, unless we could pay off the family with a seven-figure settlement.

That's the part that really pissed me off about it -- they didn't even TRY to downplay the fact that he basically bought his way out of it. It was like, "Well, he gave a nice cash payment to the family, so they came to us and asked for lesser charges."

All I know is if I was the one who got run down by a drunk driver, and my wife and kids were that willing to trade my life for money, I'd be pretty pissed.
Me too.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote