Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Harris: Time is now for Steelers' Clark

Harris: Time is now for Steelers' Clark
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_667484.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 17, 2010

You're Ryan Clark, starting free safety with the Steelers the last four seasons. This is your story.

You're an unrestricted free agent who wants to finish your career in Pittsburgh. Of course you do.

Joining a new team would mean uprooting your family and learning yet another system your fourth in nine years.

You won a Super Bowl with the Steelers. But so did former free safety Chris Hope, who said all the right things about wanting to finish his career with the Steelers but left for more money with the Tennessee Titans.

You really have to hope the Steelers don't have someone in mind to replace you the way they knew how to replace Hope.

Remember who that was? You, of course.

You hope the Steelers aren't stuck on Ryan Mundy, who is working out at West Virginia with his college coach, Bill Stewart. You hope the Steelers prefer your experience and understanding of the defense to Mundy's relative youth and lack of prime-time experience.

You hope the Steelers' brass values your friendship with fellow starting safety Troy Polamalu.

You hope the Steelers are fixated on drafting nose tackles, linebackers, offensive linemen and cornerbacks. But not safeties.

You hope that USC safety Taylor Mays is off the board when the Steelers select at No. 18 in the first round. You hope the Steelers' brass continues to have selective amnesia if safeties Morgan Burnett of Georgia Tech and Myron Rolle of Florida State are available in later rounds.

Spending a high draft pick on a safety would make it difficult for the Steelers to bring you back.

Polamalu earned $6.495 million last season. The transition tag for the position is a little over $6 million, which is what it would take for the Steelers to retain you if they don't re-sign you to a long-term deal.

The chances of that happening are remote, no matter what your agent thinks.

''We can all conjecture they're not going to pay two safeties a lot of money. Well, why wouldn't you?'' your agent, Joel Turner asks. ''You pay two defensive linemen a lot of money. You pay two linebackers a lot of money. You can only afford to have one safety? You're not paying two free safeties. You're paying a strong safety and a free safety. You need one of each for the defense to work well.

''We're not asking for a fortune. We're just asking for a fair deal. If they're not fair, I'll be shocked.''

If the Steelers re-sign Clark and nose tackle Casey Hampton, I'll be shocked. Tagging both players for next season would run in excess of $13 million.

Good luck with that happening.

Remember, the Steelers could have re-signed Clark a year ago after winning Super Bowl XLIII. Instead, they re-signed tight end Heath Miller and defensive end Brett Keisel to long-term deals.

Still, the Steelers' loss could result in Clark's financial gain.

If Clark can wrap his mind around the idea of wearing a different uniform next season, the idea of 31 other potential employers in the NFL, it could ease the sting of not returning to the Steelers.

After all, a paycheck is a paycheck.

The NFL is all about timing, so this is a great time to be a free safety with free agency only a week away.

New Orleans likely will franchise Darren Sharper, taking the best free safety off the market and putting more potential free-agent dollars in Clark's pocket.

Last year, safeties Gibril Wilson (five years, $27.5 million) and Yeremiah Bell (four years, $20 million) were the big winners in free agency.

It's Clark's turn to cash in.

''If that's the money those guys are making, then Ryan's worth more,'' Turner says of Wilson and Bell. ''Ryan is the best free safety available in unrestricted free agency. There are some guys who are younger, but Ryan's it.''

Sure, Clark wants to finish what he started with the Steelers. Maybe he'll have the opportunity to do just that.

More likely, Clark will move on to another team, and the Steelers will repeat their familiar game plan of replacing a key starter with a younger, less expensive version.

It is a cold, calculating business model with little thought given to sentimentality, but it's what works for the Steelers.

Clark can console himself with fond memories and a larger paycheck.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts
Default Re: Harris: Time is now for Steelers' Clark

jerry jones will make him an offer he cant refuse and we cant match.

i guess we can scrape ken hamlin off of dallas's dung pile though (he's been stealing money since 06 and could sign for cheap).

*sigh*
Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

What have you guys seen out of Mundy's development at safety? I really havent paid attention to him, mostly he just seemed to pop up once in a while on special teams...
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

I really haven't noticed much of Mundy to be honest. I'm pretty sure he could be a good safety, but he is young and doesn't have the experience of Clark. Then again, sometimes Clark acts like he has less experience than he really does. I don't blame him for wanting to retire as a Steeler, but we'll just have to see...
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,100 Posts

A quick fix for us if he leaves is Earl Thomas simple as that.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Question is. Will he be around at 18?
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Agreed +1.

Even if he does resign with the steelers we should still draft safeties for depth and the future.

the upcoming class is loaded with talented safties from rnd 1-7
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
Question is. Will he be around at 18?
He can be, i don't think the Giants will take safety, because of Pierce i think they will go Linebacker.

They got webster,ross, johnson and that other guy as a safety, the other guy got injured all year so c.c. brown covered in (cant cover brown) and he kept getting burned like tyrone carter.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
groundhogday
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5248

Harris mentions Taylor Mays. I don't see us taking him as there will be other BPAs available which will address needs (including Thomas over Mays), OL, DL, CB.
groundhogday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
SteelerEmpire
Head Coach

Member Number: 14355

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
jerry jones will make him an offer he cant refuse and we cant match.

i guess we can scrape ken hamlin off of dallas's dung pile though (he's been stealing money since 06 and could sign for cheap).

*sigh*
Ha ha... would'ent be surprised... But I hope Clark gets to stay on. If he leaves I'm gonna miss the hardest hitting FS in the NFL.... kind of gave the Steelers D a little flavor...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote