Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Free agency is changing, and NFL players aren't happy about it

Free agency is changing, and NFL players aren't happy about it

Story Highlights
In uncapped year, players must wait longer to become unrestricted free agents
Concern is not over having to prove oneself, but over injury preventing payday
When restricted tenders start filtering in, NFLPA will face unhappy constituents

One of the major by-products of the NFL's first uncapped year since 1993 is that roughly 212 players who would normally be unrestricted free agents will now be restricted. Some of them aren't happy about it, and for good reason.

For years, players who had logged four or five years of experience by the time their contracts expired were allowed to offer their services on the open market, absent a franchise or transition tag. That'll no longer be the case if the NFL Players Association and the league fail to hammer out a new collective bargaining agreement by March 5. Word is the sides aren't even close.

So instead of, say, Chargers wideout Vincent Jackson offering his services to the highest bidder after five mostly productive seasons in San Diego (1,067 yards in 2008; 1,167 in 2009), he and others are out of luck until they have six years of service -- thanks to the most recent CBA as it was negotiated in 2006.

Minnesota defensive end Ray Edwards is so upset, he went so far as to criticize Roger Goodell after learning the NFL commissioner made $9.759 million in 2008.

"I don't see him out there getting hit or nothing like that," Edwards told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "The commissioner makes $9 million, so you tell me where the balance is? He doesn't put his life on the line, he pushes a pen.

"It's frustrating because we play this game to take care of our family and we eventually are at the team's mercy of what they are going to do with us.

"That's what we fought for with the whole Reggie White thing [a lawsuit in 1992], was to have free agency and this is not free agency if you sign for four years but you've got to serve two more. That's not free agency."

The elephant in the room for these players is not that they have to prove themselves for yet another year, although that's part of it. The far bigger concern is that they have to stay healthy for an additional season, which is no small task. Just ask Leon Washington and Owen Daniels.

Washington and Daniels sat out of most offseason programs a year ago in hopes of landing a new contract before their fourth seasons with the Jets and Texans, respectively. Both were mid-round draft choices in 2006 -- Daniels 98th, Washington 117th. Both became stars and clearly had outplayed their rookie contracts. But neither got a new deal before the 2009 season, so they had to play another year without the security they desired. And both suffered serious season-ending injuries -- Washington broke his leg in Week 7 while Daniels tore his ACL one week later. The end result is likely the same: Neither player will ever receive the type of contract he hoped for. Sure, both could still bounce back, have good seasons and get a nice long-term contract at some point. But even then they will still be viewed as damaged goods to some extent.

The risk of physical injury will hang over the heads of the 200 or so players who will likely play under one-year tender offers this season. You can bet a decent percentage of that group will suffer the type of injury that has the potential to change their lives dramatically. And not in a good way.

These guys have seen other players cash in for several years now, and it is supposed to be their turn. But it isn't. These guys were holding winning lottery tickets, and while they were standing in line watching the people in front of them cash in theirs, the cashier put up a sign saying no more tickets would be accepted. Better luck next year.

That's why more and more players will begin to speak out over the next couple of weeks. Right now a lot of them are still holding out hope that their franchises will offer lucrative contract extensions that will give them the type of financial security they believe they deserve. Unlikely.

Over the next couple of weeks, restricted tenders ranging from $1.1-3.3 million (based on years of service) will start being placed. When that happens, the NFL Players Association is going to have a whole lot of unhappy constituents on hand.

Find this article at:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...nts/index.html
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,839 Times in 2,095 Posts
Default Re: Free agency is changing, and NFL players aren't happy about it

boo-hoo.

looks like they should think about calling up their union boss and encouraging them to get a deal done (like yesterday) or consider taking up baseball.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Minnesota defensive end Ray Edwards is so upset, he went so far as to criticize Roger Goodell after learning the NFL commissioner made $9.759 million in 2008.

"I don't see him out there getting hit or nothing like that," Edwards told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "The commissioner makes $9 million, so you tell me where the balance is? He doesn't put his life on the line, he pushes a pen.

"It's frustrating because we play this game to take care of our family and we eventually are at the team's mercy of what they are going to do with us.

Oh, please - give me the NFL minimum, and I'd be able to get along quite nicely. Taking care of one's family = providing food, clothing, and shelter, not buying hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars worth of bling, or 12 mansions, or 25 Ferraris/Lamborghinis/Bentleys. And as far as being at the mercy of one's employer goes, join the frigging club, asshole. I'd also be willing he's in a better position financially to sustain a long layoff than about 98% of the rest of the population.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote:
He doesn't put his life on the line, he pushes a pen.

i'd LOVE for this assclown to stand in front of a group of servicemen in iraq or afghanistan who are making less than 20k a year and give them this sob story.... this greedy asswhipe should be ashamed of himself.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

"
Quote:
It's frustrating because we play this game to take care of our family and we eventually are at the team's mercy of what they are going to do with us.
You paly this game for the millions of $$$ fool. It aint got nuthin' to do with your family...lol.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Yeah, if the players got everything they wanted, there'd be free agency after one year, every dollar of every contract would be guaranteed, and you could smoke weed in the locker room. If the owners got what they wanted, there'd be no free agency and salaries would be about a third of what they are today. So both sides want more; big freaking whoop. What neither of them are going to get is even an ounce of sympathy from me if they're too greedy and/or dumb to figure out how to divide all their piles of money.

To summarize the situation:

Players :0c=============3 Me

Owners :0c=============3 Me
Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

These guys act like they make minimum wage. If they cannot support their families off of the hundreds of thousands to the millions they make a year, then they have their priorities messed up.

I make $8/hour at my current job. My Grandpa makes about $70k a year before taxes. They would be up shit creek without a paddle making what the average American makes.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote