Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
surcalifero
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13079
Default 2010 NFL Draft: Should the Steelers Trade Down from No. 18?

Everyone knows that the Steelers draft experts are great at hitting home runs in the first round. If you take a look at how the Steelers have fared so far this millennium, you will see many Pro-Bowlers, and some potential Hall of Famers.

2000 - Plaxico Burress. Had he not shot himself in the leg, and gone to jail because of it, the Giants would have been a considerably better team. Other than his off field issues, Burress was a great player between the lines.

2001 - Casey Hampton. The Big Man in the middle ties up blockers so the line backers can make the plays. Hampton is a force, and it shows by his Pro Bowl appearances.

2002 - Kendall Simmons. Had Simmons not had the health and injury issues that have derailed his career, he could have been an anchor like Alan Faneca was.

2003 - Troy Polamalu. If I even need to explain how important he is, you need to stop reading Steelers articles. He could be the best to ever play the game at safety. The first person in the history of the Steelers that they ever traded up for.

2004 - Ben Roethlisberger. Luck was with the Steelers as Big Ben fell to them. He is the perfect fit for the Black and Gold, and holds many Steelers and NFL records already.

2005 - Heath Miller. The best tight end the Steelers have ever had. Drafting at the end of the first round, Miller fell to the Steelers, and has become one of the best in the business, going to his first Pro Bowl this year. Expect to see more out of him.

2006 - Santonio Holmes. Only the SECOND player the Steelers traded up for. He already has earned the Super Bowl MVP, and is becoming one of the top wide outs without an attitude in the NFL.

2007 - Lawrence Timmons. Pushed Larry Foote out the door with his play, and is becoming the first round stud the Steelers thought he would be when they drafted him. The first pick of the Mike Tomlin era is one of the hardest hitters in the NFL.

2008 - Rashard Mendenhall. Has earned the starters role. It took him two season, but has become the feature back, and is becoming worthy of the first round pick.

2009 - Evander "Ziggy" Hood. Showed at the end of his rookie season that he is understanding the system, and will be a force for the Steelers for years to come.

There is no question that the Steelers know how to draft in the first round. How many teams can say they have had the first round success that the Steelers have had? NONE.

This season is not like many other seasons. With the NFL CBA set to expire in less than a month, many of the college kids that were eligible to enter the NFL, are in fact doing so. Why?

1. Most people believe that if a new CBA is agreed to, there is going to be a rookie salary cap. They want to get in while they can still cash in.

2. If no CBA can be reached, players that enter the NFL next year, may be looking at a lock-out once they get drafted. That means that they will not be able to agree to a lower rookie deal as quick because of the league imposed lock-out.

Now, there is talk that the Steelers should trade up in the draft to select a Joe Hayden, or one of the top Offensive Tackle prospects. I disagree.

To trade up, would cost us at least our second round pick.

With the talent in this years draft, there will be first round talent in the second round, and second round talent in the third, and even third round talent in the fourth.

Trading up, would keep the Steelers from being able to stock up on quality players they need to further the depth on the team.

Here is my suggestion, trade DOWN.

Take our 18 pick, and trade back into the late 20's. We will still be able to pick up quality. Don't believe me? Of the people above, the only players the Steelers selected in the top half of the draft are Plaxico Burress (eight), Troy Polamalu (16), Ben Roethlisberger (11) and Lawrence Timmons (15).

On the contrary, the Steelers selected Kendall Simmons (30), Heath Miller (30), Santonio Holmes (25), Rashard Mendenhall (23) and Ziggy Hood (32) all late in the first round.

Why not trade back to get one of the players that will be available later in the first round, and pick up an additional second round pick?

To take things one step further, trade our 2011 first round pick to one of the teams in the top ten of the second round. This will give the Steelers a late first round pick, and three second round picks.

If the Steelers can pick up three, second round picks, even if they have the talent of what would normally be a late first to early second round talent, that would be a steal.

I know that the Steelers have never traded their first round pick away, but think about it. Players that are going to be in that draft are probably going to be missing out on any mini camps that they would normally attend due to the lock-out. And odds are, the Steelers first round draft pick next year is going to be in the later part of the round, hopefully 32.

That being said, we will get the same caliber player, a year earlier, for less money.

The question becomes, is someone like Joe Hayden worth the two other quality players the Steelers could draft? If we were to trade up, either or both of last years corners would become obsolete. Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett will both have the chance to compete for playing time, with Deshea Townsend probably done with the Steelers.

The plan for Lewis and Burnett was to move Lewis to the starting role opposite of Ike Taylor and Burnett would become the Nickel back.

This is a perfect opportunity for the Steelers to stock up on depth, get the quality players to learn the system, and save a bunch of money in the process.
surcalifero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Re: 2010 NFL Draft: Should the Steelers Trade Down from No. 18?

No Way trading down, when we pick at 18 were going to get a very good player. I would rather not risk losing players before trading down 2 spots. Once their gone their gone
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Trading from 18 to 28 would probably net us an early 3rd round pick. I am not totally apposed to that but want to wait till we see who is available at 18.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
Trading from 18 to 28 would probably net us an early 3rd round pick. I am not totally apposed to that but want to wait till we see who is available at 18.
I would also follow this strategy.

You NEVER want to tip your hand, but I'd work the phones early up until #17 to at least see what the 49ers do with their 2nd pick.

The biggest problem would be finding a likely candidate. Which, just glancing could be someone like the eagles. They have the #24 pick, but more importantly have 2 third rounders already to work with. In that scenario we could get their #24 and their #87. That would be within 5 on the trade value chart.

Not too bad for moving just 7 spots down.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
deweybeachde
Water Boy

Member Number: 11239

How about this Trade Down option. I would love to see Tampa take this deal.

Trade or 18th pick to Tampa Bay for their 35th, 67th and 102nd picks. This would be their 2nd 3rd & 4th which are at the top of each round.
On the Trade Value chart, it makes sense.
The 18th pick is worth 900 pts and Tampa's 3 picks are worth 897.

If what many believe that there is 1st round talent in the 2nd round, 2nd round talent in the 3rd, and 3rd round talent in the 4th, this should help us fill the depth that we need. 12 picks in total if we also get 3 comp picks for Nate Washington, McFadden, & Leftwich.

This is what a possible Mock would look like.....
Both O and D lines addressed .
A LB to groom behind Farrior
Skill positions of CB, S, RB, back up QB

2nd rd 35 and 52 (Weatherspoon (or Spikes) LB & McCourty CB)
3rd rd 67 and 82 (Cam Thomas NT & Saffold OT)
4th rd 102 and 117 (Myron Rolle S & Kam Chancellor S)
5th rd 159 (+ hopefully 2 comps) (Blount RB, Jeff Byers C, & CJ Wilson DE)
6th rd 198 (Skelton QB)
7th rd 221 (+ hopefully 1 comp) (Swenson K and Conner FB)
deweybeachde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
I would also follow this strategy.

You NEVER want to tip your hand, but I'd work the phones early up until #17 to at least see what the 49ers do with their 2nd pick.

The biggest problem would be finding a likely candidate. Which, just glancing could be someone like the eagles. They have the #24 pick, but more importantly have 2 third rounders already to work with. In that scenario we could get their #24 and their #87. That would be within 5 on the trade value chart.

Not too bad for moving just 7 spots down.
If we trade down, around 24 is where I would like to land. I think that would put us in the area for 3 or 4 players that we could really use.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I like the ideal of trading down, especially if Earl Thomas isn't there. It would be nice to get Tampa's 2 2nd rd picks for our 18th pick.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,038 Posts

I'm not saying it wont happen, but I dont want to.

All we did the past couple of years was complain that all the good talent would be gone by the time we drafted at the end of the 1st round. Now we have a shot at most of that talent and are advocating trading down??? Doesnt make sense to me.

I honestly think the Steelers wanted a C in Alex Mack or Eric Wood last year, but when they were gone they took Hood and in the 2nd there was a run on interior linemen, so they traded down. This is the year the Steelers can get QUALITY talent at #18 and #40....rather than #32 and #64. I say stay where we are.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweybeachde View Post
How about this Trade Down option. I would love to see Tampa take this deal.

Trade or 18th pick to Tampa Bay for their 35th, 67th and 102nd picks. This would be their 2nd 3rd & 4th which are at the top of each round.
On the Trade Value chart, it makes sense.
The 18th pick is worth 900 pts and Tampa's 3 picks are worth 897.
Interesting senerio, but I think Tampa has too many holes to give away that many picks in the early/middle rounds. You, yourself admitted there is value there. They should be looking to get more of those picks, not less. imo. You never know though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I'm not saying it wont happen, but I dont want to.

All we did the past couple of years was complain that all the good talent would be gone by the time we drafted at the end of the 1st round. Now we have a shot at most of that talent and are advocating trading down??? Doesnt make sense to me.

I honestly think the Steelers wanted a C in Alex Mack or Eric Wood last year, but when they were gone they took Hood and in the 2nd there was a run on interior linemen, so they traded down. This is the year the Steelers can get QUALITY talent at #18 and #40....rather than #32 and #64. I say stay where we are.
I can understand that.

I was just looking to see what the possibility might be to get that extra 3rd rounder without losing too much going from 18 to 24.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

As I've (and many of us) have said before....you have to wait and see who is available vs. what you want/need...and also who a trading partner could be. If trading back i wouldnt want to go but a few spots. As someone also pointed out...we've been picking in the late 1st for a while...and not often do we get to pick this high....so with that said i'd be happy where we are also.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote