Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers QB Charlie Batch Q&A

Steelers QB Charlie Batch Q&A
February 19, 4:46 PMPittsburgh Steelers Examiner
Chris Adamski
http://www.examiner.com/x-37788-Pitt...arlie-Batch-QA

In the series of Examiner exclusive Q&As, we follow one longtime veteran Steeler who is an unrestricted free agent and unlikely to return next year with another.

Homestead native Charlie Batch has been with the Steelers since 2002, backing up the likes of Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox and Ben Roethlisberger. With the team intrigued by Dennis Dixon and with Batchís recent injury history (not to mention age), itís probably a longshot he will return.

But donít rule it out. Itís unlikely the Steelers would enter next season with only Dixon and no veteran at all behind Roethlisberger, so why not Batch Ė even if he is No. 3 instead of No. 2? Also, Batch has so many ties to his hometown city (as seen below), he might be open to taking a literal ďhometown discountĒ to stay. Further, letís be honest, he isnít exactly going to be attracting tons of interest from around the league Ė he hasnít been a regular starter in the NFL for a decade.

Just a hunch, but the guess here is that Batch retires, devotes more time to his charitable causes, or maybe even gets into broadcasting (heís not too bad on the air).

Here is what the 35-year-old Steel Valley High School and Eastern Michigan University alum had to say in a relaxed chat (mostly about his off-the-field endeavors Ė as I tried to emphasize, nothing too hard-hitting) in the Steelers locker room at their practice facility after a practice in December.

Examiner: Whatís it like playing for your hometown team all these years?
Charlie Batch: Itís great because I get to be around the family, playing for the team I grew up watching. Itís great to really be able to be this close to home. Most people would say they are going home, it may be an hour or two hours away but I am only 10 minutes away, so itís a lot different. Itís a unique situation for me.

E: Has the Pittsburgh always been Ė and will it always be Ė your home?
CB: Always, weíve always been here. Even when I was in Detroit, I made Pittsburgh my offseason home.

E: What has made you become so involved in helping kids and starting your foundation (Batchfoundation.org)?
CB: Really for me, the biggest thing was trying to give kids something to do throughout the summer time. I do a football camp or whatever, just my experience going through it, losing a loved one. My sister was shot and killed at the age of 17, being that way I never wanted a family to feel the way we did. So what I tried to do was create a program with my foundation just to get kids something to do in those evening hours, try to tire them out so then eventually they want go home, get some sleep and then do it again the next day. And do that throughout the week and then most parents are off on the weekends so at least they know where their kids are at. That was kind of the thought process behind it, to be able to do that, I started it in 2000 and it really took off in 2002 when I came back home.
The basketball program is just the biggest program that we do because we have 350 kids that participate and now that we have them there it turns into a mentoring program so now we have sports and education and making sure that they go hand in hand so Iím able to stay on them throughout the school year and they focus on the educational part.

E: When you do retire from playing football, is that something you see yourself staying involved with?
CB: I definitely will do it. This is something that hopefully one day one of the kids goes out there and becomes successful and many kids become successful and hopefully want to come back here one day and do the exact same thing that Iím doing, maybe in a different way, maybe in the same way. I donít know what that would be but itís just something that I want to remind them that, donít do it by yourself, thereís help along the way, Iíve had help along the way and hopefully somebody else can go out there. When you become successful be able to help somebody as well, so I think itís really an opportunity to have a snowball effect.

E: Youíve been seen acting as a mentor for young high-profile athletes from the area, notably your relationship with Terrelle Pryor when he was at Jeannette and going through the process of choosing a collegeÖ
CB: Weíve done that with many kids. That was probably the most high-profile guy we had. Terrelle was brought to me as a freshman in high school and I was able to be around him since the age of 14 years old and our relationship grew and by the time his senior year happened, he just exploded on the scene and everybody knew who he was, and now people were wondering how did I get involved? I got involved because I was introduced to him at the age of 14. We had DeJaun Blair (www.nba.com/playerfile/dejuan_blair/index.html) come through the program. Those are the two most high-profile guys that have come through this type of program Ö And hopefully DeJaun will have this type of program when he comes back to Pittsburgh. Now weíre able to have that snowball effect Ė heís been there, he saw it and weíve already talked about it already. He just started itís his first summer, but next summer he wants to do something back at home. Itís just one of many and I donít go around and I donít talk about the people that I go out there and help, I let them bring it to the forefront and I think when Terrelle did that thatís kind of when it kind of exploded onto the national scene.

E: Did you have a person be that type of influence in your life that youíre trying to be to these kids?
CB: You always wish you had it, but Iíve always had youth football coaches who were prominent in my life and that carried on when I was in high school and obviously I still have coaches who have helped me along the way, and you just kind of take a little from each person and at some point in time, whatever impact they had in your life, you just kind of mold it and create your own and become that mentor to many of the kids that I do.

E: Talk about the experience of winning the Super Bowl Ė twice Ė and how that helps you have credibility with people.
CB: Itís great to be able to do it in your hometown. To me itís not only great to celebrate it and be here but also take (the ring (http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uplo...bowl-rings.jpg)) around the kids and let them wear it and let them go out there and take pictures with it and everything Iím doing as a grown man. Because theyíre excited about it, and if thatís a goal of theirs, to say, ĎHey, I was born and raised from here and went out there and you know, became successful,í but at the same time never forget where you came from. Thatís just something for me to go out there and continue to preach that because I never want them to fall into that and say ĎLook where weíre at, we donít get the best of things,í and use that an excuse to want to go out there and become successful. And with my foundation we always try to create different opportunities for the kids as far as all their mindsets and the different imaginations that they have. We donít want to always focus on the sports aspect; we always just want to focus on mainly on the educational part.
Iíve been doing it the past nine years, the eight years since Iíve been home, so itís just been great all around.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Re: Steelers QB Charlie Batch Q&A

I like Charlie and hope when he retires they find a place on the staff him because he's earned ti.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

Charlie is a very classy guy and, I hope the steelers will hire him as part of the coaching staff.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

True class guy. I just hope the kids on our team could learn from him as much as they could so that they help the Steelers classy team.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

He has been successful since he got out of Detroit. Goes to show you what you can do if you get hooked up with the right team.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
He has been successful since he got out of Detroit. Goes to show you what you can do if you get hooked up with the right team.
... right place, right fans...
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
He has? I must have missed something.

He had some pretty powerful weapons in Detroit, if you will recall, but still couldn't get it together. Don't get me wrong - Charlie is a terrific guy with a heart the size of Texas and the true definition of a "teamer", but I think his "skills" would be better utilized on the coaching staff than as a backup to Ben. My stomach would be so appreciative!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,468 Times in 2,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
He has? I must have missed something.

He had some pretty powerful weapons in Detroit, if you will recall, but still couldn't get it together. Don't get me wrong - Charlie is a terrific guy with a heart the size of Texas and the true definition of a "teamer", but I think his "skills" would be better utilized on the coaching staff than as a backup to Ben. My stomach would be so appreciative!
You must be talking about that top rated o-line they had or that awesome defense they fielded.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

It blows my mind he was handing off to Barry Sanders once. That seems like ions ago.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote