Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070
Default Super Bowl thoughts from DraftSharks...

I am a fantasy football nut and I get email updates from almost everyone, lol. I just got this email this morning and it was a good read so I tought I would share it with the Steeler Nation!

================
Draft Sharks
February 3, 2006
Super Bowl Bites
=================

While watching endless hours of the NFL Network and ESPN this week, I actually managed to scribble some thoughts to share with you?

** Some free advice to Steelers coach Bill Cowher: Make Jerome Bettis your starting RB for Super Bowl XL. Despite their reputation as a grind-it-out offense, the Steelers running game has nearly disappeared during the playoffs. Yes, they?ve still been winning thanks to Ben Roethlisberger and a nasty defense. But it?s time the ground game stepped it up and helped the cause. For his part, Bettis has averaged a paltry 2.65 yards per carry the last two games. Cowher needs to challenge him to have one more big game ? to turn back the clock 4 years, and give his team 20 carries with 4 or 5 yards each time he handles the ball. The Steelers O-line should be able to push around an undersized Seattle front 7. Throughout the playoffs, Bettis has asked his team to ?get me home to Detroit.? They?ve done that. Now, Cowher, the master motivator, should ask Jerome to step up and lead them to a Super Bowl win. Just another way to light an emotional fire under his team!

** The one factor that keeps smacking me in the face is the softness of the Seahawks? schedule. They played in the worst division in football. They rolled up 6 wins vs. the Niners, Cards and Rams. They got another win against the Texans, one against the Eagles (who were without McNabb and TO), and a win against the Colts in a meaningless game. They beat the Giants in overtime, a team that missed 3 FGs. Admittedly, they have played fairly well in the playoffs. But again, they beat a Washington team that sucked out a win against the Bucs. And the Panthers just seemed to have run out of gas. The Seahawks beat the 5 and 6 seeds in their conference at home. The Steelers beat the 1, 2 and 3 seeds on the road. The Steelers are the toughest team the Seahawks will face. The Seahawks are not nearly the toughest team the Steelers have faced. I wouldn't be shocked if the Seahawks won, but I don't really expect it...

** A few Super Bowl hunches: Hines Ward or Antwaan Randle El throws a pass? Seahawks come out throwing and Steelers come out running?. Jerramy Stevens scores a TD, but Shaun Alexander doesn?t? If the Steelers win, the MVP will be a defensive player? The winning team will do so by more than 10 points? LB Joey Porter vs. LT Walter Jones will be the matchup of the game?. We?ll see at least one player?s helmet get knocked off while the Steelers defense is on the field?. And, for what it?s worth, I had a dream last week that Jeff Reed missed a 30-yard FG in the Super Bowl.

** Most Underreported Super Bowl Stories: Steelers FB Dan Kreider is listed as questionable with a knee injury suffered against the Broncos. That?s more important than any of the Jerome-Bettis-Is-Home stories?. The game is going to be won by the handful of Pro Bowl offensive lineman from either unit? Steelers coaches Bill Cowher, Ken Whisenhunt and **** LeBeau are the real reason Pittsburgh has made it this far? No one outside the media cares about the Rolling Stones performing at halftime ? though I?d love to know what mortician does their makeup?

** Is it my imagination, or were players slowing down as they reached the end zone this year? Instead of running at full tilt toward the goal line, too many players want to glide into the end zone. I guess it looks cooler if a defender who IS running at full speed barely misses you at the at the one-yard line. Want to look for another stupid habit? Watch how many times RBs and WRs carry the ball in the wrong arm (in the arm farthest from the sidelines instead of closest to the sidelines). In Sunday?s game, watch how often Steelers RB Willie Parker does it (and fumbles). For an example of both idiocies, check out CB Champ Bailey?s INT return vs. the Patriots a few weeks ago. He held the ball in the wrong arm, and started gliding at the 5-yard line. Bailey got blasted by TE Danile Graham, and fumbled the ball out of bounds on a very close ruling. Had the ball gone out of the end zone, the Patriots would have regained possession of the ball at the 20 yard line. Nice INT by Bailey. But pure stupidity in his run back.

** The most painful part of the Super Bowl media week was listening to Sean Salisbury ? the whitest white guy on the planet besides John Clayton ? call one of the players ?dawg.? Sean, I can understand that sometimes when you are kicking it with your Gs and listening to ?Fifteen Cents,? you might use terms like ?Dawg.? But Stuart Scott has already carved out the niche of annoying hip-hop anchor on ESPN. You don?t need to be the Eminem of Bristol, Connecticut. Yo -- just keep it real as the serious-faced, whining announcer who hates every NFL quarterback you?ve ever seen play.

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Super Bowl thoughts from DraftSharks...

Not bad...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote