Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Tomlinson’s time in San Diego ends

Tomlinson’s time in San Diego ends
Casey Pearce
Posted 1 hour ago
http://www.chargers.com/news/article...0-9511599ef969

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson, the Chargers all-time leading rusher, was released today after nine remarkable seasons in San Diego.

Chargers President Dean Spanos met with Tomlinson today and informed his veteran running back that he is being released.

“This is a part of the business that I hate, and it’s particularly hard when you’re dealing with someone I consider a friend,” Spanos said. “Change involving great players is never easy. I respect LT as much or more than any player I’ve ever known. And no one appreciates his contributions to this organization more than I do. That is why this is such a difficult announcement for me to make.

“It has been a privilege to work with him and witness his entire career. I’m proud of him and grateful to him for the way he has carried himself both on and off the field.

“No matter where he chooses to continue his career, in my mind LT will always be a San Diego Charger. His legacy as one of the greatest running backs the game has ever seen will be as a Charger.”

Tomlinson owns or shares 28 team records, including career rushing yards, yards from scrimmage and touchdowns. During his nine seasons in San Diego, Tomlinson won two rushing titles (2006 and ’07), set an NFL single-season record for touchdowns in a season (31 in ’06) and racked up 12,490 rushing yards, the eighth-highest total in NFL history. He was the NFL’s Most Valuable Player in 2006 and earned Pro Bowl honors five times.

“I was fortunate to be the offensive coordinator here during LT’s rookie year in 2001 and it didn’t take long to realize that we were dealing with a special player and a special individual,” Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner said. “And when I returned to the Chargers in 2007, I was proud to be a part of his second NFL rushing title.

“LT is a true pro. He’s one of the greatest runners this game has ever seen and words can’t do justice to the things he’s accomplished on and off the field.”

In addition to his long list of achievements on the gridiron, Tomlinson’s tireless efforts in the community have benefitted thousands of individuals in San Diego as well as his native Texas. In 2006, LT received the NFL Man of the Year Award in recognition of his numerous philanthropic efforts.

“It’s fitting that LT’s and LaTorsha’s charity is called the ‘Touching Lives Foundation’ because that’s exactly what they’ve done,” Spanos said. “So many people have been positively affected by their generosity. Our community has been fortunate to have them.”

Tomlinson joined the Chargers in 2001 as the fifth overall selection in the NFL Draft. The Chargers originally held the top pick in the draft, but swung a trade with the Atlanta Falcons, who moved up to take quarterback Michael Vick. The Chargers nervously waited as Tomlinson fell to the fifth spot where they enthusiastically brought him into their fold.

“There were a lot of eyebrows raised when we made that trade, but LT proved to be everything we thought he’d be and more,” Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. “He’s a future Hall of Famer. My only regret is that he leaves San Diego without a Super Bowl ring.”

Tomlinson was one of 53 men recognized as the Greatest All-Time Chargers during the team’s 50th anniversary celebration last season and he was recently named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team for the 2000s. His 138 career rushing touchdowns are the second most in NFL history and his 153 total touchdowns ranks third in league annals.

“I look forward to the time when we’ll see his number retired and see him inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame,” Spanos said. “I can’t say enough about how much I’ve enjoyed being around LT and LaTorsha the last nine years.”
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774
Default Re: Tomlinson’s time in San Diego ends

I wonder where he's off to now, this is going get interesting.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Hopefully he retires.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Carolina Steelers
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 3009

I think LT can still play for someone. Willie Parker could end up in San Diego hes a few years younger
Carolina Steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

a shame that he never has a probably never will get a ring
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

I hope he goes somewhere other than Denver or KC... I'm tired of watching him kick the Raiders' ass twice a year.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,799 Times in 4,468 Posts

LT= patriot. they will dump faulk, taylor, and a. thomas, and save money and increase productivity by brining in LT and porter.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
LT= patriot. they will dump faulk, taylor, and a. thomas, and save money and increase productivity by brining in LT and porter.
I think Porter dislikes the Patriots enough that he won't wind up there. But I definitely see them bringing in LT or Westbrook, plus Foote and some other veteran, plus picking up two or three more first-day draft picks from the Raiders in the process, just because all of the above will piss everyone off.

Also, they'll probably let Plaxico Burress out of jail early so he can go play for New England for the league minimum, also just because it would piss me off.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
Hopefully he retires.
Why hopefully? I dont see it happening, but saying hopefully he retires just strikes me as not liking him and hoping he just leaves the game.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
Why hopefully? I dont see it happening, but saying hopefully he retires just strikes me as not liking him and hoping he just leaves the game.
Hopefully as in just seeing him as a Charger, it just sucks when face of franchises go take a 1 year shitty deal. He's a first ballot hall of famer.

Apparantley he was crying when he walked out of the charger facility.