Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default The Steelers Interested in LaDainian Tomlinson?

The Steelers Interested in LaDainian Tomlinson?
by Blitzburgh on Feb 23, 2010 8:52 PM EST Comment 62 comments
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-interested-in

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is interested in bringing LaDainian Tomlinson to Pittsburgh. Before I go any further, I'll note that gauging just how interested Tomlin and the Steelers might be is impossible to judge. Why? Because quite frankly, I'm sure just about every coach in the National Football Leauge (save Norvell Turner) has said or would say that they'd love to have a player and locker room presence like LT on their side in 2010. So who knows just how 'interested' Tomlin is.

I would say though that adding a piece like LT would be an outstanding move for the Steelers. Now, I'm usually not one who's interested in Pittsburgh acquiring a 'big name' player who, for any number of reasons, is past his prime, injury prone or too expensive. Larry Johnson for example never intrigued me as a possibility in Pittsburgh.

But LT does. For one, the Steelers are going to need somebody to spell/compliment Rashard Mendenhall. If the Steelers do in fact make a stronger commitment to running the ball next year, then there simply has to be somebody besides Mewelde Moore to hand the ball off to. What about Isaac Redman? Or some late round draft pick or undrafted free agent signing this summer? Those are options, no doubt.

But, in my opinion, Bruce Arians will be much more inclined and likely to make a legitimate commitment to running the football if there were two proven, capable backs in the stable like Mendenhall and LT. If it's some inexperienced option like Redman or an UFA rookie, something tells me Arians puts the ball back in Ben's hands too often.

What about cost? Well on that front, I'm just not sure what to say. I don't know what the market for LT's services will be like. I personally don't think that the 2010 uncapped year will affect the spending of the vast majority of teams; and I also don't think that the few teams who do spend more than would be allowed if there were a cap will spend extravagantly, or said differently, in a New York Yankees-esque type of way that clearly gives them a competitive advantage over the rest of the league.

We'll see. I certainly wouldn't say it's 'likely' or even 'somewhat likely' that LT winds up in the black and gold. But I would gladly welcome him if it did happen. There may be other opportunities out there for LT that would allow him to be a featured back rather than a complimentary option. But if LT wants to win a Super Bowl and wouldn't mind taking on a different role than he's been in his entire career, maybe just maybe he'd entertain an offer from the Steelers.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141
Default Re: The Steelers Interested in LaDainian Tomlinson?

If the price is low and I mean LOW maybee. But they better make sure he hasn't lost a step like i suspect. He(Tomlin) also better make it very clear that Mendy is the #1 guy.

Last edited by Northside Jonny; 02-24-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Northside Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
M.C. Smith
Water Boy

Member Number: 15916

I would love to see Tomlinson as a Steeler, but I just don't see it happening. His asking price is going to be really high and as we know, the Steelers aren't known for throwing around money like that.

M.C. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Big7BenHOF
Team Captain

Member Number: 5192

I think it could very well happen. Tomlinson may be willing to take a low pay to play in a great place such as Pittsburgh, somewhere where he could win a ring very soon.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I could see it happening, but it really depends how much LT wants to play because he obviously won't get the starting role here but he doesnt have many options where he could start AND win a championship, and right now championship seems to be his biggest goal. Its mutual for both sides. Tomlinson wants to win a championship, and he wants to play, so obviously crappy teams are out of the question. The Steelers could obviously utilize him on offense; Id like to see him take Mewelde Moore's role as third down/occasional wildcat back (never was a big Moore fan) and he could help develop Mendenhall into an even better back than he is now. But if LT is bent on having a MAJOR offensive role on whatever team he plays on I dont think hes going to get that here.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Remember all the rumors about Vick coming to play for us before and during camp?

How'd those turn out?
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

^Ya, but Vick was not only one of the biggest free agent risks for a team to sign in history but we also would have had to change a lot of our offensive gameplan just to utilize him. Not to mention the legal troubles; the Steelers have never been big on legal-troubled FA's. But Tomlinson has never had any problems as far as Im aware of, could fit the role of 3rd down back quite well if hes willing to accept that role, and seems like a much more natural fit to our offense than Vick (or other rumored recent FA signings)
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

LT already has the money, he doesn't have the ring. And Pittsburgh would be the best chance for him to get that ring in 2010
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104

Id rather keep Willie.LT hasnt done much lately except being a loud mouth off the field.

Please dont bring that guy to Da Burgh,keep doing what you do best which is build through draft and bring some low profile FA to fill some depth.
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

It would be interesting to see LT as a Steeler, I'd be kinda shocked if he actually did become a Steeler. True, he probably would have a better chance of winning a SB and he could be a good help in the locker room as well, but we still have Willie. If Willie stays (which probably won't happen), then theres no way. I personally don't want to see Willie go because he's been a class act, but he is older and not as productive as he used to be. LT is older than Willie though. I wouldn't mind LT being a Steeler...
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote