Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
GutterflowerSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1261
Default The Dream Shot

This is my high school alma mater, and the story was on all of our local news stations. Amidst the never-ending snowicanes, shootings, murders, horrible child molestations ... this story made me cry - but in a good way Click the link for a video clip of the dream shot & an interview afterwards (I don't know how to embed it). This boy persevered and made a play that he'll remember the rest of his life. It was my warm fuzzy of the day - hope it is for you, too:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/loca...-022410http://

Md. Teen Makes Dream Shot on Basketball Court
Linganore High's Tyler DeVries makes final shot

By BETH PARKER/myfoxdc

FREDERICK COUNTY, Md. - It is one thing to win. It is another to win the Tyler DeVries way.

It has been quite a journey. Tyler has cerebral palsy. Each year, he tried out for Linganore High School basketball and never made the team. Instead, he worked as the team manager, but he never gave up.

"I always wanted the crowd to, ya know, storm the court at me. That was one of my dreams," said DeVries.

Tuesday night was senior night, the final game of Tyler's career. His coach, Tom Kraft, gave Tyler the school's one leftover uniform and near the end of the first quarter put him the game. But Tyler missed both of the shots.

With the playoffs on the line, the coach never planned to put him back in.

"You could just see the look on his face. He felt that he had failed. I was like Tyler you alright? I was like Tyler, we're gonna get you back in," said his teammate Danny Hennigan.

"I always tell the kids - rebounding and defense is about what you've got in your heart. How hard you're willing to work and there's no question they were working hard for Tyler," said Coach Kraft.

Soon the crowd was chanting Tyler's name. With a bigger lead and minutes left in the game, Tyler did go back in. He got the ball and scored at the buzzer.

"I can't believe it happened. I felt like Michael Jordan," said Tyler.

His teammate Hennigan says, "I got a little teary-eyed when I saw him make the shot. He lives down the street from me and whenever I'd walk out of the house, you'd always hear the ball bouncing. That's Tyler."

Tyler says he wants to represent everybody with a disability and anybody who has tried out for a team and did not make the cut. Linganore High heads to the playoffs now. They may win, but they will never score bigger than this.

~Sig created by SteelDuck~
GutterflowerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default Re: The Dream Shot

your link was not working, but i found the story and got it working ...

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/loca...devries-022410

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
GutterflowerSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
your link was not working, but i found the story and got it working ...

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/loca...devries-022410
THANK YOU!

~Sig created by SteelDuck~
GutterflowerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutterflowerSteel View Post
THANK YOU!
your most welcome... ... its to bad the video wasn't zoomed in on the kid when the ball went thru the hoop...it woulda been nice to see his reaction at that time.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Wow. That made me tear up.

Thanks for sharing.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote