Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-26-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,747 Times in 1,581 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers move focus to safety Clark

With two of their three priorities secured, the Steelers will try to lock up safety Ryan Clark before he can become an unrestricted free agent one week from today.

The Steelers and nose tackle Casey Hampton came to a three-year contract agreement Thursday worth $21.3 million that includes a $6.5 million signing bonus. Then, they placed the franchise tag on kicker Jeff Reed, meaning he will earn $2,814,000 in 2010 -- the average of the top five kickers in the NFL.

They declined to use the transition tag that was still available to them to protect some of their rights to Clark, a tag that expired at 4 p.m. Thursday. Had they done so, they would have paid him $6,011,000 this season. Instead, they hope to negotiate a multiyear contract with their starting free safety of the past four seasons.

Team officials had identified Clark, Hampton and Reed as their top priorities to sign before free agency begins.

"Ryan is one of the three starters ... we've taken care of one, moved closer with another and we'll continue to talk," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said in Indianapolis, where the NFL scouting combine opened Thursday. "With all of these guys, they want to stay, we want them to stay. Usually, when you have that type of mindset on both sides, it helps get deals done."

Clark, 30, often has said he wants to remain with the Steelers and continue to play with Pro Bowl strong safety Troy Polamalu, but Polamalu in a way could prevent that. Polamalu was the second-highest paid safety in the NFL last season and will count $8,295,000 against their salary cap in 2010. Clark believes he belongs among the best safeties in the league and surely will want to be paid as such.

"He's offering himself at hometown discount, so to speak," agent Joel Turner said. "We're not asking for more than most people would. Keep in mind, Ryan is the best free safety not only in unrestricted free agency but restricted free agency. He's the best free safety in the business ... he does a marvelous job of quarterbacking the defense. This is not a situation where this is some average guy. Ryan is superior at his position."

By placing the franchise tag on Reed, the Steelers virtually eliminated him from leaving in free agency. It would provide the Steelers with two first-round draft choices in return if he signs elsewhere.

"Our goal is to lock Jeff up long term and have him finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert said. "He's aware when the process gets to this point, we all need to buy some time. As long as players and agents are willing to stay with the team, and the team wants you, you're going to get a deal done. We want to keep Jeff as long as we can."

Hampton, who will be 33 years old next season, will remain with the Steelers through the 2012 season under the new deal. Hampton would have been paid a $7 million salary if he had been franchised.

"It was very important for our organization to have a player of Casey's caliber signed for what we hope is the rest of his career," Colbert said. "Casey has been a big part of our success, and we think he has a lot of football left. Plus, we think he's one of our true leaders, and to get this free-agency period kicked off early by getting him locked up, means a lot to our organization."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10057/1038745-66.stm
Old 02-26-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Re: Steelers move focus to safety Clark

So far it is running smoothly. We lock up Clark and Reed then start looking to the future with draft picks for need but still I know the FO will look for best player available. This years draft looks promising.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

sorry but clark does not deserve top 5-10 money
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I hope we do get Clark signed so we can go into the draft without having to have one guy or one position. We can just get BPA. I think Clark is a very good Safety and am optimistic about the Steelers getting a deal done that is beneficial to both sides.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
sorry but clark does not deserve top 5-10 money
It's tough to say Clark doesn't deserve 5-10 money. I would say he's definitely in the top 10 FS. Judging his performance this past year is difficult. Our CBs played so poorly, it's hard to say if Clark's game is going downhill. Trying to cover the mistakes at CB as well as the poor play at SS and still do your own job at FS is impossible in the NFL. Something tells me Clark isn't much worse than how he played in 2008 (remember some of the hits and pixs he had?) and that helped lead our team to a title. So is he worth the money?
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulldog24 View Post
I hope we do get Clark signed so we can go into the draft without having to have one guy or one position. We can just get BPA. I think Clark is a very good Safety and am optimistic about the Steelers getting a deal done that is beneficial to both sides.

Even with signing Clark/etc....we need to plan for the future at positions we need or will need...S is still a need, NT we need a replacement to be drafted soon, ILB (even backup OLBs)...C, even a stud OT...or CBs. You cant just say oh well theres a really good RB/WR/etc on the board lets take him cause he's the BPA. Thats NOT how you build through the draft. Now if the BPA is one of our positions of need/etc and the person is worth the pick then OK...though I'd rank some positions higher than others but still.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
fat4jc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3201

Quote:
Ryan is the best free safety not only in unrestricted free agency but restricted free agency. He's the best free safety in the business ...
Ummm, I like Clark and all, but, HuH?
fat4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,311 Times in 476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4jc View Post
Quote:
Ryan is the best free safety not only in unrestricted free agency but restricted free agency. He's the best free safety in the business ...
Keep in mind who made that statement.

Quote:
....agent Joel Turner said....
Every agent's client is "the best in the business" according to the agent.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4jc View Post
That whole paragraph where that sentence came from pretty much says it all to me. His agent is on crack if he thinks that Clark is the best FS in the NFL. He's not even close.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i dont know what i was saying before. clark is a top 10 but not a top 5. i can think of 5 others i would rather have but not 10. he definatly is not the best in the nfl by any means, hell look what sharper did last year compared to clark
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote