Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-26-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,304 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Nose tackles won't fall off Steelers' radar

INDIANAPOLIS -- Worried that Casey Hampton's new contract will cause the Steelers to forget about drafting a nose tackle who could still be his eventual replacement in an aging defensive line?

Don't be.

Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, said Hampton's new three-year deal -- $21.3 million with a $6.5 million signing bonus -- won't have any effect on what the Steelers might do with their first pick in the NFL draft.

"Absolutely none," Colbert said as he stood inside Lucas Oil Stadium, site of the NFL combine that began yesterday. "We said that anything we did in free agency is not going to change our philosophy of trying to draft defensive players."

Which means, Colbert said, the Steelers will not rule out the possibility of still drafting a nose tackle with the 18th overall pick, especially if one they like is available.

And they should have a shot at two -- Dan Williams of Tennessee and 365-pound Terrence Cody of Alabama.

"Short of a quarterback and a tight end, everything's wide open," he said.

Colbert won't talk specifically about any player at the combine, much less a nose tackle, but he called the entire crop of defensive lineman "the best I can remember in the 26 years I've been doing this."

It starts with Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy, defensive tackles who could go 1-2 in the draft. But it doesn't stop there. According to NFLdraftscout.com, four of the top 14 prospects and nine of the top 30 at the combine are defensive linemen. One of those is Penn State defensive end Jared Odrick, who can also play nose tackle.

"It's not only depth," Colbert said. "But it's the quality of that depth, as well."

By re-signing Hampton, the Steelers eliminated the urgency to find a nose tackle immediately. But, because Hampton will be 33 in September, that doesn't mean they won't be willing to draft a player they can groom to be his successor.

Especially when the Steelers have a long history of rookies rarely playing, much less starting in Dick LeBeau's defense. Even Troy Polamalu, their five-time Pro Bowl safety, sat for most of his rookie season before he was used only in substitution packages.

"I'm assuming our defense is no more complicated than anyone else' in the NFL," Colbert said. "Sometimes, we expect young players to step in and be impact guys. But it's more the exception than the rule.

"Not only is the competition stepped up dramatically but so is the learning curve. When we get young players playing a significant amount of time early, we think that's a bonus."

The Steelers started the process of re-tooling their defensive line last season when they drafted defensive end Ziggy Hood on the first round. Then, after releasing defensive end Sunny Harris, a sixth-round pick, in the final cut of training camp, they re-signed him to their active roster in October. They are hoping to further his development in the offseason.

"I don't think you can determine a player's success until two to three years down the road because there's a big adjustment," Colbert said. "The younger the player, the harder the adjustment because he might be skipping part of his development, which would be his senior year. I don't think you can honestly judge how a player did or didn't do until two or three years down the road."

Or about the time Hampton retires.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10057/1038743-66.stm

Feel free to move mods I wasn't for sure.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:59 AM   #2
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Re: Nose tackles won't fall off Steelers' radar

At least we have a good shot at his repacemebt in the draft.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

Dan Williams in the first, Corey Wooten in the 2nd
Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

I really cant see the Steelers investing the #18 pick(and the salary that goes with it), to sit behind a $21 Million contract, for 3 years. Especially if there is a lockout and Hampton's contract does not end until 4 years from now.

I can see a young guy taken in the 2nd or later to compete with Hoke and eventually be a replacement in 3 years, but not the #18 pick. It could happen, but I'll be completely shocked.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
It could happen, but I'll be completely shocked.
But will you eat you hat?

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
But will you eat you hat?
Others have said they consumed a hat in response to online sparring. So, I guess I would too. Words were spoken...promises made.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i would be happy with Dan Williams, Mike Iupati or Bryan Bulaga in the 1st. We definatly need a saftey but i dont trust Mays or Thomas in the 1st.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i would be happy with Dan Williams, Mike Iupati or Bryan Bulaga in the 1st. We definatly need a saftey but i dont trust Mays or Thomas in the 1st.
But you trust...

1) an undrafted Ryan Clark who will probably want too much money
2) a 6th round Ryan Mundy

Neither Mays or Thomas will start, and Thomas will be a better ball hawk, and Mays will be a better run stopper than either of the solutions we currently have.

THEN, we have Tyrone Carter as our first backup.

Safety is a big need this draft.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbroughneck View Post
But you trust...

1) an undrafted Ryan Clark who will probably want too much money
2) a 6th round Ryan Mundy

Neither Mays or Thomas will start, and Thomas will be a better ball hawk, and Mays will be a better run stopper than either of the solutions we currently have.

THEN, we have Tyrone Carter as our first backup.

Safety is a big need this draft.
I agree that safety is a big need in this draft, whether Clark signs or not. But I think Thomas is gonna go to the 49ers if he is still on the board. If they want to take the NFC west from the Crydinals, they need to matchup with Fitz, Boldin, Breaston, Doucet.......and secondary is a big need for them.

If nobody is worth the #18 pick, I would love to see the Steelers look at Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett in the 2nd round. For some reason I gotta feeling that we draft another Mizzou tiger in Weatherspoon to play ILB.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

I swear to god if we blow our first pick on a freaking DT (unless Suh or Mccoy is there by some MIRACLE) Im gonna scream. Second Pick? Maybe. First pick? NO! We have FAR bigger needs than drafting a replacement for a VERY good NT we'll have for at least 3 more years.

PLEASE be smart and take Earl Thomas or Joe Haden Steelers if they are available. PLEASE!
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote