Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
blitzburgh56
Water Boy

Member Number: 15815
Default What Position/ Who Do We Take in the First Round?

I personally would like to see us move up and get Joe Haden. I know a lot of people are against trading up and thats understandable. I just wanted to hear some thoughts on what position/who we will take in the first round. Now that Big Snack is resigned you would have to think secondary or O line in my opinion. If we stay put at 18, I hope Earl Thomas falls to us. Just want to hear your guys opinions.
blitzburgh56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814
Default Re: What Position/ Who Do We Take in the First Round?

Here's my take on positions of need:

ILB - Need to line someone up to take over for Farrior - Starter for 2011
OLB - No depth at all -- Harrison is up there in year (I know low mileage) - Need at least backup level talent.
DE - Still could use more youth here. Not a great need but there are a lot of good choices in this draft.
NT - With HAmpton re-signed the pressure if off but this is still a high need since Hampton is 32. I'm guessing 3rd rounder or so.
CB - Hard to say without knowing how K. Lewis is progressing but I think we need to add Quality here. Already nothing but backups aside from Ike.
FS - Mundy is the man at the moment with Clark unsigned. Lots of safeties in this draft - Makes me think round 2 is a good place to get one.
OL - Could be upgraded at pretty much any position.
RB/FB - Late round need.
TE - LAte round
WR - LAte round but wouldn't bet against FO picking one higher.

From all that I take that, provided good value is there in the first, FS, OL, ILB, CB are possbilities. ILB and OL are probably harder to find later on IMO.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Needs: DB: need depth all over defensive backfield
DL: Need depth and youth all over D-line
ILB: Farrior is no longer playing at his level
The steelers need to dress any one of these positions in the 1st round
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

With Snack and Skippy wrapped up, we don't need to lunge at any position. That said, I think the priorities are ILB, S, CB, OL, DL, OLB. But we have the luxury of BPA.

Who falls to us?

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

ILB Sean Weatherspoon ideal replacement for an aging Farrior
Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I also like Weatherspoon as our guy in the first. Especially if we are able to grab Cody in the second or Troup/C. Thomas in the third.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

CB- We have Ike Taylor and a bunch of guys who can't beat out Townsend
OL- We need a Center, Guard and Tackle...to go along with our new superior OL coach
LB- We need Depth
DL-we need Depth
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
CB- We have Ike Taylor and a bunch of guys who can't beat out TownsendOL- We need a Center, Guard and Tackle...to go along with our new superior OL coach
LB- We need Depth
DL-we need Depth
I don't think that they couldn't beat out Deshea because of lack of physical tools. We all know that coach LeBeau's scheme is very hard to master(Troy didn't even start his first year remember). I'm banking on Burnett and Lewis having the full season and two training camps under their belts at least one if not both will contribute next season. I guess that is one thing that sucks about having such a complicated scheme. Other teams O's can't figure it out which is good, but on the other hand it is hard for your rookies to come in and contribute right away. So when inujuries occur or a free agent vet leaves it is hard to just grab a rookie off the bench and plug them in. Plus so much of having a successful defensive backfield relies on the DB's familiarity with eachother.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,119 Times in 536 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

In the order of most needed:

CB
FS
OT/OG
ILB
DT
HB

Our first pick should be one of the following in order of importance (only people with a realistic chance of being on the board)

Eric Berry (maybe? Ive seen some mocks have him drop as as low as 17th so it may be possible but Im 99% sure he'll be gone)
Joe Haden
Earl Thomas
Kyle Wilson
Bryan Bulaga
Mike Iutapi
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
I don't think that they couldn't beat out Deshea because of lack of physical tools. We all know that coach LeBeau's scheme is very hard to master(Troy didn't even start his first year remember). I'm banking on Burnett and Lewis having the full season and two training camps under their belts at least one if not both will contribute next season. I guess that is one thing that sucks about having such a complicated scheme. Other teams O's can't figure it out which is good, but on the other hand it is hard for your rookies to come in and contribute right away. So when inujuries occur or a free agent vet leaves it is hard to just grab a rookie off the bench and plug them in. Plus so much of having a successful defensive backfield relies on the DB's familiarity with eachother.
Then what's Gays excuse? Every time you turned around Steeler DB's were Chasing after getting flat out beat....especially Gay and Carter....even Taylor wasn't immune...They need a corner who can be put on an island and let Polamalu go crazy....Taylor seems to play better when he has a better partner in crime ( see; MacFadden, Bryant) and Maybe Burnett and Lewis can be something but good corners usually contribute right away...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote